May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Optics

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@quietman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

In addition to chatting on the radio, being able to see beyond human capability is important too.
Having a good pair of binoculars in your gear is a must have and for recci and security a spotting scope is a nice addition too.
How about both in one package... there are some expensive ways to go of course and searching the net will bring them up, but good old Canadian Tire offers 9 - 27 X 50 Bushnell Zoom binoculars for under $100.00 and in fact I got mine on sale for half price.
There are other models available out there, but some zoom to rediculous 60 and even 80 power. I find I need a solid rest for mine above 18 power, so I can only imagine how easy it is to check your pulse with the others.
In the military we had what were called big eyes and they were very powerful, but they were also mounted to a strong base.
I have found 20 power to be about the highest to go with mine and I actually use them quite a bit at that power until it gets too warm and heat waves make me dizzy or low light conditions call for the dial to go lower.
In fact Steiner and other companies make 7 - 21 power binos and that seems to be a good range. I would like to see a set of 4 - 16 X 44 come out. That power range is available in many rifle scopes out there and that would be very useful in almost all conditions.
As well in addition to this there are several night vision binoculars out there and for security, these are also a need not just a want.
I have a very good spotting scope and I do use it still, but these variable power binos give me the ability to zoom in on something I find interesting without coming off target.
Considering the price I paid and the expectations that came with the product according to it I am very satisfied with them. They do work, but I won't say they are better or worse than other optics. They do work and I like them.

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

(@martha)
Reputable Member

Thanks for that info quietman, I'm wondering how big your binoculars are, I've got some, don't use them, don't know what power they are, but they're really quite large and cumbersome.

Recently I saw an add for some night vision apparatus, don't recall the details. I thought it would be a good thing to have, but dropped the ball on it. Do you have any specific recommendations re night vision?

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network