May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bees

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
dollyndrew
(@dollyndrew)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

(@multifarious)
Eminent Member

Great picture! Would love to keep bees. I'd like to find someone in my area who would be willing to mentor me a little on it. Do you have any advice for someone who is thinking of keeping bees?

Thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

Depending where you are it just takes a little digging to find an association or someone willing to share some knowledge . You might want to get appropriate gear ( like a veil ) and read up a bit to attend a session with a more experienced beekeeper so you are not a liability.

Excellant source of information is this website : http://strathconabeekeepers.blogspot.ca/

I am trying some different things before I start another hive, built a safe pen away from the other critters and slowly planting herbs around it thinking something like oregano oils brushing off on bees coming and going might help with their health naturally against fungus and varoa mite . I plan to plant a lot more bee friendly plants as well. The more diversity the better .

ReplyQuote
(@multifarious)
Eminent Member

Thanks Syn! Great advice! I really like your idea of planting for natural pest control too! πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
dollyndrew
(@dollyndrew)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah - we joined our local bee keepers association and went for three months before we took the plunge... Read everything we could find too.

Lil guy and I have proper gear but DH is building up to no protection at all, just his zen like state to enhance calm in the critters πŸ™‚

Don't you love his redneck face protector?

ReplyQuote
(@multifarious)
Eminent Member

Wow! Good call regarding joining the association. I think we will definitely look into doing that as well.

As for your hubby's "redneck" face protection and having a zen like state... πŸ˜† Brave man! I think it's just a terrific picture though! We need more people willing to keep bees and to share their knowledge about it!

Thanks again πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
dollyndrew
(@dollyndrew)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

They seem quite happy and we are building up to putting the next level ( honey supers) on, which is where we will get our honey for consumption.

The brood chamber and first super are for the bees πŸ™‚

Mite count is low and no laying workers ( queen seems to be doing what she should). πŸ˜›

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network