May 05, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Thoughts on Manchester et al

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

After seeing on the news yet another terrorist attack, this time in Manchester, I'm starting to rethink things. I've skimmed over articles in the past about how to be safe in case you get caught in the middle of some kind of terrorist incident, but never really paid attention. You know... "it'll never happen here, it'll never happen to me". But you know what? Who knows where or when it's going to happen? So I really think that this is what I'm going to focus on next, in terms of my preparedness - situational awareness and how to react in circumstances like this. Any reading recommendations are gladly accepted.

(@dougm)
Eminent Member

I couldn't help wondering how many were hurt because they panicked.

ReplyQuote
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I couldn't help wondering how many were hurt because they panicked.

I was just watching a video online and I had the same thought.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

When you attend concerts and events, you place yourself in a higher risk situation. When I was a young boy, I was told not to walk on the road because of the higher risk of a car hitting me. I learned to walk on the shoulder or better yet take a short-cut across the field where there were no cars.

Heads-up threat assessment is something you choose to do or not. You have to live with your choices. If you choose to accept the risk, there is little one can do to mitigate it. The vehicle is out of the walkers control. Be smart and stay off the road. Problem solved.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I agree to a large extent with that thought, Wayne. But there's a small part of me that thinks, as a society, we should be able to gather in large groups for some purpose, be it entertainment or otherwise. It's just a shame that making a risk or threat assessment now needs to be a part of coming together as a group.

I've found some good information online, but does anyone know of a good book that would cover this topic for the beginner? I'm a little old-fashioned still, in that I like a hard copy of something in front of me when I'm trying to learn something.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

CanCricket, it's not that I disagree with what you're saying. We should be able to gather together in a safe manner. Unfortunately, we have had War declared on our way of life. There seems to be an ever growing number of people with axes to grind. The fact remains that safety is not guaranteed. Certainly we have various degrees of safety, which is largely dependent on where we choose to live and where we wish to spend our time. I wish matters could improve, but I feel this unlikely...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I read a book from the library a while back, very practical. Focussed on foreign travel, war zones,etc, but great tips on crowds and situational awareness...

https://www.amazon.com/How-Avoid-Being-Killed-Zone/dp/1608195856

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I read a book from the library a while back, very practical. Focussed on foreign travel, war zones,etc, but great tips on crowds and situational awareness...

https://www.amazon.com/How-Avoid-Being-Killed-Zone/dp/1608195856

Thanks for that. This also looks like a good one, a similar kind of book:

https://www.amazon.com/Escape-Wolf-Security-Traveling-Professionals/dp/1598589679/ref=pd_sim_14_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1598589679&pd_rd_r=S49M7930E0T4XQMY33Z0&pd_rd_w=c8WkK&pd_rd_wg=LK8M1&psc=1&refRID=S49M7930E0T4XQMY33Z0

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network