May 13, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Alternative home defense.

48 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
17.1 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Bulletproof is about 1' of earth in the wall cavity 2' to be sure.

Lateral berms separate contiguous ranges within a complex or provide containment at the
perimeter. Like the range floor, they rarely receive direct fire and typically collect ricochets and
the occasional stray round, which results from cross fire across lanes. The typical penetration
depth is 1 foot. These berms may also be used on shotgun ranges.

http://www.itrcweb.org/documents/SMART-1.pdf

ReplyQuote
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

Rose bush as barbed wire.

Reaching 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide, it is grown as a specimen plant especially to display its distinguished thorns, the small, white single blossoms appearing only briefly in early spring. The individual thorns take up 2 inches each of vertical cane length, and stand more than 1 inch out from the cane.

Read more: Kinds of Roses With the Biggest Thorns | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8491647_kinds-roses-biggest-thorns.html#ixzz295waMkY1

"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ReplyQuote
(@hadestouch)
Eminent Member

For illusion... Laser pointer coupled with firecrackers for "warning shots" .. There is something decidedly intimidating about a red dot on your chest when things have just gone bang.. Years of movie conditioning I guess. How about hanging fish hooks at various heights... Could be tyed back, cut one piece of line to "arm" your system.. Imagine moving through that in the dark

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

WOW LOVE THE FISH HOOK THING! YES I KNOW MY CAPS ARE ON!

ReplyQuote
(@faraday)
Estimable Member

I got this as an email tip from a prepper who preps covertly, the vulcan pain stick. You take an old wooden broom handle and nail two nails into the tip, nip off the heads with wire cutters. Now strip the female end of an extention cord and wrap the wires around the nails. If you need it, it's like a plug in tazer. Of course this is for entertainment purposes and never intended to be used ever, certainly not on people.

If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

ReplyQuote
BelowTheRadar
(@belowtheradar)
Reputable Member

I just picked up 'ye olde' trusty aluminum baseball bat for $20 (on sale). In close range it is formidable but less than lethal when not aimed at a scull. When not facing a firearm it's pretty handy at disarming as well. Sitting in an in obvious corner it can be a 'silent sentry' until needed. God's gift? No. Bloody handy? Hell yes!

Than= I’d rather be rich than poor.
Then= I first became hungry then I ate.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.

ReplyQuote
(@gunnerdog)
Eminent Member

I've always been a fan of the pickaxe handle. They are usually made of hickory or ash, which makes them very durable. Aluminum bats vibrate, which hurts the hands. If I'm gonna crown somebody, I want them to hurt, not me too..lol

As far as bulletproofing. You're gonna need more than a foot of dirt. I've done many penetration demonstrations at the Canadian Forces Infantry School showing candidates how far our, and our enemies weapons, will go through sandbag walls and shit like that. I've seen a 7.62mm(.308) rip down cinder block walls, as well as a sandbag wall 3ft thick. Just letting you all know that 1 foot of dirt won't do shit.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Of all the alternate defense things I've heard of the only thing that really strikes me as really effective is a fire extinguisher. But I don't really think there IS an alternative to a firearm.
If the bad guy has one either:
1. you do too or
2. you're screwed.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't really think there IS an alternative to a firearm.

Like in nature there is a progression. Think bigger.

ReplyQuote
BelowTheRadar
(@belowtheradar)
Reputable Member

One item I have been thinking about (read: trying to find the right components) is a sling bow. Basically it's a slingshot that fires arrows. From what I have seen it would appear to have about the same lethality as a 40 lb. bow (the minimum allowed to hunt big game in Alberta during bow season). It's quite compact, easy to master and while I don't know about you but I would hate to be on the receiving end of an arrow shot from a 40 lb. bow. This may not sound like much energy but it's still about 2/3 of the draw weight of a modern long bow. That's enough to make me believe I really wouldn't like to be the target.

The second use for a sling bow would be the ability of being able to hunt small to medium sized game in the bush without having to maneuver the dimensions of a bow. If you are really stealthy a deer would not be out of the question during SHTF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6LxKfpAPYA

BTR

Too = That's too bad.

ReplyQuote
(@phuqd)
Estimable Member

I saw the exact same video and converted my slingshot into a sling bow.
It is a lot of fun, and would do awesome for small game, and a little easier to aim and shoot than just ball bearings.

ReplyQuote
BelowTheRadar
(@belowtheradar)
Reputable Member

I saw the exact same video and converted my slingshot into a sling bow.
It is a lot of fun, and would do awesome for small game, and a little easier to aim and shoot than just ball bearings.

Where did you source your whisker biscuit? That seems to be an old style biscut in the video.

Too = That's too bad.

ReplyQuote
(@phuqd)
Estimable Member

I found mine at a local hunting store where I live. I was in there doing my PAL, and saw one in the display rack, so I picked it up.
Since then I have seen them at Bass Pro Shop in Airdrie, Cabelas in Edmonton, and numerous online archery stores.
There hasn't been a place to source them very cheaply, around $30 is the most inexpensive I have found so far.

ReplyQuote
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

Yeah, the damn things aren't cheap, not like the guy in the video, getting it for $12 at K-mart. And where do you find the square mounts?

"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ReplyQuote
(@siberios)
Trusted Member

Bear Spray. Will pretty immobilize someone long enough to give you the opportunity to get away or lay into them with the baseball bat. A good whack to the thigh will pretty much slow anyone down.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network