May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bowling League or Pool League

18 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You know folks, there are many people who have been to this site and have tried to get meetings going with little success, while others have done very well.
Maybe it's time to organize a bowling or pool league that gets together once a week. If there was one in each of the larger towns such as Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Whitecourt, Rocky Mountain House, Bonneville and more, then preppers could meet preppers.
NOW...
There likely is already some leagues on the go now correct? Just regular leagues where people get together. So preppers could join these leagues and agree to meet other preppers at the location, then after a game, they could sit down out of the way and chat.

If prepper leagues were put together (we wouldn't advertise them this way) then think about it. The problem with many of these meetings is where and when they are held in relation to when people can get out. But they are one time events and there are presentations and speakers etc. If preppers knew that each Tuesday let's say, there were people getting together at Bob's Pub to play pool, then they might be able to make it there once or twice a month.
No Pressure!!
If you were driving through another town for some reason, you could go to their league and meet new people.
Now there is something to go to where we can chat and make friends. You would get to know each other better over time.
OKAY... I'm ready, Naysayers attack!!
But I think a league in Red Deer might pop up in the next little while.

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

I'm game
And attack lol

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
 ASA
(@asa)

Even more difficult if you are in a remote area.

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well yes ASA, you're correct.
But for those living in remote areas, working in camps most of the time, busy with family obligations etc. This would give them more chances to meet others rather than at one time events like big meetings.
Again if there was something happening each week at the same place and same time, then there is more opportunity to get to at least one that fits into peoples schedules.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

Agreed I like while I can't make every week I could do every other week still

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

Are there drop-in leagues? I thought it was a weekly commitment?

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

This is an interesting idea as I can confirm that the normal Calgary organizers are burnt out and/or moved away...
There won't be many big meetups unless someone else steps up.

I have been finding it difficult just to keep up on the forums once a month tbh...

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Dang howdy!
Yes this is why I thought of this. It is so difficult. I have missed so many meets because of time, travel and obligation.
I think next month being April I will be able to start something in Red Deer.
I would like to see other people attempt the same where it is convenient for them too. This will cut down travel time which is one of the most common reasons people miss meetings.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

I just want to see if anyone besides the regular organizers take the bull by the horn and make something happen I'm gonna be doing a meeting next month by the looks of it in red deer but it will be somewhere cheap because no one helps out with cost either. I know as preppers we all have a tight budget but if something was to happen wouldn't you rather have people in your corner you can trust rather than total strangers who might never trust you because they can't risk it. Just my two bits I'm kind of burnt out from doing meetings in lethbridge and starting in red deer but will keep trying to make new friends because that's why we are all on this network to you guessed it network and learn

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

We let the Meetup Group stand down.
You need to have an Organizer and someone to pay for it each year. With the original initiator gone now, we decided to let dogs lie.

I guess I should do a new thread on the AB post to let everyone know.

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Meetup is a great site but it can get intensive and repetitive.
I don't have a time and place locked down but I hope to before the end of the month.

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, there is a place in Red Deer called "The Corner Pocket".
2310 50 Avenue
Red Deer, AB
403-343-6262
It's on the south side tucked in behind Bo's Bar and Grill.
It's a family place with a bar and kitchen.
After chatting with them Wednesdays and Sundays would work best.
Tuesdays, Thursdays-Saturdays apparently are very busy.

ReplyQuote
 smor
(@smor)
Eminent Member

I know this is an old post but did anyone get anything going?

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sunday August 23, 2015. 7 pm at The Corner Pocket in Red Deer.
2310-50 Avenue in behind Bo's Grill.
This date can be changed if for example Saturday works better for enough folks. The time of day is negotiable as well, but for now let's aim for 7 pm.
Duffman has a coffee meeting at the south side McDonald's next to Canadian Tire on Aug.15.

ReplyQuote
 smor
(@smor)
Eminent Member

That sounds great, may make it but still a long hike from Edmonton!! Sunday is the only day we have available due to work.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network