May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Our families progress! (Pictures)

71 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
19 K Views
(@canuck_prepper)
Trusted Member

Heard the podcast. Well done! You made some really good points. What projects do you have underway these days?

I'll honk my horn and wave when I drive through the Cochrane area in several weeks!

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Heard the podcast. Well done! You made some really good points. What projects do you have underway these days?

I'll honk my horn and wave when I drive through the Cochrane area in several weeks!

Thanks for the reply; I wanted the show to be content rich and I'm hoping their will be a part two in the future with an update on MAGs and new tips and tricks.

I drove down 7 hrs to meet some nice folks at their BOL. Very nice place and I've offered to help start a raised bed garden at the end of the month. They'll get some needed hands and I'll get a second warm place to grow food for my family minimising the risk of having a bad season. Maybe even another BOL. Either way. Everyone wins.

I got into contact with some other people and got offers to sleep over if my meeting at the BOL went bad. I've been messaging with. All good contacts to further develop and make some more win win for modern survivalists.

I'll be self sufficient in bunching, egyptian onions, garlic, Jerusalem artichokes, rhubarb, many small berries and herbs in the next 2-5 yrs. Thay means 4 times more than I need. Fruit and nut trees to follow. The good years will bring bartering/ gifts and $ to help my family and friends that allow me to grow on their land or help me grow food at ome of these places or my 100 acres.

You're reading this and think I want to have an abundance of food for my family for decades to come. It's hard work but I'll help the right people anywhere do the same or better. Peace

ReplyQuote
 Vay
(@vay)

I just read through this whole thread, and I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on more land. It's tough in this area because of subzoning but someday...

In the meantime although I'm self sufficient in tomatoes and cucumbers I'm looking for more areas where I can hunt big game to put up canned meat. Maybe someday you'd allow me to use your land to hunt if I'm in the area in exchange for.... meat? Animal products? Dry goods? TBD?

In the fall I always go Apple picking and then spend days dehydrating them into slices and chunks, as well as ready to use Apple pie filling...

I generally just make salsa and tomato sauce with the tomatoes from the summer haul, generally have enough to sustain a family of 6 year round on top of providing for my mother and brother... with the cherry toms I dry them. They're a great little snack when spiced and I throw handfuls in when I cook a Mediterranean dish. I tend to stock up on green lentils and mung beans... sprout them rather than cook them. Nutritional value is insanely higher. 🙂 I feel like I get more bang for my buck. At 2$ a kilo, 50$ of lentils takes my family much farther than 50$ of rice...

I would also love to have a system that allows me to keep catfish in a barrel system which feeds back into an aquapinics setup which feeds back into the catfish tanks... not sure how I'm going to go about that just yet but it's something I have my mind set on.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to view any of your pictures (I'm using my phone) but one thing I've been thinking about more and more is that while good contacts are essential, you (general you) need to also have a method of communication during a teotwawki scenario, and in the case of emp, well, the most I know is areas where there may be likeminded people.

That said, I wonder if there's a (safe!!) Registry for people to get contact information to get in touch in such a scenario... a prepper black book, so to speak...

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im part of such a list for short term emergencies. Someone would have to earn their keep to stay longer than two weeks. Having a cache at the location before hand is a huge step in my view. Also I just got back from a work weekend and cleaning, work ethic, leadership and heart are essential to being accepted in a MAG.

You're welcome to come trapping or hunting during the season. If wish i was self sufficient in tomatoes and cucumbers. So hard to grow here but we're just learning. Do you have any room in your garden for extra plants

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just got back from a week trip to help a fledgling MAG. Weather was bad but 3 days at best. Pounding rain and 1 inch of snow kept morale low.

We still managed to split all the wood that needed it. Drain road. Carry in 80 plus pounds of food, almost finish 4 hugel garden beds, clean up ALOT of garbage, bought two 6large volt batteries and solar thingy they needed plus alot of perenials.

They offered me a generator, place to grow food and build a cabin and to borrow a wood splitter but without a truck bed or trailer i was scared of breaking the wheels for the splitter over 700kms. I'm helping a friend move tommorow.

The negatives with the place were only a few ppl cleaned up or did dishes. May times ppl only helped after I started alone and. Cluttering other ppls cabin and leaving a huge mess on the property caused many women to refuse to live on site. Those ppl know this and yet continue to be messy. No maintenance causes one man work and yet the owners continued to use the atv or tractor and broke them more.

Big things to overcome and yet Their was becons of hope through hard work

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The wife found this potato in our basement on the ground. Nature will always find a way

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ordered 200 asparagus crowns. Alot have already started coming out already. Im going to wait 3 years to eat em like I did for the first 3. 3 years is nothing compared to a lifetime of food for my family

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Garlic came up from last fall. We also planted spring garlic and more onions. I'm starting to see these mass plantings paying my taxes in the future. Maybe we won't buy Chinese garlic ever again with the chemicals I suspect they have on them

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I met a prepper last month. Short visit but the first ones always are. Everyones worried about opsec and is trying to figure out if the other person is bat shit crazy 😆.

We got a trailer on the side of a lake nearby so it's a perfect place to go in case our home is unlivable or to house my friends when they come to visit in a location Specific SHTF. Plus we were there pretty much every day at the municipal beach last summer anyways. So two for one special.

I'm in talks with a prepper I know about a group buy for food storage. We never really got over the work slow down that used up alot of our store inventory as my mum called it. So this is welcome news.

I got a bunch of culverts to get better access to the 100 acres.

The garden is planted and we've been getting rain every day since. We've even got volunter lettuce, radish and the perrenials are spreading like wild fire thanks to my wife and mother nature. I've got word that the garden I helped start in Bracebridge is doing well and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Looks like well have to expand the garden soon as many perrenials come in abundance.

Gas storage has gone up to go with the new ATV. A neighbor gave me an old horse trailer on 4 tires so it will be perfect and not put too much weight on the new bike.

Also getting a new to me heavy duty Toro snow blower. 13HP. I wont be dependent on the farmers tractor unless I chose to

I'm in a vehicle repair time and along with paying off the trailer and doing a few less shifts this summer by choice is putting me behind financially. Well get control of it soon and be back on track.

Our older dog has failling kidneys so were enjoying him while we still can.

I hope this post finds you all well and striving everyday to move forward.

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Got 40 strawberries and 90 purple asperagus crowns on liquidation at canadian tire for 110$. Less than a buck a crown. Plus I couldn't find purple asperagus online.

Wife planted then the very next day while I worked on my mums garden bed. What a women!

I showed the kids how to measure, use a square and use a drill.

Finished the day by going for a family dip in the lake and a rest at the trailer

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm concentrating on working really hard to pay all my fall bills. I git my biggest pay ever at just over 4600 clear. I worked 13 out 14 days. One would think im tired but the stress relief and working more days instead of alot of doubles; feels like I'm on vacation. We go out more and most of the kids activities, school and taxes are paid off. Besides winter tires the cars are in good shape too with low mileage.

Garden was a disaster with no spring and a freeze that froze right throught our tarp in late August-early September.

The wife made apple sauce with local apples from a friend and planted the St Anne onions he gave us.

I'm hoping to head down to the homesteaders land by bracebridge in late october and prepare a garden for next year as redundancy for ours and to help the people there.

Im wishing you all a great evening and keep plugging away at your resiliency

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network