May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Reports On Sandy

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

So after a trip to a local farm for a pumpkin, I took the kids out for a little drive around the county to check things out.
There was a little small debris, mostly sticks, on some of the roads.
We saw only one tree that was downed, and it had already been cut up and taken care of.
We also saw one tempo that had been overturned and looked like a big white boat on someone's front yard.
Other than that, not much happening here.
One thing I did notice as I watched the news and listened to the radio yesterday, is the number of times I heard emergency kits being discussed.
It seems like the mainstream media if finally starting to see the value in being prepared, even if only having a small kit with some water, food, flashlight and a radio.
The storm has now slowed and dissipated into not much more than a typical low pressure system.
The track seems to be taking it in a northward direction over south east Ontario and into Quebec.
The forecasts for the next few days don't really present anything that I consider a threat.
Seems like the brunt of it has passed and now we just have to clean up whatever mess was left behind.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well the snow last night turned to rain. Both of my portable gazebos on the front and back decks collapsed. The snow holds the rain water and it gets very heavy. So I am going to clean them up this afternoon.

ReplyQuote
(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

For the most part Sandy was a no show here.. no damage at all, very little rain and not much wind....just a lot of thick cloud. The early part of this afternoon has been quit nice.. +17C with some sun. We have had a small Thunderstorm around 2:30 but it did not amount to much either. From what the Weather Network is reporting we will only have showers now until Tursday Evening.

Charter Member of a Canadian Minority... White, Male and in my 50's!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Right now it is a little foggy with drizzle and 3.6°C.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The NYSE is to open at 9:30am on Wednesday. Watch for a sell off on opening.

ReplyQuote
(@clay8ton)
Estimable Member

3 days past and the story of what Sandy did to N.Y. is still shocking. Radio reports this morning of Search Party`s finding missing Brothers ages 2 and 4. Very Sad 😥

Charter Member of a Canadian Minority... White, Male and in my 50's!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@phuqd)
Estimable Member

A link to the article above, as well as how the aid is rolling out.

http://news.yahoo.com/isolated-nyc-borough-says-help-slow-sandy-064220250.html

As most of us would expect, gas is a huge commodity. Seemingly more in demand in the Urban sprawl, is the need for transportation.

http://news.yahoo.com/fuel-pipeline-resumes-jersey-deliveries-gasoline-lines-linger-130057461.html

Observing the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy can be used as a great tool to predict what the aftermath of future disasters will be like.
Knowing what response times are, time to get utilities back up, before normal supply lines are restored will help us be better prepared for short-term events.
This is a storm people knew was coming for over a week, and were still completely unprepared, and the majority don't know what else to do, other than sit around and wait while the government tries to come up with solutions.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network