May 19, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Greetings from the Yukon

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@joellm)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone! :mrgreen:

I'm mostly new to prepping and I believe I inadvertently fall under the prepper category. I believe that in today's society a lot of people are missing out on fundamental skills that are seemingly being forgotten. The skills that I am referring to can be summed up as being self reliant, most of my friends couldn't live a day with out their cell phone. 😯 This realization was a bit of an eye opener to me as to how much we rely on industry for all are fundamental needs and resources. My goal that I have set my self is to become as self reliant as possible in the next five years. This includes going off grid, Growing our own food, Long and short term storage, harvesting our own Meat and animal products, and Most off all minimal wast. A few projects that I am looking into are Energy production ( Solar, Wind, Hydro and Wood Gasification), Seed production in order to produce a yearly harvest with out relying on store bought seeds, anaerobic digester for gas, grey water recycling, constructing a root cellar ... The list goes on but this should give you a good idea as to what my long term goals are, will I achieve them all, I donno but you gotta start somewhere. I'm not doing this to prep for any particular reason other then I want to be self reliant. I hope to share with you my experiences as I start these project and I also hope to take advantage of the findings of other people on this site, I should be moving to a location that will allow me to start my dream sometime by the end of the summer!

Best Wishes
JLM

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."

"Be careful when you cast out your demons that you don't throw away the best of yourself." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

(@heathenwench)
Eminent Member

Hi JoelLM;
Welcome. Your comments on self relience rings a bell for me. It never ceases to amaze me how much better I feel about myself having made this decision, even when my progress isn't going as fast as I would like. I found new meaning to one day at a time... I prepared for one day on my own... then two....then three...next thing you know you are good to go for six months. What a great feeling.

ReplyQuote
(@captain-ahab)
Estimable Member

Hi JoelLM:
It is great to hear from someone from the Yukon. I believe that in Canada the Yukon may have the best SHTF bug out or bunker locations of anywhere and I have often thought about going further north from BC and looking for land there. What mostly holds me back is the price for large plots of waterfront land.
I think that you have the right idea as to becoming as independent as you possibly can from all the grid necessities.
My wife and I are also planning on becoming as self reliant as we possibly can and I look forward to reading how things are going with you and your progress.
Take care.

Noli Illigitimi Carborundum
(Don’t let the bastards wear you down)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Joel,

How are your preps going?? You made a great start. You have been quiet lately. Tell us more about what is going on in your part of the country. The sun must be up for quite a few hours now.

I am looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey there Joel! I too am a Yukoner... I just happen to be stuck in Alberta for now... sigh. πŸ˜₯

How has your summer been so far? And how did the highway washouts affect you? One thing I love about the North, you get plenty of opportunities to experience situations that necessitate prepping, if even on a small scale. Washouts, land or rock slides, avalanches, floods, forest fires, blizzards, etc... Gosh, I miss home!

Anyways, I'd love to hear how your prepping is progressing, what approaches you are taking, views on alternative technologies (modern vs. old-school), etc.

Squish

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network