May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What is the quietest generator on the market right now?

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Reactions
LongBranchEtobicoke
(@longbranchetobicoke)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The generator is only for our basement, we cover all the windows with black fabric (tape it down, no light comes though). The space is about 40"x60" with 8' high ceilings. I know there still be some noise but I'm hoping to find something anyway. TIA

cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

Don't put a generator in your basement unless carbon monoxide suicide is your original plan. Should take about an hour and its hard to fall asleep into Death with that smell and choking.
The EU1000 by Honda is quality and quiet. Ive worn down two of them to scrap

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
(@endangeredspecies)
Estimable Member

i got honda generator wich is extremly quiet compare to all other i had in the past

ReplyQuote
LongBranchEtobicoke
(@longbranchetobicoke)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh my… who would be dumb enough to operate the generator indoors?
Thanks for the tip on Honda generators! 🙂

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

After that, You bump WAY up to the Onans and other diesel generators that are so far out of my price range....that I have no experience to share.

Just thought I would start with the safety warning. Most deaths during power outages happen from generators or people trying to heat their home with their propane stove. Gas me to the max.

ReplyQuote
LongBranchEtobicoke
(@longbranchetobicoke)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, Cernunnos5 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@glockman1)
Estimable Member

Honda...but they are pricey

GM1

Chance favours the prepared mind

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

OOPS! Temporary brain fart. One of the quietest and also most efficient generators is your car with a power inverter in it.(much better muffler) I don't have the info for that at my fingertips but I'm sure someone on this board will have a good go to page to send you to. Keep a steering look on it though if using this option so no one steals your car.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

If you have some fabrication skills you can pipe the exhaust out. If you pipe it a long way in a buried pipe it will kill much of the sound. There are things that can be done like welding rings inside the pipe that reflect the sound back up the pipe that can make it even quieter.
NOT for the inexperienced.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

OOPS! Temporary brain fart. One of the quietest and also most efficient generators is your car with a power inverter in it.(much better muffler) I don't have the info for that at my fingertips but I'm sure someone on this board will have a good go to page to send you to. Keep a steering look on it though if using this option so no one steals your car.

Jack Spirko!!!
The Survival Podcast...episodes 1039 and 1040.
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-1038-steven-harris-on-battery-back-up-systems-part-1-of-2
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-1040-steven-harris-on-battery-back-up-systems-part-2-of-2

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don't know the brand but they were selling tiny 1200/2000 peak watt generators at Walmart for $199 a couple years back. A friend of mine bought one and bragged it was so quiet he could sit in the same room with it(as he hosed the exhaust outside.)and claimed it could run for an hour on the equivalent of a fart for gas. 😆 He owns a tourist camp and so has 10 KW diesels, 4500 watt Hondas and that miniature thing. He later said it died after a winters use. Seems owning one might be a good backup for an emergency at $199. I have a EMS 4000 watt Honda at the house and it is a pig on gas but very reliable. My 2nd is a Onan 4000 watt(on propane) in the RV and another is a Miller 8500 watt 225 Bobcat welder at my shop. I think I have emergency power covered!

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Honda ei2000 for the win!

Cost be damned; it'll run forever. And be dependable!

And if you can hear it beyond 25 yards, I'm impressed:)

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A good plan is to put the Gen in a shed with a metal extension for the muffler. Nice place to store batteries and any charging controllers
Consider a trickle charger for your Gen battery.
Get a Gen with pull as well as electrics start.
You will want to use fuel stabilizer. Buy extra parts like spark plugs, oil and air filters, fuses
Also, take a pic of the panel and write down start and stop procedures. If your not around, your spouse may need to start it or you can ask a neighbour. Having that attached to Gen will help and maybe avoid costly mistakes. I like honda . Have two if you can afford it. 6,500 or 10,000 watt is nice sized unit for 3,000 foot home.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network