May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

two good snow storms in a week-ontario/quebec

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Anyone else had power outs and got to try out winter preps in these two big snow storms..?

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

(@denob)
Member Admin

We had to go help out my disabled monster - in - law last week as she could not get to her firewood and had no power for about 24 hours.
We brought her some water and shoveled out her wood pile, then piled some wood right outside her back door!
We told her to keep some water, at least 3 days worth, but it may have fallen on deaf ears, as we are always a phone call away.
With this being the fourth 1ft + snow fall in 11 days, we are trying hard to keep up with snow removal from the car shelters and house.
We have had some intermittent power failures, but nothing lasting.....yet.

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

Nothing close to the that amount here yet! I listened to the wind whistle all last night and prayed we wouldn't be snowed in. Party day here today and I didn't want too much shovelling to do on top of everything else - as it is the animals are probably feeling a little neglected today πŸ™‚

No power outages allowed until we get our wood stove in and then I would like to schedule one please πŸ™‚

(`'β€’.ΒΈ(`'β€’.ΒΈ ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄) ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄)
*´¨`β€’.ΒΈΒΈAnita <>< *.‒´¸¸¨`*
(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄ `'β€’.ΒΈ)`' β€’.ΒΈ)
ΒΈ.β€’Β΄
( `β€’.ΒΈ
`β€’.ΒΈ )
ΒΈ.β€’)Β΄
(.β€’Β΄

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

This top of a rabbit hutch was cleared last night at evening chore time, so this was the amount of snow on it this morning, so that is what we got overnight.. we had done all the building paths and then much to our surprise one of the local farm families showed up to help shovel us out so that we could head to town for our anniversary dinner out.. so sweet.. We have had two one day power outs..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member

Only got a little under 8 inches in Niagara. Although the winds across the fields gave us a few good snow drifts (a nice big one right across the barn door!). No power outs, but we'll get up to a inch more over the next few days I think. Made a list of good to stock up on, list got ignored... soup & tun sandwiches on the menu, and only 7 cans of tuna left! A tragedy! XD

ReplyQuote
(@highlandsgal)
Estimable Member

We've been in the path of both good helpings of snow. The one thing about being where we are is the kids have noticed our snow is white instead of the brown slush you find in downtown Ottawa (or any other city). The power went off a few times, never more than 2 hours without power, and we managed just fine. It did help that we have a wood stove for heat and a propane cooking stove so we were never at risk that way. πŸ˜€

The only lesson we took was lighting. You don't realize how important lighting considerations are until you lose power in the evening. We had lots of candles, but did I want the kids taking a lit candle to their rooms - πŸ˜• ? We invested in a couple more rechargeable LED lanterns. I love the light given off by our old fashioned oil lamp, but it got me thinking about lighting with LED's vs flame power of any kind. What do other folks here use / think?

If life hands you lemons, be sure you have a battery backed up juicer to make some good ol' fashioned lemonade! πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network