May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Co2 scrubber

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm moving to outside lethbridge in a few months to look for a house to buy and I'm wanting to put a bunker on ht e place somewhere with a co2 scrubber system anyone know how to make one and if possible how to make a bunker out of containers air tight if possible any welder a out there want to make some cash lol

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

(@juicy)
Eminent Member

Soda lime or Amsorb plus are carbon dioxide absorbents used in ORs. But im not sure how you could have a completely closed system without a fresh gas source (O2)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking into tanks for air just need to figure out the scrubber system

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Duffman,

You may want to do a little research on terrariums, you know - those large enclosed green spaces filled with plant life. Plants are natures CO2 scrubbers. IN a balanced ecosystem, humans intake oxygen and exhaust carbon dioxide, plants on the other hand intake carbon dioxide and exhaust oxygen. If you do not want to have a natural light source for your bunker you will have to invest in some sort of hydroponics system with uv lights. The good thing about this ecosystem you will be artificially creating is by having a closed system, your oxygen needs will be created by the vegetable garden you maintain. You will need to have a safe water source and a reliable electrical source, other than that once your terrarium is built and sealed you will not need any exterior contact.

Of course, my understanding of the plant world may be all messed up and this would never work.

Just my 2 cents,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Oh mountain man you are like my yoda only taller lol but I was thinking about something like that just wanted a scrubber system as back up but can find anything on how to build one for a bunker

ReplyQuote
(@martha)
Reputable Member

Mountainman, I remember from college Biology that the professor said that plants emit oxygen during daylight hours while photosynthesis takes place, but that they emit CO2 at night when photosynthesis isn't occuring. She said that because of that there were some people who would take plants out of the room of a sick person at night.

Whether that information is correct, I can't say. I do remember it though.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Duffman,

Sorry, I do not know anyone who has a CO2 scrubber system. Crybaby, are you reading this thread??? Do you know anyone, who may know someone else, who would know a bit about bunkers and air filtration and CO2 scrubbers????

I am sure the answer you seek will be answered here in the not to distant future.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Martha,

You could be right about the photosynthesis. I am not a biologist. I have never heard of anyone having a concern with plants in a patients room, and I have worked in the healthcare system. To my best knowledge certain ferns and plants like the spider plant are used specifically to filter the air of harmful airborne substances. Anyways, in a closed system you have an artificial light/uv system so you could shorten "night" to whatever was necessary.

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys does anyone know anything about using storage containers for bunkers

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Sure, they're a really strong frame of steel with thin sheet metal covering. If you're digging a hole already you're probably better off pouring footings and building walls of blocks, then filling the cores with concrete. If you don't think you can build a block wall with mortared joints, look into dry stacked and surface bonded construction.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So I've been looking into co2 scrubbers and one can build one just like a sub or space ship for long term living even though plants do let its still not enough for long term living but my biggest problem is finding plans to build a unit any one know where one could find plans

ReplyQuote
(@salix)
Trusted Member

What you are talking about is called a rebreather, as they use for diving, but on a larger scale. There are many websites on home built rebreathers. But, as one website states:

"HEALTH WARNING: A rebreather is a serious and sophisticated life support device which is perfectly capably of killing you without warning. Always know your ppO2. Messing around with caustic and oxidising materials is dangerous. Reliance on one of these devices to keep you alive is foolhardly - but great fun!"
( http://www.sump4.com/rebreather )

I would not let my life depend on something of that complexity that I made myself. Why not forget about the 'airtight' angle and go with a positive pressure hand crank HEPA air filter? They are supposed to filter out pretty much every thing you can think of. Unless you are building a spaceship. Just my 2 cents.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

In any "air tight" vessel eventually the oxygen would be completely used regardless of how much "scrubbing" took place. In environments such as submarines the oxygen supply is constantly replenished by hydrolyzing water into it's component parts, hydrogen and oxygen. The scrubber is simply to remove the surplus CO2. You would have to have some method of constantly adding oxygen in the same quantities and at the same rates it was used.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Oh right on that one but still trying to find a plan on one lol

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A spaceship you say salix now there's an idea lol

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network