May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bear hunting

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
11 K Views
(@mooswa)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Do any of you bear hunt? The fall season is on and I will be getting serious here shortly. Lots of great things come from a bear besides a nice hide. Bear meat is very good if handled properly. Bear fat rendered produces beautiful snow white lard that makes excellent pastry as well as being used in a bunch of recipes for arthritis, skin balm, etc. Great leather preservative and boot grease as well.

Let no good deed go unpunished.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I used to do a lot of hunting and yes I hunted bear along with dear and moose but that was a long time ago.

ReplyQuote
(@mooswa)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm.......... thought you may have. I also smoke the hams like we do with pork and they are excellent. Have you tried that?

My wife swears that the bear lard makes the finest pastry. It is absolutely snow white and odorless when you are finished rendering it. I sure can't complain about the pie crusts. πŸ™‚

I do a lot of deer and moose hunting myself ICRCC. My wife and I were raised on moose meat and I have been guiding for them (and other things) for 35 years now.

Will be interesting to see how many others bear hunt. I have a great recipe for breakfast sausage done from bear meat and you would swear it was pork.

ReplyQuote
(@westcoastsurvival)
Trusted Member

Haven't yet plan is for next year. I have tried the meat and loved it. Only hunted deer and moose so far.

www.westcoastsurvivalsupply.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have never tried smoking meat. I bought a real nice smoker two years ago but I just haven't got round to using it yet. It is on the list. I love deer hunting and venison is by far my favorite meat. I still get a lot of moose and deer stakes given to me but not bear. I guess not too many people hunt bear which is a shame. With the spring bear hunt cancelled for many years now in Ontario there is a real nuisance bear problem. The MNR used to relocate them but that got too expensive. So now people call the police and they shoot them! That is definitely not wildlife management! Pitiful.

ReplyQuote
(@mooswa)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I hear you. We have a spring and fall season here, but............ we had a farmer killed by a black bear a couple years ago and since then all the bears caught but the MNR are killed. They do not advertise it, but that is the case.

Well get that smoker going. Heck, you can make some great venison sausage to.

This weekend I am doing some lake trout. They are in the brine right now.

ReplyQuote
(@mooswa)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well the lake trout is in the brine and will dry it tomorrow and then do the smoking.

Wife and I went bear hunting this evening and saw 11, but did not see what we want. Will try again tomorrow evening. We did see a beautiful young male that was a rich cinnamon colour. Just a gorgeous bear.

ReplyQuote
albertaborn
(@albertaborn)
Trusted Member

Bear meat and beaver meats to me are 2 of the best succulent meats out there, easily rivaling Pork.
I would rather eat either 1 than deer, and moose is such a dry meat compared to bear.
In my area we have 2 annual seasons, and there are dozens of bears in my area and a few right on my land. These I am not hunting because if dire need arrives large meat food sources close to home is a good advantage. Just have to teach them to respect us and our yard space, as we respect them and their space. If bears do not see your site as an easy place to find or acquire feed that is the first step.

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I have not personally hunted Bear, but I have eaten it both as a child and as a adult as different family members have over the years, I have always enjoyed it the way its been prepared.. I do second that beaver is lovey if done right.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member

Actually just got my hunting license, and now I'm going through the paperwork for the firearms. Have a tag for deer, just saving the cash for a crossbow. That way even my old man can use it (Bad shoulders, hips, and just about everything else on him!).

I have been interested in going up north for a hunt. I love rifles better than shotguns (I think it's more skillful, plus I'm a decent shot!). I've heard that the fall bear hunt lends to crappy hides vs. the now trashed spring season (Hopefully with all the bears in the city they'll reverse that). Any truth to the statement? I assume there would be more meat though, since they are fattening up for winter.

ReplyQuote
(@darwin)

Thought I would rehatch this thred lol spring bear is comeing!!!! whos ready

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Not in Ontario! πŸ™

ReplyQuote
(@darwin)

When does your season start? We got April 1st but it always sneeks up on me , I am only hunting cats right now. Do you guys have anything in season

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Aug. 15 to Oct. 31 and Sept. 4 to Nov. 30 depending on location. In Ontario the spring bear hunt was banned by the Liberal Government for "ethical reasons" in 1999. πŸ™„

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Actually it was the Conservatives that canned the hunt. Not everything wrong in Ontario is the Fiberals fault πŸ˜†

http://www.iwmc.org/IWMC-Forum/JamesLawrence/040209-01.htm

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network