May 12, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Storm Warning -Freezing rain

21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@denob)
Member Admin

Lessons?
You will NEVER have enough water stored up...no matter how much you have.
Drinking, cooking, and dish washing are not the issue...toilet flushing is the problem.
It takes 2 X 2 liter bottles of water to flush the toilet...and that's a minimal flush. Larger...um...sums of material, will take a third bottle into the tank to get it all down.
We are 6 in the house right now so 12 - 18 2 liter bottles per day just for solid waste removal.

Une fois le courrant est interrompu, meilleure pratique est d'arrêter la toilette pour les solides. On met un sac d'épicerie sur le siège de la toilette et après, on le mets avec des poubelles, idéalement avec un peu de litière de chats.

Pour l'eau, il y toujours assez a boire ... commencant avec 200l dans le chauffe d'eau.

Je pense que je commencerais bien a faire fondre de la neige/glace et ramasser de l'eau de pluie avant de convaincre Mme HP de sortir les sac plastiques Walmart pour la toilette...

Soyez sur de fermer le courrant pour le chaufe eau...si le courrant revient et votre chauffe eau n'est pas pleine, les element vont bruler en quelle que secondes.
En plus, le chauffe eau se vide par le font...ou il y a beaucoup de residu....filtrer cet eau avant de boire!

Helicopilot a bien raison...les sacs d'epicerie ne sont pas tellement pratique...on a un chaudiere de 5 gallons et plein de sacs de vidanges qui les convient si necessaire, mais pour une panne de 2 ou 3 jours...la neige va fondre!

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Same here. Cold and sunny. Yesterday was weird. I thought for sure we were going to get hit last night. It snowed like the dickens for a short while and then stopped. I guess we won't be as lucky tonight. Still I'm ready for it when it comes.

Lots of wind last night, but not much snow. I'm surprised that we didn't lose power again. However, with the snow that's on the way, branches and trees weakened from the freezing rain may give way...time to get a few chores done!

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

we got a solid 16 inches on the farm but the wind had fun drifting and I have lots of three foot plus drifts, I also have very stiff, icy crunchy snow, the hounds are slipping and slide but walking on top, that means its got a reasonable hold weight crust on it. hope you all are doing ok, short power outage is all we got to date

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@rusticrv64)
Eminent Member

Same, intermittent power outages 3 or 4 times this winter, couple hours. Have generator.:) Gas, oil. Well insulated building.

ReplyQuote
Matreshka
(@matreshka)

Freezing rain and ice storms are the main thing we prep for, experienced too many outages in the past few years, twice wasn't even safe to leave the house for a couple of days. Feels amazing to have everything we need.

ReplyQuote
Matreshka
(@matreshka)

Wow a freezing rain warning is issued for tonight and tomorrow morning in Toronto http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-weather-wednesday-march-23-2016-1.3503557

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network