May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hello! Question for Ontario residents - communities?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@julie)
Topic starter  

Hey there πŸ™‚

I'm new to prepping, relatively speaking, but my family and I are taking it very seriously and we have begun researching various aspects in earnest.

Right now, we're looking for property in Ontario in the countryside that may be suitable for building a bunker. We've concluded that buying property around like-minded individuals or communities is the way to go. Ideally, we would buy land with another couple or two so that we could pool our resources and work together to build something after the dust settles. Unfortunately, this isn't exactly a "common" lifestyle and I don't want to be viewed as silly, despite the fact that it is actually the most sensible thing I think a person can plan for. In any event, this means that we haven't been advertising our "hobby" and so it's hard to find like-minded people. We are taking this very, very seriously - so much so that we are prepared to invest in an expensive bunker and land that we wouldn't have purchased otherwise. It would be GREAT though to share the experience with other couples, or families - people who would like to be involved or perhaps even interested in scooping up land nearby wherever we wind up. Until that happens - if that happens, finding people interested in what we're doing that is, we're forging onwards on our own. So here are a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help with:

1) Where would you purchase land that is suitable for farming and on/near a water and hunting source? It HAS to be 3 hours or less from Toronto, as we have two small children and long weekend commutes aren't easy for us. Plus, we'll be commuting back and forth to move things, etc. The land can be vacant, or it can have a structure on it already. But it can't be too close to a lake as I'm advised by my bunker contact that this isn't a good idea when building structures underground.

2) Where are there other communities of preppers - or places close by/near them, in Ontario?

If we get vacant land, that's fine, but it can't be protected. We have to be able to build and excavate on it. We'd also like to be close enough to hydro to make that an option, if necessary, though the goal is to eventually build up a self-sustainable property with independent energy sources. We'd like to use the land as a hobby farm and enjoy it for weekends in addition to it's practical prepping purpose.

If any of you has a family with small kids, and have been contemplating something along the lines of what we've been trying to accomplish, I'd love to hear from you. It would be great to share this experience with others, and have kids that can get to know each other.

If anyone has also been thinking of getting a bunker, I'm not opposed to the idea of a communal bunker necessarily - but close by is better than living in a confined space with others if we can help it. It's very pricey, so you should be able to at least have some financial means if you think you're interested in something along the lines of what we're proposing. Again, we aren't just looking for a place we can crash while we wait out any disaster. We're thinking long term, and it takes a village, right? We want to be able to build something after the dust settles - a self-sufficient place where we don't have to be alone in the longterm.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom, or for reaching out. I look forward to getting to know many of you better, and thanks for accepting me into your community! πŸ™‚

(@denob)
Member Admin

Hello Julie and welcome to the forum.
I would suggest considering this event in Desboro...
http://annualpreppersmeet.com/
Hundreds of like mided people there, mostly from Ontario...a great place to meet others.

ReplyQuote
(@julie)
Topic starter  

Hello Julie and welcome to the forum.
I would suggest considering this event in Desboro...
http://annualpreppersmeet.com/
Hundreds of like mided people there, mostly from Ontario...a great place to meet others.

I'm afraid we have to miss it this year due to a scheduling conflict πŸ™ I would love to go. Are there any other events closer to the city?

ReplyQuote
(@julie)
Topic starter  

Protector, if you see this, I can't respond to your message from the email system they have here πŸ™ If you can email me directly at (removed so it does not go public) I will be happy to respond! Cheers πŸ™‚

Hi Julie, our system requires that you must have three posts before you can use the pm system.. as I see that you have posted at least a few times it will open up.. I have removed the email so you do not get loaded with spam. Once these are posted, check and see if you can use the pm now? Please and thanks Farmgal

ReplyQuote
(@julie)
Topic starter  

Oh I see, that's Farmgal. I'll check. I want people to be able to email me, so I posted it again in another post but with the at and dot written. I'm not worried about spam in that account, it's only used for this forum. Thanks for looking out for me though πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Your welcome.. ok, if you are sure you want to give a email address. I will leave it in from now on.. these posts are public to the net so the bots will be on it within days to weeks and spam will be a issue πŸ™‚

sorry about not explaining it in each of the posts, I thought this one would go up first πŸ™‚

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Oh I see, that's Farmgal. I'll check. I want people to be able to email me, so I posted it again in another post but with the at and dot written. I'm not worried about spam in that account, it's only used for this forum. Thanks for looking out for me though πŸ˜‰

Hi Julie,
If you look to the right of each post, there is a contact icon that any user can click to send you an email or a pm...an easy way to have contact info available without the spam bots picking it up.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network