May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Baofeng mystery please help!

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
colonelchimp
(@colonelchimp)
Topic starter  

Hi there guys, looking for some tech heads to save my own head from exploding trying to work out the following problem i have.....I am not a tech head so please.....be gentle hahaha

I have a baofeng uv5r that is a great little radio for the money, i have one, i am in the local fire department, and with the blessing of my fire department, i have the frequencies tuned into the radio, which helps as i am not near the dept, so it keeps me in comms, as i am often on scene first, and frees up one of the depts radios, anyway, my problem lies in the fact that all the channels work except the main one that we communicate on, it is programmed exactly to the frequency but, i can hear them fine but they cannot hear me, and it's typical that its our main channel that wont work, i have tried to date the following....wiping and reprogramming the whole range of channels, ..wiping and reprogramming just the faulty channel, transmitting to a scanner, which shows the correct frequency, AND i can hear my transmission through the scanner, so i know i am actually transmitting on that frequency,
i have even had a dept radio the scanner and my baofeng next to each other on the desk, and i can hear the dept radio fine through my radio and the scanner, but the scanner is the only one that makes a sound when i transmit from the bao to the dept radio.....help my brain hurts hahahahah 🙄

(@denob)
Member Admin

Are you programming with the keypad on the radio or using CHIRP on a PC?

ReplyQuote
colonelchimp
(@colonelchimp)
Topic starter  

Are you programming with the keypad on the radio or using CHIRP on a PC?

i am using the keypad on the unit, which works fine for all but that one dag nabbit channel lol

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

When I did my amateur license in 2015, I ran into an issue with the local nets - one of the senior dudes gave me some advice that worked - you can give it a try, assuming your fire dept is using a repeater:

although the repeater is listed as requiring CTCSS, it, it may not transmit a CTCSS tone, so if your receiver requires the tone, it won't hear anything. For a Baofeng radio, try setting R-CTCS to OFF, rather than the repeaters CTCSS tone. This will allow any signal received to go to the speaker. If T-CTCS is set to the repeater CTCSS tone, you will still be able to transmit through the repeater. Many older radios can only operate this way, as they can send a tone but have no way to detect one.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@myrrdan)

I was going to suggest the same thing. if you can hear but can't transmit, its gotta be an issue with the ctcss tone.
are you still having issues or did this fix it?

ReplyQuote
(@gerardo)
Eminent Member

And are you sure you are transmitting in the right frequency? For repeaters is usually in 2m usually have an offset or + or - 600KHz and in 70c an offset of +- 5MHz

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network