May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Victoria Members

48 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
17 K Views
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

The -5R is usually what the consensus says is your good, basic, and cheap setup.

Knowing how to use it, and having pre-planned frequencies based on time, etc is another:)

Count me in for southern Vancouver island. It's a big island, and anything south of Campbell river is in the same group as I see it. You guys have 4 ways out of victoria. air, water, port renfrew, and the Malahat. You know what 95% will choose to use. Plan accordingly:)

But a common contact frequency is definitely a good idea!

As is a regular meetup. Anyone for late March?

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@trek29)

Hello, I'm new to the group and learning how to be a prepper. I'm by Tillicum Mall, in the upper floors of an apartment building that could be good in some cases but not so sure if we'd still be standing after a big earthquake. For that reason I mainly have a bug out bag/survival pack right now. Still working on my plan 🙂
My skills are in outdoor survival and learning archery. I have an interest in learning more about wild edibles and medicinal plants!

ReplyQuote
(@jalardos)

im also new here, are there any preppers around the Duncan area on here?

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I'm on the Other side of nanaimo.

"Wild edibles of BC" is available at every books store around here- a must have!

Jonesy

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@black-badge)

Just settling near Ogden Point. We have been prepping for years. It has seemed to us that the Island would be an excellent place to wait out...whatever...unless whatever happens to the Island. Thoughts?

BB

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

It's got it all; climate, low pop density, except Victoria of course. Upwind of every North American nuke plant. With the exception of esquimalt / Ogden, and comox, not much strategic value to target. Some wildlife, lots of fresh water, etc.

Good spot indeed.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@vicprepper)

Hi Folks, I’ve been offline for quite a long time and just catching up on the thread. It seems it went silent last year. Is there still an appetite for a meet up?

I am currently rethinking my entire setup and going to make it lighter, more mobile with a modular component that will enable quick adjusting on the fly.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Always looking to meet up, although my schedule varies enough time that I need some notice beforehand. Drop a PM if you like....

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@vicprepper)

Cool, just sent you a PM

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

got no PM....

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@vicprepper)

Weird I’ll send again

ReplyQuote
(@vicprepper)

For some reason it isn’t letting me send a PM, it’s just putting it in my outbox. Can you PM me pls?

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Done. Sitting in my outbox as well. Sometimes it takes a few post for you to be active....

The IPN confirmation email worked for you?

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@bugged-in)

New to this site, first post.
I live on 8 acres of dense forest and south facing farm land, just south of Duncan.
I am in the process of building three additional small housing units on the property, and rejuvenating old farm and garden space.
The goal is to be fully off grid by next summer.
Echoing previous posts on this thread, I’m down for a meetup, where things like radios, alternate routes in a catastrophe, and island survival tactics could be discussed.
We could also organize group training days/skill shares.
I know this thread hasn’t been touched in a while, but here’s hoping some of you are still around.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Congratulations on your first post. I'd love to meet up with you, but I live outside Halifax. Having spent some time on the island (teaching wilderness skills at Strathcona Park Lodge) I envy your location. Really nice area!

I have two sons in Victoria today. They will compete in the Ironman being run later today.

Good luck with your farm. It sounds great.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network