May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A New Take on Winter Boots for a BOB?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Howdy All,

Just received a e-flyer from Campmor dot com. They sell outdoor gear. One of the items featured is an over-boot type winter boot. These may be worth your time to take a look at to either purchase or to make your own at home. Some are lightly insulated and designed to be worn over your normal shoes or boots. They pack up small and are lightweight, two criteria that are favourable for being included in a bugout bag bag used in Northern climates.

Here is the link:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000228_200368788?cm_cat=TRAILMAIL&cm_ite=TrailMail-January182013&cm_pla=49439&cm_ven=EMAIL

I only learned of these today, and no, I do not have a pair but I would be very interested to hear from anyone who may already own these and what you think about them.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

(@phuqd)
Estimable Member

They seem very similar to gaitors, except of course that they cover the whole foot, instead of just down to the soles.
We deal with a lot of corrosive materials where I work, and when working in vessels that contain them, we are often required to wear "overboots" that are very similar to the ones you have posted.

Personally I find them to be a pain. They are usually tough to get on and off, and never fit perfectly to your existing boots, so there is a lot of "play" in them.
I buy waterproof hikers, a half size large for extra socks, and wear gaitors if I want to stay dry above the ankle.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Seems like a great addition to a car kit. Nothing makes you cold faster than soggy feet.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Mr & Mrs W,

Thanks for the real world appraisal of this type of footwear.

It looks like they would work well over a pair of mukluk liners or felt booties.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@profamilia)

neos are the way to go. I love them 😀 you can pick up a pair at http://radicaledgequeen.blogspot.ca/ down town Fredericton or any of the kit shops on base like 2rcr kit shop or armoured school kit shop and so on

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

For cold it's hard to beat rubber bottom, nylon top boots with the felt liners. You can get them cheap enough that you could throw a pair in the car and forget about them.
I bought cheap ones for wife and kid for less than $25 a pair at CT. Snowmobile boots for a bit more have a stiffer sole.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network