May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Reports On Sandy

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

OK, so Sandy has begun her westward push and we are all as prepared as we can be.
Let's report here as to what we are all experiencing throughout the storm.

Right now, everything for me is calm...almost too calm (the calm before the storm).
A bit of light wind, but nothing more than flag waving strength (12KPH from the NE)
Thick cloud cover, but no rain yet.

(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

At 8:30 we have heavy cloud here, light ( mist) rain, light winds out of the SE, 5 degrees C, Barometer at 101.5 and dropping.

Charter Member of a Canadian Minority... White, Male and in my 50's!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Woke up to 8.5cm snow this morning. It was not in the forecast until last night when they said 2-3cm. Temperature 1Β°C with light snow with a cold breeze..

ReplyQuote
(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

Woke up to 8.5cm snow this morning. It was not in the forecast until last night when they said 2-3cm. Temperature 1Β°C with light snow with a cold breeze..

Ouch!!! Hope you still had the shovel by the door ❓

At 12.50 AM it is still 5 degrees C here, winds have switched.. they are out of the north at 14KMpH, barometer is 101.3. Rain quit.
Ottawa radio station is reporting that New York and New Jersey have shut down.. the City of Ottawa is suggesting you bring in the Halloween Decorations or they MIGHT get blown away. πŸ˜†

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

1:15pm here - high winds and a little rain. Grey and miserable looking. I'm all finished outside and glad everyone is home today!

(`'β€’.ΒΈ(`'β€’.ΒΈ ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄) ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄)
*´¨`β€’.ΒΈΒΈAnita <>< *.‒´¸¸¨`*
(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄ `'β€’.ΒΈ)`' β€’.ΒΈ)
ΒΈ.β€’Β΄
( `β€’.ΒΈ
`β€’.ΒΈ )
ΒΈ.β€’)Β΄
(.β€’Β΄

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just past 2:30...no rain yet. Wind is from NNE at 16KPH and we are starting to see some gusts up to 30 KPH.
Barometer is at 100.9 and falling slowly with a temperature of 15 C.

ReplyQuote
(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

At 5:30 PM we have heavy cloud, light drizzle, winds from the NW at 21 KM/H, barometer at 100.5 KPa and falling, Temperature has made it to +6 C. It was damp and cool enough I lit a fire around 4:00 PM.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

7pm, pressure started dropping around five, the critters started reacting, blood moon came up tonight, and the wind has been picking up over the past two hours, the day itself, calm, warm and even had some blue sky's at times,..but we have already had flickers on the power and the county folks came by and put out the flood/road closed signs already, just that they are laying down, guess they figure that it was worth putting them out.. hmmm

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

At 8:45 temperature is still +6 C, Barometer has dropped to 100.3 KPA, winds out of the North at 22KM/H and we have light rain. Satellite TV is dropping out every once in a while due to the heavy cloud cover...That's upsetting my Wife πŸ™

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Quite a few power outages across Southern Ontario tonight. These can always be seen on the Hydro One site: http://www.hydroone.com/stormcenter/

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

well, the first round of the checks done, and we are thankful that so far, very minor damage in terms of branches down, otherwise lots of wind but everything is holding, a fair amount of power outs locally, and reports of basic typical storm/wind issues but it appears from what I can hear on the news that the cornwall area really got hit with winds last night, so far no rain yet.. and its so warm, plus 17..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

Nothing spectacular here yet.
At 11:00 last night we had light rain, winds from the north at 23KM/h, temperature is+7C and the barometer was at 100.0 KPa and falling.
At 2:30 this morning we were woke by heavy rain and wind... didn't last long though.
At 5:00 AM all was quiet... no wind or rain
Now at 8:00 AM we have light rain, temperature is +11C, winds out of the NW at 8KM/h , the barometer is at 99.5 KPa and steady. So far our rain guage is showing 10 mm of rain since yesterday morning.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just did a walk around here and glad to see that everything is good. A few tarps blown around a bit and one small piece of siding gone. No surprise leaks in the house, so the 2 roof patches and foundation waterproofing held well, although I don't think we got very much rain. I will check the 2 aux. properties later today when I go with the little ones to pick out a pumpkin. The lights are still flickering a bit, but no actual outage.
Right now we have sustained NE wind in the 20 KPH range and gusting up to 40 KPH. We still have a forecast wind range of 40 KPH sustained and 70 KPH gusts.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

The North wind last night sounded like I lived beside a freight train! Loud! A bit of rain overnight. Now it's sunny but really windy - flag blowing straight-out windy fom the East and whitecaps on the riv er. I hope my dock doesn't blow away!
Comfortable that I can handle any power outage if it happens.
Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who suffered a loss.
And hope that the unprepared have heard the wake-up call.

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

I am happy to have the power back on! It was only out for 12 hours and mostly overnight. The wind was howling but I slept like a baby πŸ™‚ We lost one tree when it fell through a cedar rail fence into the paddock. The animals did well but will stay locked up for a few days till we get the fence repaired.

Lessons learned:
1. It takes a really long time to boil water over a sterno can.
2. The middle of the storm gives you a clarity you just don't have when it's not an emergency. I thought of several things I should have done (at 3am of course) - emptied the one fridge freezer into the big freezer - one less to deal with. Filled the sink with water for washing dishes and hands today so I didn't have to use the water I saved in plastic jugs.
3. We need to buy a gas chainsaw or another generator- we only have an electric chainsaw (easier for DH to manage because of MD) but if we needed the generator to run the freezers etc we would have also needed it for the chainsaws.
4. Everything else went perfectly and I felt like we finally have most holes covered.

(`'β€’.ΒΈ(`'β€’.ΒΈ ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄) ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄)
*´¨`β€’.ΒΈΒΈAnita <>< *.‒´¸¸¨`*
(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄ `'β€’.ΒΈ)`' β€’.ΒΈ)
ΒΈ.β€’Β΄
( `β€’.ΒΈ
`β€’.ΒΈ )
ΒΈ.β€’)Β΄
(.β€’Β΄

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network