May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

I Feel Like A Wimp- Tales from the Green Valley

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Most preppers are familiar with the BBC series War Time Farm. For those less familiar with Ruth, Peter and Tom, they put out multiple series including the one that inspired my Dead Hedge winter build, Tudor Monastery Farm. They also include, Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm and Secrets Of The Castle.

You can find these all on YouTube...and its a good educational way to get through a winter. Very educational. Lots to learn in each and every episode. It makes much of our prepping seem very wimpy.

The one that makes me feel wimpiest of all...I just stumbled appon a few days ago...is Tales From The Green Valley

I think this was made before Ruth, Peter and Tom got famous and I think Tudor Farm must have been inspired by it. Soooooo much good teaching in it from de-hairing a pig to wattle and dob construction. Everything done from materials found on the farm.

Forget all about that running with 80 lb of kit or Escape and Evasion School as some foolish definition of prepping or manhood or whatever.

This series made me feel like a complete wimp...and a deeply unprepared prepper. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSpqpwJ__Ek&list=PLCpYM0jg1d5MTRiJ56SfqeHi_2Bc67AIn

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

(@denob)
Member Admin

Added to my "watch later" list. I really enjoy Ruth, Tom, and Peter and I am actually running the "Victorian Farm" series on the Movie Monday feature on the CPN blog.

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Added to my "watch later" list. I really enjoy Ruth, Tom, and Peter and I am actually running the "Victorian Farm" series on the Movie Monday feature on the CPN blog.

Thanks Big D. I know you are already all over this.

I am thinking up a new C5 Rule...to piss off the old survivalist world. 🙄 I amused myself with the triple P term, PISS POOR PREPPING. I have a new Triple P.

C5 Rule of Survival- Paladin Press Is4 Posers.

Its a little too similar to an old C5 rule though....

C5 Rule of Survival- If your goal is actual survival, Take all of the OLD popular Survivalist advice and, pretty much, do the complete opposite...and you will do just fine

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I only had time to watch one of the shows while doing other things, but I have to say it looks like a great show, lots to learn from it historically . As time allows I will go through them......one thing struck me right off and that is the daily labour....I have worked the smart end of a hoe, rake and spade, and know what?, there isn't a smart end...its smart to get someone else to do that kind of work, 1620 the average lifespan was 34 years, I see why! I have stuff in my fridge older than that.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, a lot of that was disease and war.

What struck me was that they pointed out that the calorie intake was extremely high by historical standards. The calorie intake of a professional athlete. Even still, when going into winter, Its important to enjoy the winter celebrations (what are only hallmark Holidays now) because you didn't know if the person next to you would be alive in the spring.

Survival is all about food.

On that note, one more coffee and I am back at working on the dead hedge. The pigs officially go into it today. Its secure enough to let them roam while I continue to work on it. Its about half done now.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I will be very interested in how the pig do in it, please report back and I would like to see more finished photo or two if you are willing, I always sigh when you put up the u-tube or video's.. slow internet, no tv and I know I am missing out on these..

Having said that, yes, it was all about the food, shelter and sickness played a huge factor but food was the big one for sure.. We are ahead on the farm in some ways by a few weeks but nothing like what you are talking about, but yesterday was warm and melting enough that I was starting my first scrapings and loads for the gardens.

I am quite excited to get the current gardens ready but the big push this year, is breaking new ground on another huge garden area, and pruning and potting up a ton of baby fruiting brushes, grape vines, plus I need to get the area prepped for my last row of raspberry canes, I will now have the big row of early, mid and late season, and we will see how the huge new 200 strawberry plant garden came though winter, and the clove current hedge and so forth..

Also need to build two more of my huge bean teepees.. the one I have now as proven to be very effective..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I had some insomnia last night, so I checked out a few episodes.
Nice series so far...and I noticed they were a little more crude in speech back then, freely using terms like "pi$$ pot" and calling manure "s&!t".

ReplyQuote
Lee Enfield
(@lee-enfield)
Estimable Member

I watched them all over the past couple of years - Tales from the Green Valley, Tudor Monastery Farm, Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm, War Time Farm, Secrets Of The Castle and Victorian Pharmacy. I've seen some of them twice and always learn something. Nice to see how people lived before electricity and modern consumerism.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." - Cicero

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I have watched a bunch of them now, well done I think, enjoyed them, learned a good bit...If you find more of the like kind, post the link....as new member sea3peeOE if you have to....Or selfishly keep them to yourself if you must..im not judging...much.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network