May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Best handheld Radios available in Canada.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As the title suggest I am looking for advice on the best handheld radio's available for sale in Canada. I am thinking range, battery life and accessories available for tactical applications (handsfree talk etc). I would need a minimum 6 or 8 and money is not a factor. What is the best I can get today and where do I find them ?.

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I suppose it depends on what you mean by tactical. Communication security involves:
1. Frequency/Band of operation - The distance involved between team members in tactical operations usuallly involve only short distances.
2. Band Security - this may be best served by a dedicated digital channel that is secured.
3. Sound Security - This has more to do with the microphone and speaker than it does the radio. You want to insure that people standing in close proximity cannot hear what the user is saying, or what's being received.

My tactical team used a headset with a throat mike for this purpose (Harrris CJ Falcon or similar throat/bone conduction mike). This also aids in ambient sound not overwelming the listener/speaker.

If a multi-band, submersible with WiFi is of interest. I'd start my search with the Motorola APX8000. It's a MILSPEC Project 25 Radio that meets Police Tactical requirements. I believe they cost around $3000 each. They're really dependable and hard to damage. Motorola has other P25 models that cost less...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

That depends on what bands you intend to use. Are we talking the Ham bands?

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That depends on what bands you intend to use. Are we talking the Ham bands?

Denob I do not know. I am assuming so. But I know nothing about communications and my military experience is limited to inserting batteries, changing frequencies at set times and exercising radio discipline. I was a user of what was available 20 years ago.

I want something which will allow a group of people to all communicate with each other in a grid down situation. I am assuming that legal enforcement of bands and licensing in that situation is not a factor.

I need advice on equipment. Quality and functionality.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Anyone has leads on Baofeng these days? On another thread, someone said they bought some from RapidSurvival, but they don’t list those anymore.

I’d like to add a couple UV5R to the 2 I currently have.

Also, has anyone tried the whip “tactical” antennas listed everywhere on eBay? They look like the ones I use with MBTRs and they make a good difference when unfolded, not sure if they are just Chinese AirSofters gimmicks or they actually work.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Anyone has leads on Baofeng these days? On another thread, someone said they bought some from RapidSurvival, but they don’t list those anymore.

I’d like to add a couple UV5R to the 2 I currently have.

Also, has anyone tried the whip “tactical” antennas listed everywhere on eBay? They look like the ones I use with MBTRs and they make a good difference when unfolded, not sure if they are just Chinese AirSofters gimmicks or they actually work.

Thanks

pm sent

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

The uv5r’s were pulled from stock everywhere.
The 9r replaced it but with limitations from what I understand.
Rapid hooked me up with a bulk buy of them a couple years back.
I wouldn’t really call them reliable, not in the same class as professional radios anyway.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network