April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

No shortages?

142 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I know of a number of really good employers who staff are saying, screw going to work when while not collecting full pay, figure they are saving gas...and just stay home.

Then there are government workers who while being paid mind you and being asked to now come back, are finding excuses like my child is traumatized about going to school or daycare...

Said it before, we will see increased hatred from and for various types of workers or non workers.
We paid students to stay home when farm workers were in shortage, the WE scandal, money for indigenous communities when case up north are near non existent...

Not political, just understanding the human dynamics in play and as things worsen, will increasingly become very evident and taken advantage of.

Beware folks

As timing would have it, I mentioned looking for that sweet spot to sell. Well, Speaking with a very intelligent person the other day and apparently one of their children was told by the real estate agent to sell their home now while prices are up because of an estimated 7% drop. This in Toronto outlying area. Makes sense when you think that there is only so many people out there that can afford these high prices, financial impact has not yet really hit ( far worse to come).

When more restaurants........... close, those small, medium and even small “ large” companies fail, owners, their suppliers ...will all be in big trouble and a piddly 2k a month won’t cut the mustard / payments beyond one week of expenses. Simple math

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Popped into Costco this morning to do the monthly consumables restock. Not a single roll of tp or white paper towels. Lots of kraft paper towel.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Popped into Costco this morning to do the monthly consumables restock. Not a single roll of tp or white paper towels. Lots of kraft paper towel.

I was in the ones in Guelph, and Barrie. Costco and Wal mart. The same.

However shoppers has it on sale, and bargain store...both well stocked.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

interesting about the TP. if memory is right, i believe it was TP that was the first item to be hard to get and then when they cancelled school, that was when the food blitz occurred. be interesting to see what happens in next week or so.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Local Peavey Mart (farm store) looked pretty bare today when I went to get feed. Not a single vet meds available (blue/red kote, blood stop, electrolytes, etc).

Sacks of feed have gone up to $16.50!

Good thing I found an alternative moving forward, I just wanted to mix one sack of usual feed with the new stuff to ease the transition.

Good thing I was prepared too; a quick glance at canning supplies area and nothing but bare shelves.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Was at landfill recently. In the bin was, 5 new pt fence boards, 3 new 8ft pt 2x6, 1 new pt 4x4 and 2 sections of used pt fence. Boards on these looked in great shape. Unfortunately they were all too far down to grab. It is a no salvage landfill but...
I have a friend who works at same landfill. What he has seen thrown out would make you sick.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Not exactly critical to most but indicative of how spread out shortages are. Simple 2/4 joist hangers! Grabbed the last 16 from large brand name store and entire shelf of other related items all gone.

So look long and hard to your needs and grab what you can now because it will not get easier this winter.

ReplyQuote
Lee Enfield
(@lee-enfield)
Estimable Member

Labour industry?

Trying to get a windshield changed due to severe rock/windshield interaction. Closest appointment is 3 weeks out and they said being completely swamped. That’s at a larger chain place. Tried to call some of the ma-n-pa places and they don’t even pick up the phone.

Similar situation here; I made an appointment to get my vehicle undercoated and every date offered was weeks and weeks away. I finally mentioned that they must be very busy. The reply was that their usual undercoating workforce refuses to come in because they are getting government money. They have to use their mechanics to do the undercoating.

Shortage wise, in the line of work I am in, we are dealing with six to ten week deliveries for acrylic tubs and showers, anything aluminum, wood furnaces, wood/oil combination furnaces, some plastic pipe, some heat pumps. These are not everyday items like toilet paper but if someone ripped their old wood furnace out and expect to get a replacement off the rack - good luck.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." - Cicero

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mylar bags can be pretty scarce, the good wife decided to check one evening and there was 100, one gallon bags and absorbents, snagged it and poof no more. So we canceled a previous order for twenty ( best we could get a month or so ago)

things are getting harder and harder to find and given numbers of new cases, I cant see it getting any better. Maybe a lull in lumber due to snow impeding new decks but will the Covid pricing factor still keep it expensive or will we be in luck?

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

And it’s back, toilet paper shortages. Not sure how spread the issue is but there were practically no paper products left at Costco when I visited yesterday.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

have not been inside a wallyworld or costco in months and hope to keep it that way. pickup orders and a few quick specialty dashes is all we do. tempted to go in just for a look but not really worth it. Walmart is often short of fairly common items and substitute things. Also noted higher level brand names are not available ( true or greed?) so we end up getting their great value brand/

ReplyQuote
(@seticruncher)
Eminent Member

Strange item, but a family member told me that they went to three separate Grocery Stores and couldn't find any Bounce Dryer Sheets anywhere. Kind of a Strange item to suddenly come up short.

Noticed a couple grocery stores with signs limiting customers to a single package of paper towels. I haven't noticed any shortage or increased demand for Paper Towels but as they are being limited to 1 pack per customer, clearly there is an issue somewhere.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Near Ottawa, we have seen paper towel shortages at Wally World for a few months now.
family member in west end of Montréal said Costco had lineups outside early Monday morning

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Heard that north of montreal at mont tremblant, that grocery stores are limiting canned goods to 2,

here near ottawa, wallmart is short on a number of food items like cheese, some canned fruits etc. I stay out of stores as much as possible so can only comment on curbside pickups. We are now only topping up or replacing what we use each week or so. Meat comes from a butcher,,so really only two or three sources for food stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I am beyond glad that my girlfriend is running a local food program and I get my food boxes from it and that I can order "extra's" to the basic orders that are split into the food boxes.. but let me tell you the shortages are real.. I went looking for a item.. 64 listed in the system.. available.. 2.. yup.. 2.. the rest.. not available at this time.

the one order.. we wanted apples.. so many apples on the order list.. avaialble.. 5 pound bags of macintosh.. that was it.. nothing else was able to be ordered that week.. its eye popping.. still some great deals to be had in the program and no going to the store to make it happen.. huge bonus!!!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network