April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Farming/livestock etc

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hi Folks..

So how are your winter layers doing.. if they have been laying over the winter.. moulting is coming..

Do you have a mixed aged flock so your older girls will pick up in the spring light hours?

Do you have ducks? Its time for the duck hens to start laying very soon..

I see folks starting to put their first trays of eggs in to set to hatch so they have chicks ready for the first of the bird sale shows coming in the end of march or the first weeks of April?

I am personally not adding to my flocks this year at all.. in fact depending I might make them even smaller.. This is the year to me, that I want to go lean.. I am bringing in a good supply of feed.. and I want to be able to know how long it will last.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

We have 11 girls now, ranging from 1-4 years old. We’ve had more eggs that we could use though the winter, averaging 5/day though 6-7 have been the norm for the past couple of weeks. We bartered eggs (got great jellies in return) or gifted them to our neighbours.

Larger coop (12x12), on a mix of layer ration and scratch with sunflowers and dried worms treats from time to time. No artificial light and heat only when the temperature dipped to “its crazy cold” range.

One of them moulted this winter already.

Life is good.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Lost my last 2 a week ago. Ermine.
I’ll be restocking shortly. But keeping it to lower numbers. 40 layers was just too much.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Did you get a good hide out of the ermine or was it full of pellet holes?

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

My girls wintered well even with the $&@? cold winter! The roo (Cluck Norris) unfortunately had some frostbite on his comb this year- tried everything I could to avoid that. Now most of the blackened skin has died off so doesn't look as bad -poor dude.
Eggs are coming in from both chickens and ducks. The ducks have their own house separated from the chickens, named the Quacker box! I ordered three pilgrim goslings this year and 10 more day old pullets to freshen up the blood in the hen house!
Luckily, I have two very regularily broody hens so I can rely on them to replenish the Copper Maran breed (gorgeous dark brown eggs). I won't be breeding the goats this year.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Livestock but also everyone.
There have been reports about people giving covid to cat and dogs.

Well what I have not heard is it being given to cows,pigs....
Now if it can be passed to a dog... why not others?

Maybe I am wrong but if not, this can be a real game changer.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Restocked the chickens
6 leghorns
3 set of breeder brahmas
3 set of breeder rosecombs(I love bantams)
Have a dozen in the incubator from the breeders already.
Plans for some more bantam enclosures.

Should have rabbits here by the end of the week.

And I’m working on a couple stalls for a pair of goats... if I can convince the wife.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Livestock but also everyone.
There have been reports about people giving covid to cat and dogs.

Well what I have not heard is it being given to cows,pigs....
Now if it can be passed to a dog... why not others?

Maybe I am wrong but if not, this can be a real game changer.

This one is something that I am both tracking and keeping a close eye on the info coming in.. So far we have one confirmed dog that got it enough that it tested positive 3 times and then went negative and it was basicly the same time frame as humans, 14 to 28 days.. the dog never got sick per say.

I have heard that in 3 other times that the "FUR" of a dog/dog/cat has held enough shed virus by a infected human that they could infected someone who "personally and up close" interacted with them..

At no point of have heard about others.. nor where the other case a infection but instead a "coat" load if you will.. It will not jump very easily.. its just not made up of the right critters to do so.. but that is just my thoughts.. we will see if they get proven true or not..

IF I can trust the gene makeup that they are sharing.. I am not worried.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Restocked the chickens
6 leghorns
3 set of breeder brahmas
3 set of breeder rosecombs(I love bantams)
Have a dozen in the incubator from the breeders already.
Plans for some more bantam enclosures.

Should have rabbits here by the end of the week.

And I’m working on a couple stalls for a pair of goats... if I can convince the wife.

Good luck, I prefer sheep myself to goats.. you looking for meat or milk? Nice choices on the chickens.. and rabbits are always a good choice, just make sure you can get feed for them.. in a number of our feed stores, rabbit feed has become limited and when we can get it, it seems to be only one type.. normally they carry 3 kinds..

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Another thing I forgot to mention to folk...already-we have been noticing folk are starting to hoard small livestock, as well as garden seed. Interesting when you have trouble finding day olds heritage birds and your seed catalogue says (sold out/sold/out)
Glad I harvest seed and I already ordered new girls for the coop.

Anyone interested in day olds and finding it difficult to find-PM me-there is a fella in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Goats are as much for the milk as anything. I’m Lactose intolerant, so goat has been my go to for 20+ years for milk and cheese. My neighbour raised a herd for 30+ years, so I have a local resource/ mentors.

I actually got the first set of rabbits from one of my daughters teachers, so i know the local mill carries feed. Been dealing with them for years, great people.

Yes, small animals are impossible to get around here, I may wait till fall for the goats, I’m sure people will panic when they realize animals have to be cared for over the winter. Lol.

Little bit at a time. It’s been a 10 year process in this house so far.
Next major investment is a tractor, regardless of if we sell this property or not. Came close to signing for a 33hp NH before the winter.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network