May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

semi autos

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rcwoodcrafts)
Topic starter  

We cannot get much in unrestricted rifles. Can anyone help me with Canadian sites that will help me buy and suggest how to max tweeke my SKS????----RC

(@supermag)
Eminent Member

Just what do you want to do to I,t options are only as what you wish to spend & do?

supermag

ReplyQuote
 ndn
(@ndn)
Trusted Member

as soon as you change the sks from 5 rounds to take more ammunition it then becomes a Restricted fire arm

Thank you

NDN

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

as soon as you change the sks from 5 rounds to take more ammunition it then becomes a Restricted fire arm

Actually, it becomes illegal. Restricted firearms also have to abide by capacity rules : 10 rounds for handguns and 5 rounds for any centerfire rifles.

ReplyQuote
(@bigmoe99)

Marstar

ReplyQuote
(@supermag)
Eminent Member

Actually it's 5 rounds for SEMI-AUTO center fire rifles and no limit for manual repeating center fire rifles(bolts, levers, pumps) this Federal ruling has nothing to do with individual provincial hunting reg's be what may

Making a sks mag into more than 5 rds by drilling out rivet makes it a prohibited magazine in Canada

Supermag

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member

There is a plethora of semis in both unrestricted and restricted rifles. As previously stated, unpining an SKS is highly illegal. I'm not sure where you are, but I've always found the best information can be found at my local shooting range. My local range also has a store on-site, and the staff there are extremely knowledgeable, and you can handle the arms to see what suits you. It usually helps to have an idea of what you might want in terms of caliber and use. That, or also check out some local chains. I don't like Bass Pro much for firearms, but I purchased my favourite rifle at Sail, a Remington 783 (Though this is a bolt action, not a semi). Maybe check out a Ruger Mini 14? Most retailers either have them or could probably get you one in. Here it is on Cabela's website http://www.cabelas.ca/product/11797/ruger-mini-14-ranch-semi-auto-rifle

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Go here:
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/
check out all the vendors with banner ads at the top

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

.... firearms are not restricted by capacity, magazines are. As for the SKS, there are several adaptors available to convert them to a LEGAL 10 round XCR PISTOL magazine.
Other than that you can replace the stock, add various sight mounts, peep sights and clean up the trigger.
My sks is in a Monte Carlo stock(synthetic), I have a scout scope mount, a 2.5x leupold ler scope and a trigger that has been polished, lightened and shortened.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

.... firearms are not restricted by capacity, magazines are. As for the SKS, there are several adaptors available to convert them to a LEGAL 10 round XCR PISTOL magazine.
Other than that you can replace the stock, add various sight mounts, peep sights and clean up the trigger.
My sks is in a Monte Carlo stock(synthetic), I have a scout scope mount, a 2.5x leupold ler scope and a trigger that has been polished, lightened and shortened.

Actually, this is inaccurate. Though the 10 round capacity magazine is legal for a pistol, placing it on an SKS rifle makes the system prohibited. The other way around is true as well. You can have a 25 round magazine for a rimfire rifle and that is entirely legal. However,mothers is now a Ruger 10/22-compatible magazine that can also work on a handgun (where the max capacity is 10 rounds) and the RCMP has decided to make the entire mag illegal. This is allegedly under review as the owners of 10/22s and 25 round mags are very common but there are very few owners of that pistol.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Bulletin # 72 RCMP
4. Magazines designed for one firearm but used in a different firearm

The maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the kind of firearm it is designed or manufactured for use in and not the kind of firearm it might actually be used in. As a consequence, the maximum permitted capacity remains the same regardless of which firearm it might be used in.

Example:
The Marlin model 45 (Camp Carbine) rifle chambered for 45 Auto caliber uses magazines designed and manufactured for the Colt 1911 handgun, therefore the seven round and eight round capacities are permitted.

The XCR pistol magazine is designated as such and is legal for use in both the sks(adaptor) AR style rifles and the new sks-15(Scorpio).
By you logic all pistol caliber carbines would also be prohibited devices.

I don't want to be confrontational but I suggest you check your sources sir, I am curious as to where you got your information.

As for the Ruger Charger pistol, 532 were originally imported. The RCMP's reinterpretation of the firearms act is under review and several of the firearms organizations are filing suits.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

Nagol, if you are reading the same bulletin that you just quoted, see #1 (assuming you were quoting from: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm )

1. Magazines designed or manufactured for both rimfire calibre rifles and handguns

Example 2*: The Ruger BX-25 magazine, chambered for 22 LR calibre, is designed and manufactured for use in the Ruger SR22 rifle, the 10/22 family of rifles/carbines and the 22 Charger handgun. As a result, this magazine is a prohibited device unless modified so its capacity is 10 cartridges or less. (*This information was not included in the original version of this bulletin, but was added on 2013-09-05.)

I think this is what helicopilot referred to - the Ruger magazine that is compatible with both rimfire & handgun is now banned. I don't know the history as to the original design, but lots of gun owners are pissed about the unfairness & arbitrary nature of this decision, since most own/used this mag in the rimfire 22 not the handgun.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

For the ruger: the original BX magazine was designed in '78, the "charger" was designed in the 90's and first imported in 2001.

The RCMP claims that the BX was "inherently" designed for the charger. Obviously a false statement.

Also to be banned it has to be for "a commonly available handgun", again not applicable as they are no longer in production and were imported in a very limited capacity.

So yes the ruger issue is a separate bag,
There is also the fact that rimfire's are specifically exempted from the magazine capacity laws and there is NO specified differentiation between long arms and pistols.

Courts will have to decide this one.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I was indeed making references to bulletins 72 as being an owner of a 10-22 this applied to me. Reading the reference you put forth Nagol, I would have to indeed agree with you. The problem is that I suspect very few LEOs will be aware of that rule and they will apply the 5/10 rule and that will land you in trouble until you spend enough lawyer fees to get you out of said trouble. I don't see this as a worthwhile argument to potentially face.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

I carry a copy of the bulletin, and also include legal protection with my firearms assosciation memberships.

Its rare the crown presses unjust charges once they find you have specific firearms legal representation. They like easier targets.

As for the 10/22, it's a pain in the ass but I still like shooting them.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network