April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Baofeng UV5R Digital Modes

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Everyone knows that the Baofengs are great little radios. Despite what the nay sayers have to offer, they are affordable and built well. Did you know that they can also be used for digital modes such as PSK31, Olivia, Thor, etc? Using the free FLDigi software and an interface I connect the UV5R to my laptop and send an image to another similar setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFBs3BxQkfo

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

That's pretty cool.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@thatnovascotian)

I use the Baofeng UV5R for when Im playing airsoft and they are phenomenal radios. Alot of people bash them but like you said, they are a nice little piece of kit!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Everyone knows that the Baofengs are great little radios. Despite what the nay sayers have to offer, they are affordable and built well. Did you know that they can also be used for digital modes such as PSK31, Olivia, Thor, etc? Using the free FLDigi software and an interface I connect the UV5R to my laptop and send an image to another similar setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFBs3BxQkfo

Denob. Can you post what you feel is the best YouTube programming guide for dummies (me) on baofeng radios. The software I see on the net is more like old Dos based stuff and it’s painful to watch or work with. Maybe that’s all there is, so if the case, please post the easiest you may have come across. Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

With the keypad or with a programming cable?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

With the keypad or with a programming cable?

Programming cable so I can use on windows 7 or 10, apple...

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this.
The You tube channel Ham Radio Crash Course is a great resource for Baofeng info.
Try this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMRKJy6HBA
I don't know if he mentions this tip, but remember when using CHIRP to program your radio...
Download from radio first, copy & paste your channels, etc, then upload to radio.
You must do this every time, especially when copying from one radio to another.
If you download from source radio then upload to the new radio, you can cause a firmware issue that will brick your radio.
If you, or anyone out there has this problem, get in touch with me...I have the solution!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, will check it out and get back to everyone, unfortunate you can’t download channels and configure from a radio you are happy with.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network