May 13, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Dog food

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So its been 4-4.5 years or so since I had to change my diet. I had never given thought to what I fed my dog, usually what was on special at Walmart or Superstore. She has always drank a lot of water, and I mean a lot. It seemed to be getting worse as she aged. Last summer I actually looked at the list of ingredients on the packages. They used words that implied that it was a meat based product, but could have been cardboard impregnated with ground up pig nose slurry for all I knew. I suspected the store bought processed food was as bad for her as the store bought processed food had been for me.
I saved all the trimmings from a couple deer I butchered up last Nov and put the waste through a grinder. I have been using this as the meat base the last few months to make my own batches of dog food. I make different kinds, but a typical one consists of 1/3 ground and cooked deer meat mixed with some cooked rice, rolled oats, whatever vegetables are about to go bad get put through the grinder and cooked. Lentils and split peas are some times added. Most things do have to be put through the grinder before cooking other wise she will try to leave the vegetables behind but if everything is ground to the same consistency and mixed together, she cant.
She is a completely different dog, drinks normal amounts of water now, is calmer. The difference was almost immediate. Something to think about if you have a dog.

But there is still one problem with this dog...no one...no one, takes a Lab that looks like this serious as a guard dog. I need to get something like a Shepard or Shepard cross, something that would be taken more serious.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

(@nagol)
Trusted Member

I’m waiting on another pup. We currently have 2, husky and Shepard/ malamute cross
We’ve always had 3+ the fosters we work with.

This new one needs a raw diet, so I’ve been busy looking for sources.
Filled out the paperwork to legally pick up road kill, talking to butchers(most are tapped out by other people already) and I’m now looking at local livestock auctions for retired animals. So far, none of the hunters I know have sent anything my way and I’ve had no luck in the last 2 years.

Feeding raw can be a full time job or gets very expensive.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network