May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

It's Emergency Preparedness Week - Did You Even Know?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

So here we are at Canadas annual EP week. Unless you were looking for it, you probably didn't even realize it.The media doesn't seem the least bit interested in it, even with the epic failure of the new Alert Ready tests.
Is your provincial, regional, or local government promoting it at all?
Are there any events happening in your area?
Enquiring minds want to know!

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

The Halifax Regional Municipality encourages people to read through their brochure on emergency preparedness. They have a quiz and a draw daily (throughout the week) for a number of emergency preparedness kits. The media has been mute so far about this event.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

So here we are at Canadas annual EP week. Unless you were looking for it, you probably didn't even realize it.The media doesn't seem the least bit interested in it, even with the epic failure of the new Alert Ready tests.
Is your provincial, regional, or local government promoting it at all?
Are there any events happening in your area?
Enquiring minds want to know!

Nothing in local papers, haven't heard anything on local CTV news.
No one in gov really cares. No glory of photo ops. If they tell you and they do, to prepare for 72 hours, they deliberately limit the extent of an “unforseen” disaster so they can tell folks It was totally unexpected and we are “working hard with all our emergency services providers, they are doing a great job, blah blah blah”. If they did tell people to have a minimum of two weeks supplies, people would say, why. Are you telling us things are not secure? If so, why are you not doing anything about it? And on and on. Telling people three days is a nice way of limiting chaos during a tiny power outage type event.

Human nature and dishonest governments ad to the impact of events. So many events can be prevented or greatly reduced if only gov was honest and took preventative counter measures Gov officials will be fine, they will have well paid police protecting them, access to military supplies etc etc. Average folks, well they are up snot creek without a paddle, but the gov is working real hard and stay tuned to the propaganda broadcast that says relief is coming. Remember, we are all working hard. LMAO

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

The red Cross sets up a booth at the front of the local Wal mart for a few days and hands out brochures. Thats it.

The failure of the emergency broadcast test has been in the news...but now that you mention it...no talk about it coinciding with EP week...

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The Halifax Regional Municipality encourages people to read through their brochure on emergency preparedness. They have a quiz and a draw daily (throughout the week) for a number of emergency preparedness kits. The media has been mute so far about this event.

Its a shame. Guessing media had time to report a fire, at least ten to fifteen minutes for sports, cat stuck in a tree, maye a bake sale to raise money for local hospital.

Discussing power failures, cyber attack impact on financial system, hack of old age security system.... nah, sports is more important!

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I knew it was EP week but nothing new, locally, except the failure of the national alert test, of course.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I knew it but nothing on news, nothing posted, even the bloggers are quiet about it this year..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

The only time I've ever seen a full-blown campaign for emergency preparedness was in Stephen Harper's first mandate, when they ran television ads throughout the week to let people know about the Emergency Preparedness Canada website.

Face it, some governments think emergency preparedness is about helping the citizenry plan for an emergency. Other governments think it's about making sure there are enough RCMP officers at Roxton Pond to bell-hop the bags of illegal immi, er, future voters entering the country.

Some governments want you to be dependant on them, that makes it easier for them to control you.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

It’s been quiet on all fronts here. Matter of fact, had you not brought it up, I wouldn’t have known. Back when I was in the southern US, they used to have a well attended preparedness fair, but I guess when you are in tornado and hurricane-prone region, it’s part of the culture.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

In honour of EP week I present the after action report on the 1979 Mississauga Train Derailment. Read it carefully. A lot of information on what goes into sorting a disaster out. Think about what would change in this day and age.

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/lbrr/archives/he%201783.c2%20r47%201979-eng.pdf

ReplyQuote
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

It’s been quiet on all fronts here. Matter of fact, had you not brought it up, I wouldn’t have known. Back when I was in the southern US, they used to have a well attended preparedness fair, but I guess when you are in tornado and hurricane-prone region, it’s part of the culture.

I worked for a week once down in Florida, at my company's American plant. The first day my liaison took me to my temporary office, opened the desk drawer, and pointing at two heavy-duty looking plastic bags and said, "If there is a hurricane, that one goes over the computer, that one goes over the monitor, then go seek shelter."

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network