May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Prepper Portable Power Options when Bugging Out

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
Che
 Che
(@che)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a few ideas for power where bugging out is concerned. I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has any other options. The only 3 practical means of power generation when bugging out, as far as I can tell, will be solar, wind and thermoelectric. I'd love to hear people thoughts on this for an upcoming project.

What are your portable power plans? What devices do you have? If you had to bugout today what would be imperative to have power for?

Intelligent Survival Networking for Enhancing Knowledge and Resources
Ontario Preppers Ontario Preparedness
http://oi41.tinypic.com/2856ib.jpg

(@singlecell)
Estimable Member

Ive carried this on me in my EDC bag every day since November 2013. It has never failed me although sometimes in a bag occasionally it does switch off accidentally. I've charged my phone, my bike lights and my ipod with it. I've charged two phones at the same time. It's a lifesaver on the go, in transit. Just hook your cellphone up to it, throw it jn your pack and go. It's saved my ass countless times while meeting people or not having a ride, being in a power outage or being stuck in a placertain without it.. It charges fully jn about 5 hours. I've ran out of power only ONCE since November 2013 when I forgot to charge it for a week. THAT SAID...

I've never used the solar panel. I decided to keep it safe for emergencies, since the company has mentioned through email that they will sell the battery independently. Even when I was camping for over a week on a canoe trip the battery was so huge that I didn't need the panel. The panel folds out and comes with a tough velcro strap you could strap in your backpack or handlebars on a canoe or on top of a car, four wheeler, whatever. It is covered in the same tough rubber coating that the battery comes with.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-524/power-traveller-powermonkey-extreme-solar-charger/?bc=

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

http://biolitestove.com/products/biolite-campstove

The product is somewhat limited to providing small amounts of power....but applying this on a larger scale on yer one is possible...

The price point for $130 bucks is reasonable and it will do radios, phones, recharge batteries.

I cant help but note it feels like the "city camper" style product....but so convenient. 😉

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I use my Eton FRX 2..can charge anything with USB or miniUsb connection via solar or hand crank..it's also a flashlight and radio/weather radio
http://www.etoncorp.com/en/productdisplay/frx2-american-red-cross

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@tradesman)
Trusted Member

I use my Eton FRX 2..can charge anything with USB or miniUsb connection via solar or hand crank..it's also a flashlight and radio/weather radio

I too have a few similar Eton radio, flashlight chargers that have solar and crank.

ReplyQuote
(@heavychevy)
Eminent Member

I have the BioLite stove in my pack. Very niffy little unit. Its a power source as well as a very hot burning stove. The only downside I have come across is it needs very small piece of wood/fuel and it burns through it rather quickly so you do have to keep an eye on it to keep it going and you have to take your pot off each time to add more fuel... small down sides.

ReplyQuote
(@underprepared)
Estimable Member

I've thought long and hard about this issue, and don't have any 100% solid answers but here are my thoughts anyway:
I try to imagine bugging out in really specific terms, answering questions in my mind like "why am I bugging out", "where am I going", "how am I getting there", "how long will this event last", etc..... ->
What I've come to accept in the realm of "bugging out" is that there are really only 2 categories of bugging out, regardless of the reason.
Category 1: You have means of motive transport. In this category, you have a working vehicle. Therefore, you have a means of charging equipment via the power outlet of the vehicle. Your main concern then is simply having enough gas to get from A to B.
Category 2: You have no means of motive transport. In this category, you don't have a working vehicle and chances are no one else does either (EMP event, for example). Therefore, you are carrying everything you need on your back or by some other physical means of transport. In this category, all items not critically important to the mission will be discarded simply out of necessity. No cell phones, ipods, etc... will be used. You may carry them with you, but only because you know that where you're going has a means to charge them and you really want the data on them (assuming they're still even functional). You're likely traveling by day and would rather walk in the shade than in the sun, so strapping a solar panel to your back would be nearly useless. BioLite stoves (et al) are cool devices, but at max 2W @ 5V they're not going to keep many things charged. At least they're better than nothing, and since you're going to want to boil water or warm food anyway then they may make some sense to carry with you. Another possibility would be a hand crank generator. They're small and may get you enough power for a few minutes of radio function.
The absolute best thing I can recommend is divest yourself of virtually all need for electronic devices. In the end they'll be the "keeper" items in your bug out bag after a few short days on the road.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well said "underprepared".....

I have struggled over this..I can;t for the life of me understand WHY anyone would want to be carrying all that stuff UNLESS it was for a few days "bug out" due to an evacuation or something along those lines....then I can see it....

in a SHTF situation, a really worthy Bug Out...the roads will be littered with these "portable power options" that make no damn sense at all.....

Let me explain my point....IF a situation that is so massive that it causes mass Bug Out...who are you going to call?.....what "Radio" station are you planning on listening to?...some person sitting on their battery operated ham set with NO information and just as lost and confused as you and everyone else?...for how long?...EMP/CME, hacking attacks etc take down the grid....EVERYTHING will collapse in short order right behind right?....No hydro at all means no refrigeration...food is gone through very quickly, NO factories or processing plants are making more food...No Food...society becomes ravenous, riots, murders and mauraders looking for food from anywhere start to happen....with in 4 weeks....it is in mayham....so what are you "charging?....what are your dire NEEDS that require this approach?...

SO, why drag along all this stuff?.....better to save the weight and space for food and water and extra clothing....

what possible "needs" are there that would precipitate hauling chargers and portable power?...not one single one that I can think of..lots of gizmos and gadgets that are supposed to make life easier....but NONE that are NEEDS....

Different views from different folks I know....and this is just mine......but as I see it...if people are bugging out...they are going to be in a world of crap to start with....very very few have EVER hiked for days on end carrying over 100lb packs...tense, alert and scared crapless....and on top of that..I would hope that people are traveling cross country and not wandering down streets...just to add to the "discomfort"....is it pertinent to carry power chargers and such?....

If you feel that it is...all the power to you...having served in the Military and carried fully loaded rucks for days on exercises and such....there is NO electronics that need chargers etc., not anything that I would add into my kit...added weight and space taken up...ie: a GPS...take a map and compass...their "power" doesn;t die and leave you screwed...a flashlight?...great for short periods...take Military 12 and 18 hr glow sticks....or a candle...

Historically our forebearers didn;t have all this crap....they survived, excelled and thrived on hard work....and BASIC tools and knowledge.....only they just called it LIFE.....

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network