May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Cheap DIY boat for fishing

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Found this video yesterday and thought I would share...
http://youtu.be/XY2YuO_BD1c
Might add this to the project list if I can find the time.

ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

Not bad, but for for myself, I think a length of capped 4-6 inch PVC along both sides would make me feel safer.

"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Not bad, but for for myself, I think a length of capped 4-6 inch PVC along both sides would make me feel safer.

Good idea for an upgrade!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Cute. He should have been siting more in the centre of his boat, but with a window it would be difficult. I would recommend using PL-400 construction Adhesive and then seal the inside of the joints with the silicone. Also, foam swim noddles, the 3" or 4" diameter type are about 5' long. Cut one in half length-wise and glue and screw that to the exterior of the gunwhales, might help keep it afloat.

http://yostwerks.com/MainMenu.html

Here is a website with lots of photos and plans for seaworthy kayaks, some can be taken apart and transported in a large duffle bag or suitcase. I am sure some will enjoy the concepts here. See below for a sample.

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

🙂 I had forgotten about these. It is like my first boat many years ago. The only difference was that we used three sheets of 1/2 inch plywood it was 4 feet wide with higher sides. We even put a small outboard on it! It gave many years of service and many fishing trips. Once we upgraded to a "real" boat we still took it along and towed it as a barge to carry supplies. Simple often works.

ReplyQuote
(@runswithscissors)
Estimable Member

I've been experimenting with wearing my chest waders and scuba fins while floating on/in an innertube. I won't say I've been completely successful in using it for prolonged fishing. Still working out the kinks.
I have learned not to do this sort of thing in late April/early May.

Runs with Scissors

Runs With Scissors

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmm... please be careful with the chest waders in that scenario. If you spring a leak with the inner tube they will drown you. Make sure you wear a flotation device. Not trying to be your "Dad''' .. just maybe seeing a different angle.

ReplyQuote
(@runswithscissors)
Estimable Member

No. Your right. Looking back now, it's sort of crazy how much a full chest wader weighs when it fills with water. Luckily - and it influences all my attempts now - I was only in about 4 feet of water and I managed to get myself figured out. That was attempt number one.

Attempt 2 I tried to make up some kind of harness seat to keep myself set in the tube, and not just sitting on top - which makes for difficult casting with a fly rod. I'll probably to this way, once I figure out my knots and weaves and what nots. Also, I've modified my waders with a quick release kind of shoulder strap, so this time if I take a dunk I can just slip out of them.

Runs with Scissors

Runs With Scissors

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Suggestion... get a set of neoprene boot foot waders. They will have a positive buoyancy. Here is a link to a cool project like you want to do. Cheers
http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/new/forum/index.php/topic?f=16&t=642

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My buddy @ envirosponsible.com, look up on YouTube,
created a very cheap boat, used a car carrier, modified it a bit and floated around in a lake and Lake Ontario as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/envirosponsible?feature=g-user-u
search for boat
http://www.youtube.com/user/envirosponsible/videos?query=boat

He shows what he did and how to make it better, just some food for thought.
~WildE

ReplyQuote
(@blueflash)
Trusted Member

do a google search or youyube search on " puddle duck boat "....basically a jon boat, that is really cheap & easy to make.

ReplyQuote
(@ratts)
Eminent Member

Got to love the newer pontoon boats get them real cheap in AB due to the colder waters lol, they work great for moving or still water and are real easy to pack around.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network