May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Start of a new year with out credit

85 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here is some info I did not have when I bought this bike. I am partial to steel, its great to work with, anyone can weld or repair it, and do so anywhere in the world. I have always bought steel bikes because of it and thought them best. This is my first aluminium bike, and being aluminium I was hesitant.
I just came across this article on the testing of bike frames and to my surprise aluminium beat out (overall) every other material in frame testing.
See for yourself. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/frame_fatigue_test.htm

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Cool idea peppercorn! It would be a good idea to load it up and get some practice. One of my first assignments, when I joined the Police Department, was motorcycle duty. I quickly learned that riding a Harley was different than the same motorcycle loaded down with radio and emergency equipment. 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

It was sad when I read that Sheldon Brown had passed away. Easy to get lost in his site. So much interesting info there.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Cool idea peppercorn! It would be a good idea to load it up and get some practice. One of my first assignments, when I joined the Police Department, was motorcycle duty. I quickly learned that riding a Harley was different than the same motorcycle loaded down with radio and emergency equipment. 🙂

I will be doing just that.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It was sad when I read that Sheldon Brown had passed away. Easy to get lost in his site. So much interesting info there.

Yes,that guy knew more about bikes than anyone.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I completely forgot to mention, but if you look at that rear rack box it just so happens to have a shape (top arch part) that will allow me to fit in a Honda 2000, or one of my Firman inverters. Being made of perforated aluminium (sides), the air and exhaust can flow in/out as needed. I can be riding along under battery power and having a inverter generator keeping my battery charged up at the same time, and no one would be the wiser. If you remember when I got the inverter last sept, I went to extra efforts to quiet the exhaust. I was planning ahead for this. Yes crazy..but like a fox.
I estimate 40km per half liter of fuel if used this way. 50km per half liter if a Honda 1000.

Though a Honda 1000 would be a better choice as its only 28 pounds.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

You may be mistaken for MadMax peppercorn! lol ... But it's hard to argue with 100 km/L

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You may be mistaken for MadMax peppercorn! lol ... But it's hard to argue with 100 km/L

Mad max with bi focal glasses, a knee that makes popping sounds, and a follicly challenged skull. Mad Max5, the final chapter "get off my lawn"

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I now have well over 1000km on this bike, on my way to 2k now. I feel like I can give out some real hard data now on its performance. The longest continuous rides I have done have been to the 50km mark, the bike could go further but that is about my back's limit for sitting on a little seat, that's about 1.5hrs of pedaling at a good clip (34-37kmhr or so).
If a person just hoped onto to the bike and did not pedal at all, just used the throttle at max, then you absolutely would get a minimum of 40km of distance. A inexperienced rider with the littlest of effort pedaling can easily extend that to 55, 70 km range. A rider who uses the bike say 3 times a week and is keeping his legs in shape will have no problem hitting 100+ km on a single charge. This model of electric bike I can highly recommend.

This bike has given me a real taste for electric motive power, I now find my self looking at electric motorcycles....

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just had a ipifony, I am replacing my house batteries with Lifepo4 and I put the tape measure to them and It turns out I can fit four of them inside that rear rack box I built. Wired in series I would have a 50 volt 100 amp hour battery (5kwhrs). Without even turning the pedals that's enough power to take me from Calgary all the way to Edmonton, and then back down to Red Deer non stop. If I pedaled a bit I bet I would have a 600
electric bike.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just had a epiphany, I am replacing my house batteries with Lifepo4 and I put the tape measure to them and It turns out I can fit four of them inside that rear rack box I built. Wired in series I would have a 50 volt 100 amp hour battery (5kwhrs). Without even turning the pedals that's enough power to take me from Calgary all the way to Edmonton, and then maybe back down to Red Deer non stop (Ponoka for sure). If I pedaled a bit I bet I would have a 600km electric bike.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Summer is coming to a end, I feel the chill in the night air. I am at the 2000km mark with my electric bike. I can say without reservation that I got my monies worth. No complaints, I have been looking things over and from brake pads to tires, the wear has been so little you would think it a new bike.

I almost wiped out on it this summer, I hit a patch of pot holes at night doing about 35km, it was a series of about a 1/2 dozen pot holes spaced just far enough apart that the bounce from the first pot hole was amplified by each successive pot hole that the force was such that my feet were knocked off the pedals, hands knocked of the handle bars the chain knocked off the chain ring. I recovered without falling off the bike but just barely. No damage to the bike at all, I am certain had I been any normal framed bike that I would have bent the forks, or folded in a rim. Work and winter will now cut down my riding. I have tweaked things a bit with the bike since I bought it, I can now get 40km a hour out of it, I have just ordered in some parts that I hope to add before the snow comes, so that with the flick of a switch I can get a boost in speed to maybe 43ish km a hour out of it. Wont know for sure until I try. This bike was bought for exercise mostly, and It has worked great my legs are like tree trunks now.

I had a failure of the battery charger, called the company up and they said no problem just send the old one back (they gave me a shipping label) and they would send me a new one. I didn't realise that they had shipped one out straight to me when I made the call, I thought I was going to have to wait while the defective charger went back to them, and then they would ship, but no they had one in transit to me right away. Because I didn't know they had shipped one out to me, and I didn't want be without being able to use the bike I opened up the defective charger, found the problem, fixed it and thinking I would call them up in a day or so to tell them to cancel the warranty claim but the replacement charger showed up, so now I have 2 chargers. So good bike, and good company.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Talk about a bad title for a thread, I should have posted Electric bike, but it started because my card was declined.

ReplyQuote
(@wabsey11)
Eminent Member

Got to love the way a conversation evolves. 600km in distance is impressive, and a great way to get around. It would be nice to see a few more it is their cars and onto a electric bike. If you believe the IPCC we have 11 years to make the change, and people using an electric bike is a change.

Don't Agonize, Organize.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Got to love the way a conversation evolves. 600km in distance is impressive, and a great way to get around. It would be nice to see a few more it is their cars and onto a electric bike. If you believe the IPCC we have 11 years to make the change, and people using an electric bike is a change.

I don't disagree with the report, I am certain we wont make the change, could, but wont make the change. Short sightedness/greed is a characteristic of our of our species.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network