May 12, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Storm Warning -Freezing rain

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I am hoping that most folks know that in central and Eastern Canada that we are in the path for yet another storm, which they are saying will be a right nasty mix of snow, rain and that lovely freezing rain..

Stay safe and give those preps a check over

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

(@denob)
Member Admin

Yup...not sure about you, but it started hitting us about an hour ago.
So far just snow, but I'm double checking all my rechargeables.

ReplyQuote
(@oddduck)
Reputable Member

Started the morning off with blowing snow, mid day was pellets and rain mix, now its rain. More of the same tomorrow. Really not much kick so far. Just need rubber boots and a raincoat.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

I had two inches of snow per hour for a few hours, then kicked into rain-freezing rain but its light and so far the wind is mild.. we will see, the radar shows that very heavy colored slow moving mass till coming my way.. Time will as always give the answer..

Have a friend about five hours more southern that is digging channels, says the ditch flood, the driveway covered and the water heading towards the house, she has written that its just poured rain for hours now in her neck of the woods.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

We ended up getting a lot of freezing rain last night...lost power at about 1AM.
Running on generator now to cool the fridges and charge some stuff.

ReplyQuote
Adagio
(@adagio)
Reputable Member

I heard that there are like 235,000 folks without power near you.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

let us know when power comes back, got off pretty good so far in my area, wet and very icy, need to wear you spikes on the boots but otherwise ok

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I was up when the power went out...so I grabbed my Baofeng and tuned into the local Provincial Police band...
it was call after call for downed power lines, downed trees, and downed trees that took out power lines.
The police just show up for safety and call in the particular town to send a truck to clear/mark the spot.
after about 2 hours, the towns stopped sending people because they had no more to send.
One town flat refused to send anyone because budget concerns had meant no more overtime for anyone.
(Ah the info you can get listening to the police talk among themselves)
I did a recon tour this morning and cleared a decent sized branch off the street near us, but other than that nothing disasterous locally.
I may venture further into the neighborhood with the Jeep later to check the wider area.
We have plenty of water stored, so I won't bother starting up the well pump this round.
We are supposed to have power back by 5PM...we shall see how that goes.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

So Denob, power back yet? Any good lessons learned from this? (except that towns are broke)

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

We ended up getting power back around 10:30 last night.
Lessons?
You will NEVER have enough water stored up...no matter how much you have.
Drinking, cooking, and dish washing are not the issue...toilet flushing is the problem.
It takes 2 X 2 liter bottles of water to flush the toilet...and that's a minimal flush. Larger...um...sums of material, will take a third bottle into the tank to get it all down.
We are 6 in the house right now so 12 - 18 2 liter bottles per day just for solid waste removal.

Candles are cool, but dangerous and expensive...
Burning candles gives off a romantic, relaxing light...that can easily put you to sleep.
Be careful about using candles...especially if you have animals or kids that can knock them over.
A typical 9" taper candle will last an evening. An LED lantern will last days and days on a single charge or set of GOOD batteries.

Our generator plan worked like a charm...2 hours of run time to cool the fridges, charge batteries, refill water containers, watch news, etc.
We do this 2 - 3 times per day...
in the morning after the fridge has been off all night and batteries were used throughout the evening for lighting etc.
in the mid day to boost the fridges, refill water, etc. Sometimes we only need about an hour, maybe less at this point.
in the evening to really cool the fridges, watch news, refill water before hunkering down for the night.

Have a pre-storm checklist!!!
We had plenty of warning about this one...at least 2 days. Anyone who has lived in this region since 1998 knows all too well what freezing rain can do.
Have a list of things to check up, top off, etc.
We heat the main house with wood exclusively, so I just topped up the inside wood pile before the storm, eliminating one chore once the power was out.
We topped off all water containers, filled extra soda bottles, but I should have been smart enough to fill the tub for toilet flushing water...lesson learned.
We double checked all battery operated lights, replacing the batteries in one of them, and charged everything that could be...phones, tablets, batteries, flashlights, etc.
I gassed up the generator and gave it a 20 minute run the day before. Small engines can be hard to start when they have been sitting idle for a while. Best to get this dealt with before you need the power.

Have lots of clothing...you will need to be doing chores outdoors and clothes get wet faster than you can dry them. Don't skimp on socks and gloves!!!

All in all, we got through this without any trouble at all...as we should have, it was only a day without power and we ARE prepared.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Thank you Denob for the insightful points.

I suppose another often forgotten point to add to a pre-storm list would be to get all the laundry done! Better start with drawers full/empty hampers!

ReplyQuote
(@edibleforestguy)
Eminent Member

Lessons?
Drinking, cooking, and dish washing are not the issue...toilet flushing is the problem.
It takes 2 X 2 liter bottles of water to flush the toilet...and that's a minimal flush. Larger...um...sums of material, will take a third bottle into the tank to get it all down.
We are 6 in the house right now so 12 - 18 2 liter bottles per day just for solid waste removal.

Une fois le courrant est interrompu, meilleure pratique est d'arrêter la toilette pour les solides. On met un sac d'épicerie sur le siège de la toilette et après, on le mets avec des poubelles, idéalement avec un peu de litière de chats.

Pour l'eau, il y toujours assez a boire ... commencant avec 200l dans le chauffe d'eau.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Lessons?

Une fois le courrant est interrompu, meilleure pratique est d'arrêter la toilette pour les solides. On met un sac d'épicerie sur le siège de la toilette et après, on le mets avec des poubelles, idéalement avec un peu de litière de chats.

Pour l'eau, il y toujours assez a boire ... commencant avec 200l dans le chauffe d'eau.

Je pense que je commencerais bien a faire fondre de la neige/glace et ramasser de l'eau de pluie avant de convaincre Mme HP de sortir les sac plastiques Walmart pour la toilette...

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

well, if what they say and show arrives today, its going to be coming in like a lion, they say that I can get up to two more feet of snow on the farm but right now, its cold an sunny..

ReplyQuote
Adagio
(@adagio)
Reputable Member

Same here. Cold and sunny. Yesterday was weird. I thought for sure we were going to get hit last night. It snowed like the dickens for a short while and then stopped. I guess we won't be as lucky tonight. Still I'm ready for it when it comes.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network