May 03, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

question on reusing mylar type coffee bags

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Better half purchased a LOT of coffee from van houte ( easily a years supply) and it comes in nice ("mylar"?) 380 gram bags. Put water in them and no leakage.

to me it looks more like a metal /aluminum and plastic type combo material

wondering if anyone has tried these types of bags for long term storage / with oxygen absorbents. and any tests done one, two or five years later?

going to have a heck of a lot of them so trying to see how to reuse.

merky buckets

oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

This is kind of an answer. I keep my coffee in the containers that it comes in. I buy the large cans (they used to be 1kg). Normally Maxwell house and it comes in a card board type can. I have missed a few over the years when I do my stock rotation (don't have the stock to worry about now) and have some cans over 2 years past the best before date on them. I have not noticed a taste difference. I see no reason to repackage them.

When it comes to repackaging food, I always use new mylar bags. For the "extra" bags such as you are talking about (as well as chip bags), I have seen them used in non food ways. There are several web sites and youtube videos on reusing bags. I have even seen them washed and crocheted into sleeping mats.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This is kind of an answer. I keep my coffee in the containers that it comes in. I buy the large cans (they used to be 1kg). Normally Maxwell house and it comes in a card board type can. I have missed a few over the years when I do my stock rotation (don't have the stock to worry about now) and have some cans over 2 years past the best before date on them. I have not noticed a taste difference. I see no reason to repackage them.

When it comes to repackaging food, I always use new mylar bags. For the "extra" bags such as you are talking about (as well as chip bags), I have seen them used in non food ways. There are several web sites and youtube videos on reusing bags. I have even seen them washed and crocheted into sleeping mats.

Thanks for feedback

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Update. I ave been experimenting with them retaining their seal and so far so good. I use a mid/ upper grade Cabelas food vacuum rig and double seal them at least twice.

The 380 gram bags are great for compressing socks... down to smaller size and even in a rain soaked pack, will keep them fairly dry. Same for batteries, energy bars etc

Due to wife’s purchase, I will have lots of them and they are pretty tough looking packaging so will give them a whirl with salt or other spices and see what they taste like after a year.

Won’t turn them into mats or a hat πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

But but you need the hat. You know they are scanning your thoughts and sending you them too. We all need are tin foil hats. Maybe a tin suit or armor lmfao

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Once upon a time when providing certain services, I would be put in touch with the odd tin foil hat lady. I would get a call from P.I or other type client and They would ask if I could go see them and listen. I never would charge them. Truly sad situations.

That said, I remember one case where a coworker type contractor acquaintance did go out to a house in I believe the TO area. Kid across the street was messing with TV control and really had the police and others stumped until he figured it out

So keep the roll of tinfoil handy 😯

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network