April 20, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Garden like it counts 2021

25 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Time to start a new thread for the gardens and Gardeners of 2021..

Here is hoping everyone already has their seeds for 2021?

What is the new plant you are trying?

Is there something you are hoping to do in 2021 for the gardens?

Anything garden related welcome on this thread!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

It will be old faithfuls growing this year. I need to get new seed potatoes this spring as my potatoes had really bad case of scabs this year. Maybe more beans than I’ve done in the past couple of years.

I have the bulk of my seeds already and joined a couple of seed-swap groups and did some trades already. That said, a lot of the swaps are for more “boutique” plants and I think that for this upcoming year, I’d rather go for proven rather than unique.

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Have most of the seeds needed for this years gardens and will be ordering seed potatoes. Not too much changing of what will be grown around here, but seem to always add a few things when going through the stores and greenhouses if the plants look interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Seedy Saturday is coming up. Albeit it virtual this year.... Lots of great companies offering a variety of seeds. Always enjoy this annual event!

http://www.seedysaturday.ca/toronto

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Very little gardening will be done this year. Only some for seed in the raised beds. I will be preparing a 175 sqft room in the basement for experimenting with Hydroponic, Airoponic, Vertical growing, deep water growing. Still learning about the different types.
Still figuring out the power needs to run such a room. I will be 6 months at least before I am ready to start growing. I just ordered up enough silver mylar to completely do the room in.
Everything takes so much time to do...

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

A friend of mine has switched his cannabis grow to hydro from soil. A few things I have learned from talking to him and some applies to both methods. Set ups to grow cannabis would be transferable to plants like tomatoes, plants that flower/fruit.

He uses a 3x3 grow tent. Has sensor/timer set up that control lighting, humidity and fans.

Uses led lighting. Expensive to buy cheaper to run. Really need to research what you are buying as there are a lot of garbage lights on the market. Led nights pump out a lot of heat.

Inline fan is ducted to the outdoors for the removal of heat generated by lights as well as keeping mold under control. Plants do best with a good supply of fresh air and co2. Since he is growing a smelly crop he uses a carbon filter to cut odours.

Need to be aware of what if any treatments have been used to treat your water and how to mitigate it. Also if your water is hard then your plants may not do well as they suck up to much calcium and magnesium. He changes his water every two weeks.

Runs two pumps to circulate water and an air pump going to air stone to oxygenate the water. Inexpensive to buy and run.

Growing medium is clay pellets. Reusable but need to be sterilized between uses. There are a lot of mediums out there. No idea which works best for what.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Friends... what’s the best place to order seed potatoes from? I’m dreading another “run on seeds” in stores. A place I’ve ordered from before no longer offer any shipping discounts, so 9 pounds of seed potatoes would run me $45 by the time they arrive to my place.

I’m reluctant to reuse my own potatoes this year as I had major scabbing issues.

So, where do you order from?

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Friends... what’s the best place to order seed potatoes from? I’m dreading another “run on seeds” in stores. A place I’ve ordered from before no longer offer any shipping discounts, so 9 pounds of seed potatoes would run me $45 by the time they arrive to my place.

I’m reluctant to reuse my own potatoes this year as I had major scabbing issues.

I ordered from a place somewhere west of Inisfail, its near where they have a big corn maze. I found it was really only worth it to drive down and pick up as shipping costs are stupid high. https://www.seedpotatoes.ca/ The other place is right from Peavy Mart, they often have a good selection and no shipping cost.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I ordered from a place somewhere west of Inisfail, its near where they have a big corn maze. I found it was really only worth it to drive down and pick up as shipping costs are stupid high. https://www.seedpotatoes.ca/ The other place is right from Peavy Mart, they often have a good selection and no shipping cost.

By and large, “SOLD OUT” is prominently written after every variety on that site. Sigh...

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

By and large, “SOLD OUT” is prominently written after every variety on that site. Sigh...

Had to get mine from a fellow prepper last year...

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Was at the local Peavey Mart (TSC out east). Their gardening area looked pilfered but I was told by an employee that they’ve just recently started putting things up but “that it’s flying off the shelves”. When asked about potatoes though, I was told they hadn’t arrived yet. So I guess I’ll just have to do my rounds

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Peavey Mart has started rebranding their TSC stores in Ont. Either name, still a fun store to shop at.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Was at the local Peavey Mart (TSC out east). Their gardening area looked pilfered but I was told by an employee that they’ve just recently started putting things up but “that it’s flying off the shelves”. When asked about potatoes though, I was told they hadn’t arrived yet. So I guess I’ll just have to do my rounds

Push come shove the answer is at your BIG fancy local grocery store.. go buy organic potato, sprout them and plant them.. that's the last resort.. but it does work.. they have to list the kinds of potato's and as long as they are grown local, you know they are at least somewhat locally zoned.

Second way to do it, google for local potato farms, anything in alberta will do, or sask in the same zone.. buy a 5 pound bag of them, cool dark and let them sprout out and plant them out..

otherwise, yes, just keep checking your local Canadian Tire and Peevey mart website everyone morning when you do your news rounds and watch that "available" in store.. and then get in and get your shopping done..

Hope that helps!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Thank you FarmGal!

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I would offer you some of mine but I am anti social until this covid is over, though I do have some 3 or 4 varieties of potato seeds, and I could send you a few (a few of some, more of another , through the mail if you wanted.

Peavy mart gets them when the danger of freezing is over. They do have a good selection.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network