May 20, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Thieving Rodents

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

We had such high hopes for the garden this year. We watered and watered, cared for the plants, ripped out weeds by the fistful, did mostly raised beds. This should have been a great year for us, but the thieving little rodent tree rats (squirrels) stole the majority of our produce. What should have been a bumper crop of cherry tomatos and zuccini turned into barely enough for us. We have given up hope of harvesting even one butternut squash.

I'm Pi$$ed! I mean really ticked off!

I need help with a solution...no fences or fancy chicken wire cloches are gonna do the trick here. I'm almost to the point of going full on ghilli suit sniper on these buggers! Anyone have an idea? I require a FINAL solution.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

We had such high hopes for the garden this year. We watered and watered, cared for the plants, ripped out weeds by the fistful, did mostly raised beds. This should have been a great year for us, but the thieving little rodent tree rats (squirrels) stole the majority of our produce. What should have been a bumper crop of cherry tomatos and zuccini turned into barely enough for us. We have given up hope of harvesting even one butternut squash.

I'm Pi$$ed! I mean really ticked off!

I need help with a solution...no fences or fancy chicken wire cloches are gonna do the trick here. I'm almost to the point of going full on ghilli suit sniper on these buggers! Anyone have an idea? I require a FINAL solution.

We’ll during hunting season, I took advantage of the season to whack every squirrel around my home. That dropped the gang down to one guy still left. His or her days are numbers as well.
If shooting isn’t an option,there’s trapping. All legal of course!

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

I had a similar issue with what little grew this year. I realise you said no cage but this was the kind of thing that I was looking at

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I have lots of squirrels, Never had a problem with them going after my garden. I like having them around, but should the day come that they need to be turned into stew meet. Then a solution has been plotted πŸ˜€ . I recommend a 22 cal CO2 pellet pistol, right at 395 ft per sec.

Ignore the rough condition of this piece, it has seen nearly 30 years of hard, hard use.

Pick up a used, near match grade, type co2 in .22 cal, single shot only , The benefits are, longer barrel=longer sighting plane. Near match grade has way better trigger adjustments.I can recommend some models if you are interested but the googler will find you some quality pieces (most likely European, and eastern European types. Get on domestic air gun forums, and watch what is for sale on the used market. Good used deals can be found on brands like Walther and such. Expect to pay 400-700, but quality has its own rewards. In my case 30 years use without parts breakage.I have cheaper types...I don't use them for serious work. Using quality even in air gun class is a step into a different world.

By the way a quality piece like this, can take down Squirrels, rabbit, and prarrie chickens (fool hens). From front blade to Rear sight is something like 14 inches, that makes pellet placement very accurate! This piece was loaned out a few ago to a friend who was having cat problems in the city. I was informed that thanks to the accuracy of this unit, that at yard distances, it will stop a cat in its tracks.

By the way this is the only 22 cal CO2 pellet pistol of this brand in Canada, They only came into Canada in .177 cal. I had to machine my own barrel in .22 cal barrel to fit the receiver. Machined a few other things as well.

Of course. rat traps will likely do the job as well!! But whats the fun in that?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network