April 25, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Coronavirus

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@thatnovascotian)
Topic starter  

Everyone is all hot and bothered by this Coronavirus outbreak, I'm not very concerned...yet; but I am on a couple of Prepper Discord chats and following updates on where new cases are being reported.
Are any of you prepping for this outbreak?

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Perhaps โ€œpreparing forโ€ is not the best term to describe what I do, but...

Iโ€™m not a big city / big crowd kind of guy, I live in the country side and I figure this would certainly help me keep my family safe. I certainly monitor world events and can react accordingly. At the same time, I have enough preps that with little notice, I could lock down the family for a couple months and we would be just fine, even if a virus caused widespread deaths resulting in a loss of services.

But... I donโ€™t stop living or worry crazy about this flu... yet.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Very similar situation as hell,
Farm country, supplies, water... could drop a tree and discourage some city punk from abondoning his car and walking down the VERY long driveway. Seen city guests be afraid to walk in the wood with me at night. Of course thereโ€™s exceptions and they would be addressed.

I view these types of events as a means to re-evaluate my situation. Time advances and one gets older, someone is sicker then ten, twenty years ago, so plans need to be updated.

The thing that is bothersome in my case, is my health. A stronger person may be able to fight it, but if I get it, my lungs will be almost certain to be my undoing. Struggle with keeping wife at home ( she is strong willed which is great but hard to hold back) and not being exposed and carrying back to the house. Thatโ€™s my largest concern with this. She keeps throwing my past dedication in my face to justify her taking care of others and itโ€™s hard to argue with. I tell he times have changed and we have more then done our duty, but...

I think the emotional strain of having loved ones still working and being exposed may be the biggest challenges to those of us who have all the other requirements like Heli mentions to be hunkered down.

So be it financial need or perhaps ones professional duty to help others, forces them to be exposed and like a Trojan horse, bring it back to loved ones. That for me is the kicker and makes a virus different then the power going out... and everyone pretty well being forced to stay home. A silent and invisible killer, brought into the home!

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

We took a tally of what we had for PPE. And really after that its monitoring the news, Health Canada, the WHO and our local regional health unit's updates.

Ive been told by a health professional who is involved in infection control to wash hands often and regularly, use hand sanitizer if you can't wash them at times, and dont touch your face including mouth, nose, eyes and ears. And that will greatly decrease the chance of catching most bugs, let a lone Corona which to anyone's knowledge really hasn't made a noticeable presence in North America yet.

The Corona virus is making the news cycle now. And i'm not trying to detract from that as its very important. But its good to remember there are other things to monitor and watch for as well. Its easy to get tunnel vision on this, but so far....its a relative non issue to us in Canada. ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@thatnovascotian)
Topic starter  

We took a tally of what we had for PPE. And really after that its monitoring the news, Health Canada, the WHO and our local regional health unit's updates.

Ive been told by a health professional who is involved in infection control to wash hands often and regularly, use hand sanitizer if you can't wash them at times, and dont touch your face including mouth, nose, eyes and ears. And that will greatly decrease the chance of catching most bugs, let a lone Corona which to anyone's knowledge really hasn't made a noticeable presence in North America yet.

The Corona virus is making the news cycle now. And i'm not trying to detract from that as its very important. But its good to remember there are other things to monitor and watch for as well. Its easy to get tunnel vision on this, but so far....its a relative non issue to us in Canada. ๐Ÿ™‚

That's exactly how I see it too. What Im not surprised about is that Toronto and Vancouver were where our first cases were reported as they both have very big Asian populations. But what surprises me is that its only 3 cases (so far). At this point im more concerned that we're gonna eat a nuke from North Korea. But I also work in a university with a large Asian student body and ive taken to being more germ aware.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

All about the odds.

I am sure there were some in China who, when the first three people were diagnosed With this funny new illness, didnโ€™t think much of it either!

Population density, hygiene...all help us. We also have to think about what can hurt us, things like business travel for one.

I fly to Vancouver for a meeting but stop in Toronto to catch a connecting flight. On the way back, I stop in Manitoba for connecting flight. All in a two day period. Everyone in my meeting came from other cities, towns across the US and Canada, maybe Israel. We all went out and had dinner, bars, maybe a concert or hockey game........all this time, I shook hands, opened doors, went to public washrooms, used cutlery, handed the waitress my moist glass....

So if Lady Luck taps the wrong person, it can spread fast. We donโ€™t know who these folks from China are but I am thinking they may have been less mobile and by nature stayed home, presented when they had symptoms and were treated. If the case, Thank you baby Jesus !

So a big IF, but if the wrong person caught it from these folks and did what I mentioned, we are then screwed. So less dense population, better hygiene and a ton of Lady Luck, will help us.

Like the things many of us would do in an emergency, the gov should be doing and that is isolating ourselves from the masses or in this case, known epi centers. The travel bans are appropriate and in my opinion, needed from the get go. Itโ€™s not a case of being mean, anti business, anti tourist, racist, panicky etc. one only needed to look at even the official numbers, let alone logic of higher numbers and as I mentioned above with business or even pleasure travel to know if this got/ gets traction, we will feel some pain.

Just look at all past disasters and look at responses. To little, to late, all made the situation worse. I donโ€™t think to many smart people canโ€™t or couldnโ€™t see the writing on the wall. People just think that by โ€œhopingโ€, frozen in fear, not wishing to admit that buying a few more water bombers is better use of tax money then putting refuges up in hotels, subsidized housing etc, not wishing to spend money..., things will get better. Easily predictable spring floods, fires, mad cow... people simply need to recognize the obvious and deal with it and deal with it properly and PROMPTLY.

I was in Africa for years and if a leak developed in the roof, people would simply move to the side and put a pot on the floor, it spread, they put another pot... insane and to similar degree, we do the same. Much more grandiose, expensive pot and with with much fanfare, policies and initiatives, but still a simple stupid pot!

Would a prepper build in a flood zone? Not clear around their house to prevent trees from crushing roof, take water from creek beside outhouse...of course not, but look around and we see it.

So, we play the odds game and hope. Not a plan I would have any confidence in

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Per my previous post and others I have made about sheer stupidity of allowing any people who have travelled to China... read and weep
https://ottawasun.com/news/national/women-20s-countrys-fourth-coronavirus-case/wcm/464f9abb-dd63-4376-b102-5fab90c1878d

So she goes to not only China but Wuhan to visit parent with respiratory issue in hospital........
But she did wear a mask on that 15 hour flight, plus the three hours she was in airport before leaving, entire time after flight, al! The way to her room in London, never took it off to drink, eat, wash face, never ever scratched her nose and then opened a door, maybe picked up some fresh fruit on her way back to house.... hockey pucks!

And here we are, this far into the process and NO ONE said, hey lady, your not going anywhere!

Experts people say are the ones we must trust! , my bloody foot, our so called experts couldnโ€™t find their derriรจre with both hands in broad daylight and standing beside a mirror!

Not panicking, just saying those that think because a person has a degree in this or that, that we need to listen to them, or for that matter fifty of them in a room, are not getting it. The experts are almost always proven wrong by either another expert or a common schmuk with logic on their side.

So when the lights are out, itโ€™s getting a little cold in the house and โ€œexpertsโ€ tell people not to worry, will you listen or will one suddenly say, ya know the experts really cocked up a dozen times alone last year, maybe we should leave!

Said it before, there will be Monday morning quarterbacking going on when this is over. But right now, with what I โ€œthinkโ€ we know, I am comfortable so far in calling how the game may end. Maybe wrong and we will get lucky, but we keep doing completely moronic things like letting people in like this and we are in trouble.

Anyone hear what our health minister has planned for if and when canada manages to get some canoes over to China and bring back our citizens? Will they be put in a nice secure location or โ€œself quarantine โ€œ and never ever leave or have visitors for three weeks?

My guess is, it will be welcome home, now please be a good person and stay inside all alone for next three weeks, pinky swear!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Now, before any references are made to reliability of zero hedge, I am not say the below is accurate, just passing it along. Given what may be grown in level 4 labs ( itโ€™s not organic alfalfa sprouts), given how nice and friendly China is,... could the below be accurate,

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/coronavirus-contains-hiv-insertions-stoking-fears-over-artificially-created-bioweapon

Now, there appears to be some on this forum who do research and admire the experts over reasonably logical questions, so hereโ€™s a challenge, check out the various doctors, place in India , etc mentioned. All Chinese to me ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Oh, speaking of experts, guessing the captain of the titanic was an expert in his field!!! If some stupid, il informed nabob like me had said, hey captain, what about them there life raft thingies, deck chairs, nice wooden tables...... any chance we may need them? Why no son, I have my captains license and all my crew are also pros. We know what we are doing, step aside young man, your not qualified ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
Wonder how many smart people decided the charge of the light brigade was a good idea.

We know governments donโ€™t like panic, questions.... this virus just seems very strange. Huge amounts of people in zone inflicted, you may have seen the vacant streets under quarantine....other then wash your hands almost zero tangible info from governments, press has a tiny ditty, maybe after news on skating, sports, fire in an apartment and someones cat getting hit by a car.

Maybe a good time To look at finances and see what one can do, to stock up, cash, money for mortgage, car payments, rent etc.

Look forward to hearing from people who understand the technical jargon in that link and credibility of original sources are ( not the one who reports it)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As usual, yanks have their stuff together. No silly self quarantine....no idea why they are doing it, experts say cough into your sleeve and your golden ๐Ÿ˜† Wonder what we have in place if and when our canoes make it back. Five tents purchased at Canadian tire and stitched together. Plus side, we could snag some good deals on last years overstock!

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/pentagon-prepares-quarantine-housing-for-1-000-people-who-may-have-coronavirus

Rest assured, the US has these capabilities and a lot more ready, this is simply a public type notice and maybe getting the public warmed up to the idea of quarantine measures.

Tried finding update on our canoes paddling over to China but all is quite from our leaders. Guessing they havenโ€™t received permission yet

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Well hallelujah, feds finally figured out what to do, IFFFFFF and when! We are allowed to get our people out of China!

Sending them and crew to Trenton military base. A no brainer and should have been able to say that three plus weeks ago. After all, a monkey should have had a plan in place longggggg time ago for any such bio... issue. So why not just spit it out! Either we didnโ€™t have one, sites were not ready or we are just to chicken to state the obvious. Not sure which one it was but all are pathetic and possible. Now if it takes that long to figure out how to simply house 325 folks, imagine the level of preparedness with a few thousand needing simple observation. Stellar readiness plans, super impressive. Gotta love those experts. All after more than two decades where nuclear, bio, chemical or radiological attacks have been well known and discussed! Guessing some experts did mention the need and all the requirements, but other experts jumped in and said not needed.

Like the plans we try and make for our families, a garden in a city plot, isnโ€™t much good if people can jump the fence and steal ones produce, a generator without gas etc so I use these examples as a reinforcement on any doubt that I have or others may try and convince me on. Thereโ€™s not even any death and only a few cases and we are frozen, try and imagine a serious event. People living in the city or burbs, really, really need to plan for an exodus out,MOF and when something serious happens

https://ottawasun.com/news/national/canadian-evacuees-from-china-to-be-quarantined-at-trenton-military-base/wcm/02aca672-1016-4887-b699-29b529fcf09c

ReplyQuote
(@thatnovascotian)
Topic starter  

Totally agree with you there Clarence! I am lucky enough to live in a somewhat populated area, BUT......I am also pretty much in the boonies and have a vast expanse of woods to disappear into if I gotta get out of dodge. Actually have a few camp sites already scouted out as I like to camp out during the summer just so I can keep my bush craft skills in use. Always good to know you can live off the land as much as possible when the time comes to call instead of finding out last minute that you're floating down shit's creek and you lost your paddle back stream.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If you look around, one finds some very troubling video clips of deserted city centres, .... sounds like more areas being shut down. The Chinese are spray/ clouding the streets and I find that funny when in one breath they say itโ€™s spread by droplets and doesnโ€™t live long. I just went to the WHO site and no cases in all of Africa or South America ! Boy they must have no Chinese visitors, tourists, workers or business travelers at all ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Lucky them! https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200209-sitrep-20-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=6f80d1b9_4

So, we will see what happens.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network