April 24, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Looking to meet like minded individuals...

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
23.1 K Views
(@nwtprepper)
Topic starter  

Hi All..

I have lived in Yellowknife for around 12 years now and I'm looking to meet other people with a mind set around prepping, preparedness and self-reliance. I would like to meet others to share ideas, practice skills and build a self-reliant network- I figured I would start a new topic to see if there is a interest in and around Yellowknife for this kind of group.

If you are interested please reply to this thread

(@denob)
Member Admin

Hey there and welcome to the forum.
I am in Quebec, and therefor not of much physical use to you.
You are the first member in the territories since I was asked to take care of it over a year ago.
I hope you breaking the ice brings more preppers from your area.
In the meantime, look around the general areas and please take part.
We value everyone's input.

ReplyQuote
(@nwtprepper)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the repy- ya, it would be nice if this breaks the ice for some of the local preppers... I guess we'll see!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey Yellowknife, hay river in the house lol, very new to all this I am, nice to know I'm not alone up here though

ReplyQuote
(@nwtprepper)
Topic starter  

Hey Durogity,

Thanks for the reply! Its good to see another prepper in the NWT, although I am surprised there isn't more given the extreme challenges that we face being northerners! I am also a new to the prepping community and have been a prepping for about a year or so.I do feel it is important to have a "Plan B" for any interruption of daily life as we know it; however, I do not represent some of the extremist with in the prepping community... I mainly focus on the essential requirements of survival to deal with any interruption such as extended power outages, shortage of fuel/food/water, communications failure, inflation and natural disasters such as forest fires etc.. typical northern stuff...LOL!

How long have you been prepping and what are you prepping for? I watched a couple of your youtube vids and see that you are challenged with living in a high-rise building. Whats considerations have you made for that?

NWTprepper

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Hi All..

I have lived in Yellowknife for around 12 years now and I'm looking to meet other people with a mind set around prepping, preparedness and self-reliance. I would like to meet others to share ideas, practice skills and build a self-reliant network- I figured I would start a new topic to see if there is a interest in and around Yellowknife for this kind of group.

Welcome, and so nice to see someone from NWT!, my DH lived in Yellowknife for a eight years and I joined him for a number of them before we moved to iqaluit for five years before being transfered down to the ottawa area.. Loved NWT ( we did alot of traveling and Hubby travels all over the north including many summers of in exploration camps), and we so enjoyed our time in yellowknife..

I will keep an eye out for your posts 🙂

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey NWTPrepper
I've only been prepping for about six months, am not really prepping for anything specific, just don't like the idea of being without due to not thinking about it. The high rise is a worry for me, but more because there is a lot of xfactor type people in this building that may be likely to become overly violent if TSHTF.

ReplyQuote
(@opprepared)

Hello all. Recently moved from Central Ontario to the NWT. I am former military and have always enjoyed Camping, Hiking. In Ontario, being just north of Toronto my biggest fear was a combination of prolonged power outages and dirty bombs, and my solution has always revolved around bugging-in at the family cottage and/or bugging out northward. Now I'm in the arctic, I'm forced to rethink my planning.

I'm no longer concerned about dirty bomb threats, since there is very little here to attack, but very concerned with prolonged power outages, utilidor system breakdowns, etc. I have spent my life 'prepping', training in many various martial arts, spending four years in the Canadian Forces and always focusing around having a decent camping set-up that could dual-purpose as a bug-out kit.
Since a lot of my stuff is in storage in Ontario I'm rebuilding my capability here, focusing around cold weather survival and food stores.

I'm hoping to meet other like-minded people, especially from the various communities in the Beaufort Delta.

ReplyQuote
(@diazjoe)

Hello, everyone, I just moved to Hay River about 8 months a go from Toronto, I had been thinking of prepping myself for quite a while, nothing specific just cos. I also live in the high rise building and it could be a rough place to live..

ReplyQuote
albertaborn
(@albertaborn)
Trusted Member

Greetings all
Just a hello ... I spend most of my time on the Alberta board, but float BC and NWT as well.
Currently I am in Norman Wells ... so I am in the Neighborhood.

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

ah, you guys are so making me miss Yellowknife, so many good memories from my years in nwt and nunavut

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@bigfoote)

Hello, new to this group but have been prepared for most anything for a long time. I have lived off grid for 12 years now. I have wood heat, and have been storing food mostly by buying sales to keep the grocery bill down, but now I have a substantial supply. I also have a cabin 50 miles from any town that is usually stocked with a couple months food. Just wanted to say hi, I'm in the south Slave, been here 24 years.

ReplyQuote
(@north-of-60)

Hello all. Recently moved from Central Ontario to the NWT. I am former military and have always enjoyed Camping, Hiking. In Ontario, being just north of Toronto my biggest fear was a combination of prolonged power outages and dirty bombs, and my solution has always revolved around bugging-in at the family cottage and/or bugging out northward. Now I'm in the arctic, I'm forced to rethink my planning.

I'm no longer concerned about dirty bomb threats, since there is very little here to attack, but very concerned with prolonged power outages, utilidor system breakdowns, etc. I have spent my life 'prepping', training in many various martial arts, spending four years in the Canadian Forces and always focusing around having a decent camping set-up that could dual-purpose as a bug-out kit.
Since a lot of my stuff is in storage in Ontario I'm rebuilding my capability here, focusing around cold weather survival and food stores.

I'm hoping to meet other like-minded people, especially from the various communities in the Beaufort Delta.

Hi there - I live in Inuvik as well. Are you still here, or has the economy driven you out?
Have you managed to get more of your stuff up from Ont?
We should chat.

North of 60
Inuvik, NT
(Been here 25+ years. Where do I get banished to next?)

ReplyQuote
(@bigfoote)

Anyone still here? Just wondering where you are from, I'm in Fort Smith.

ReplyQuote
(@coyote-flats)

Hello, everyone, I just moved to Hay River about 8 months a go from Toronto, I had been thinking of prepping myself for quite a while, nothing specific just cos. I also live in the high rise building and it could be a rough place to live..

Hi are you still in Hay River?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network