May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rail Disruptions & Shortages

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Time to stock up ASAP. Freight is sitting idle and not getting to retailers.
In addition, China is basically on lockdown and a good number of factories are shut down due to the Covid-19 epidemic. Many products produced in Canada are made with foreign (aka Chinese) sourced 'ingredients'/parts.
It's expected that the WHO will declare a global pandemic soon.
THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO STIMULATE DEBATE ABOUT INDEGENOUS OR COLONIAL RIGHTS. THANKS

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Agreed, it’s almost always about the outcome of actions or inaction that we most often need to focus on right away.
Understanding The background causes, triggers or profiles do aid and can be a great help in understanding the future, but immediate is immediate.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Chinese factories at a standstill.
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3051534/coronavirus-chinas-manufacturing-supply-chain-pummelled-all

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It’s amazing on how little we are hearing on main media about small and medium sized companies and the shortages in supplies or ability to export goods. It mainly seems centered around passenger travel. But lots of businesses are hurting.

Besides the immediate concerns, the take away should be on potential future impacts to supply chain and this from a wide range of natural or man made disasters.

Be good to keep this forum informed on things people are finding in short supply. As we will not obtain from media, we would all benefit by what people are seeing on the ground.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

We are getting some local info here due to the blockade in St-Lambert. A local business there is about to lay off 20 people because he can't get his raw materials delivered...you guessed it, by train.
We have also notices some empty spaces on shelves at our regular grocery stores. Nothing too drastic yet, but it's showing.
Quebec will likely be yelling about propane soon too if this isn't figured out.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Propane; residential supply in Quebec is good for another 2-3 weeks. Farmers are pooched in 7-10 days.
Warehouses across the east are getting low on stock. Expect to start feeling it in 10-14 days. Companies like Tenaquip, wurth, provigo etc will have exhausted their supplies shortly.
Layoffs will start very soon, many employees have already been warned.

Amazon is hurting, the owner has sold billions in shares in the last 2 weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

good info, i am sure some small businesses are hurting and not getting the media attention they need. feel real bad for people and small businesses in need. not funny at all !

Not sure if people noticed but three of the recent train derailments, appear to be from sabotage! two of them in Saskatchewan were close by and involved oil. a new one just occurred in Quebec.

for those with a sensitive soul to Breitbart, just read the article, it almost always comes from reputable sources

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/02/21/foul-play-suspected-third-train-derails-month-far-left-call-sabotage/

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Propane; residential supply in Quebec is good for another 2-3 weeks. Farmers are pooched in 7-10 days.
Warehouses across the east are getting low on stock. Expect to start feeling it in 10-14 days. Companies like Tenaquip, wurth, provigo etc will have exhausted their supplies shortly.
Layoffs will start very soon, many employees have already been warned.

Amazon is hurting, the owner has sold billions in shares in the last 2 weeks.

I wouldn't put much stock in Bezos selling shares as a sign that amazon is hurting. On the freight side it seems like the seacans we are expecting from BC port are making their way here. Glad we have nothing coming in through Halifax though.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I was exchanging e mails with the distributor of my electric bike, seems production of all his models have been shut down, he still has some stock to sell but has been told that production isn't set to resume until the end of the month. Once they start the production lines up again I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the first batches of product from a line that's not been producing for a while.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I was exchanging e mails with the distributor of my electric bike, seems production of all his models have been shut down, he still has some stock to sell but has been told that production isn't set to resume until the end of the month. Once they start the production lines up again I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the first batches of product from a line that's not been producing for a while.

Good point. If one can wait to purchase something, it may be a good plan.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Already got notices up at the local feed store on a few things being back ordered in regards to stock. I will be interested to see how that goes over the next while.. Still a long way from now till the next harvests..

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO STIMULATE DEBATE ABOUT INDEGENOUS OR COLONIAL RIGHTS. THANKS

Like that has ever stopped me....though I am not debating, only as a Albertian I wish to say If any group would like to keep their postage stamp size piece of land (relative to the rest of it we have taken, deservingly of course) cut line free, I have no problem with that. Don't get me wrong, I love oil and gas but I know it don't love me back, (Im not even getting my phone calls returned )and the pipeline was offered a path, dispute free, around that land, but no...cant do it that way, no......just sayin, just sayin, not debating, ….wont be debating. This is a problem that didn't have to be!

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nothing going on these days in strikes etc but something for people to ponder for this fall. I could see truckers or other groups going on strike this fall and that could really cause a shortage during any resurgence of Covid. One more reason to take a hard look at topping up what one feels will be needed to get them through till maybe next fall. And it doesn’t have to be only a rail. truck, courier, border & customs... strike in canada, and any disruption in the Us would likely have big impact up here. Our just in time way of life is extremely vulnerable From a number of fronts during any crisis and always needs to be factored into our purchases

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Per below, strikes this fall can hurt supply chain. Port in montreal is still closed And with gov prorogued , I can’t see a weak position gov stepping in to mandate the end. And that is one of the things one may expect this coming fall.. strikes and governments so weak they do not wish to light an even bigger powder keg.

Of course, one could get the opposite where a gov steps in to look tough ( actually do the right thing) but with a nation in turmoil, it’s always a delicate issue. For those poor souls needing supplies, it will be especially painful. I mentioned the issue of strikes being especially disruptive before, so power and heat for canucks are two big things we need to be concerned about, even municipal water could be an issue. As we have seen play out in the breakdown of supply chain, it’s not just the obvious like the store being open but one of the raw material makers jamming up the production of pot... that can cause things to grind to a halt.

Pure speculation of course but unions may try and use strikes as a means of attacking any government or business attempts to cut back on payments. Under emergency measures act, people can be jailed, forced to work blah blah blah. But in today’s dynamic, the old threats of yesteryear and voting bloc dynamics are not as powerful as before. One can also envision an opposition party egging on trouble to unseat a sitting opponent Or to garner favors for next play.

Suffice to say, having the stuff you need, expecting shortages, perhaps losing a job etc, all need to be foremost in people’s minds. Nothing new of course but because we escaped some of these issues in the past six months and have a feeling of relief ( normal reaction), doesn’t mean we will in the next year or so. In fact, I would pretty well guarantee we will see more social disruptions IFFFF we do get the second and third wave and once they start, they tend to develop a life of their own and can morph into a number of different looking variants.

A striking power worker may get support from a homeless group or indigenous group shutting down train service again. So many factions looking for real or imagined boogeymen and willing to use a crisis to gain a bit more power are highly probable.

Apparently the liberal government said they want to use this covid crisis to advance other social changes before that “window of opportunity closes”. True or false does not matter per say, we know that this tactic is used so can expect nothing less then it being used, we simply need to be cognizant of it and plan as best we can.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network