May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bug deterrents

22 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

... A small paper bag opened and tied off at the top with string hanging in a doorway or window will also help keep flies + wasps out. Well thats my bug hints, hope some of them work for you.

I've tried this with mixed results. Once it seemed to work, as a wasp nest was abandoned. This morning however, I had to destroy a wasp nest under my deck, which was less than 10 feet from a paper bag which I had hoped would work... πŸ™‚

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@entropy)
Reputable Member

some plants may help, but Bats, dragon flies and birds have helped me with mosiquitos.
last summer after adding the bird feeder was the first time i could be in the yard in the summer, the mositquitoes love me, and swarm me like mad.
i did bait the pond to kill the babies. but last year there was also more drangon flies hanging out. i've thought about adding smaller fish to the pond (some feeder gold fish) but the turtles would just get them. the hawks and cranes get the bigger ones.

i planted chrysanthemum by the garden and between them the toads i never had bugs in the garden.

adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

Bug netting?...sounds extreme I know, but I know some people swear by it

It gets so freaken bad here it's bug jacket/ head piece pants and chain saw boots or head net and sweater/ pants. Sometimes I break down and use deet family cream. Citronella seems to be ok but is harmful too they say. I've heard theirs a baby cream that works well but I haven't tried it. Sucks working with fall clothing on.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Yard-Maintenance/Insect-Animal-Cntrls/Insect-Controls/Liquid/900mL-Concentrated-Mosquito-Garlic-Oil/_/N-ntlknZ2ppt/R-I5047145

give this try, works amazing for myself an many friends that use it

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@entropy)
Reputable Member

i've had many bad years of mosquitoes, i've had to bait the pond to kill the larva the last two years and i think it's part of the reason things are better. the other part is i put out bird feeders, and they have helped a lot! the number of dragon flies have increase the last few years and on some evenings there are dozens in my lane and i saw no less then 300 driving down two roads on my way to work (about 2km) big swarms of them hunting.

of course bats help, so attracting some of them would help. i see bats feeding by my front lights each morning just before the sun really comes up. they hunt near the lights because that's where the bugs hang out. even with the light out the bugs still end up there. setting up a small solar light in an area you want to attract bugs will gather them for others to feed on them.

i have a ton of toads, and frogs on my property, i never had any bugs in my garden, the toads were happy there and in future i'll be leaving little places for them to live.

hit back on every level!

adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Yard-Maintenance/Insect-Animal-Cntrls/Insect-Controls/Liquid/900mL-Concentrated-Mosquito-Garlic-Oil/_/N-ntlknZ2ppt/R-I5047145

give this try, works amazing for myself an many friends that use it

Per your earlier recommendation, I gave to my daughter to try and she believes it worked in her cedar bush area

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

It's $10.00 cheaper at Canadian Tire. πŸ™‚

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network