May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

gamma seal lids, and ziplock closure for mylar bags

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@entropy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

long story short, i moved then moved again.
on moving i of course moved my wheat/oats/beans/salt/sugar/pasta/rice long term storage stuff. today putting it away (again) i was checking some of my buckets.

i had some COF (complete organic fertilizer) made up, and some of the "ingredients" in bucket with gamma seal lids. all lids were snapped on tight. all lids were screwed on tight. 3 of the 5 lids let water/moisture in. a couple of these were my fault because there where left out in the snow last winter. but i'm a little surprised they didn't hold up better.

some of my wheat has been storeged since 2007, some of it are in mylar bags with the "ziplock" type seals. some of those failed.
some of the seals are still tight. when i push on the bags they don't blow out the air. sadly there is air in some of the bags. meaning my oxygen absorbers failed. (when i say "some" i don't have an exact number of failures)

none of the bags that i sealed have appeared to have failed.
none of the snap on paint lids i used leaked or let any moisture in. (some had good gaskets)

the bags that did fail did not have any moisutre in them and the diatomaceous earth was all very dry.
the salt and sugar felt unclumped in their mylar bags and shifted as expected when the buckets were tilted.

lessons learned, i don't like the zip lock bags for long term use.
keep that damn buckets inside! (yes i know i'm a dumbass)
gamma seal lids aren't worth the price if the stuff is in a wet or moist area. but they are handy for often accessed items (why i used them for my COF ingredients.)

i'll be taking a day can checking all the buckets and fixing seals, replacing O2 absorbers as needed.

i had a animal get into some oatmeal, it was in a mylar bag but just in a tote. i was going to chuck it, but i'll use it for a COF base instead of the alfafa meal.

adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Thanks for the detailed overview.. sorry about a few of the unseals and such but its always good to have a learning curve

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network