May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Burglar Alarm System - What Do You Have?

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Time to convince Mrs HP that we need a puppy? 🙂

So many projects ($$) around the property, trying to address current issues and future issues in order of priorities. I would eventually like to put a pleasant looking but useful fence along the front of our property, with an equally good locking but solid gate at the end of the driveway. But for the time being, I have to go with the cheap tricks to keep the place safe.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Dogs work!
we went out last Friday and when we got home, I checked the security cams as usual. What do you know, but a rather sketch looking guy with a backpack came up to our door. I assume that the dogs barked as usual, and the guy can be seen leaving quickly...very quickly in fact.

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member

Dogs work!
we went out last Friday and when we got home, I checked the security cams as usual. What do you know, but a rather sketch looking guy with a backpack came up to our door. I assume that the dogs barked as usual, and the guy can be seen leaving quickly...very quickly in fact.

Indeed. We used to have an old Labrador who despite being the happiest, wiggliest, and friendliest looking dog around managed to scare off folks due to his very deep voice. A woof coming from a wiggle is apparently terrifying!

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

Too bad about the dog. My 1st line of defense is my dobergirl 😉 My 2nd is having & being good friends with a retired nosy neighbor who sees EVERYTHING that happens, and isn't afraid to let me know, or to run down the street after them (happened at least once with someone stealing bikes). More applicable to a suburban area. The 3rd is that some people know I do target shooting and that I am pretty accurate. (Of course in theory can also make you a target for gun theft) Not sure if either of those help you... The last one is somewhat tongue in cheek, as they know I would not jeopardize my job by doing anything foolish, so that only helps me in a true SHTF/zombie apocalypse 😉

Another alternative to the bell, is those cheap magnetic door alarm, where you put one on the door/window and one on the frame, and once you open the door, it breaks the magnetic connection and you can set it to chime, or sound a really loud alarm. I had those, but then I forgot I installed them & gave myself (and others) a heart attack every time we opened a door lol. So I turned them off.

It sounds like the motion-activated game camera is a good option. My friend had his set up to email him photos when something moved. You could also set up additional fake/old cameras if they look real enough.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@dougm)
Eminent Member

Might have to further improve security of my property. Next acreage over (actually just across a tree line) was burglarized yesterday. Truck and electronic stolen. I suppose not locking your doors doesn't help...

Maybe the alarm sign at the end of the driveway was enough of a deterrent for the low-life to just skip our place. Or again, maybe this was a targeted house for unknown reasons. Anyway. Nothing on my game cam to help investigators. I'm thinking about acquiring a couple more to place around the place. As a bonus, I seem to have regular deer visits, so I might be able to capture them on cam.

Badguys have Intel nets. Might have heard you are a hard target. No percentage in getting hurt or caught unless the take is high. Your neighbor probably knows the person that hit him.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

A little creepier now that I have more details. The perpetrator actually used my neighbours' stolen vehicle to go commit an armed robbery in Red Deer. So there was a chance he had a weapon when he broke into my neighbours' place. Mrs HP remains unconcerned; sigh.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Many systems work well in passive situations. What I mean by this is that Perps are often dissuaded from committing a forced entry/B&E (for example) by a barking dog, lights, video cameras, etc. I think that there are many good choices, many of which have been discussed.

I don't however think that the usual methods are effective in a SHTF situation where 'security' is needed. If someone is watching their family starve, are armed and organized, they are not going to run away from a neighbour or a dog. A video camera might make you feel good, but the Perp doesn't care about how many pictures you take of him. He's going to try to eat your lunch.

The best defense in this scenario is either stealth (where you hide your goodies), or you maintain a tactically secure location i.e. signage that trespassers will be shot, watch towers, lines of fortification. Such preparations would include devices to slow the advancement of individuals on the property and hard security of defensive and storage areas (barred entrances, etc.)

The scenario in-which Ma and Pa Kettle (with their hound dog Blue) find themselves protecting a food supply (where there otherwise is none) from hungry people with Pa's scattergun isn't a likely recipe for success. Either you plan to be unseen (hiding your stash), or fortify. Unless you have a large organized group and the resources, the former is usually the best option.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Start as far out from house. Buried metal detectors is good to detect vehicles entering lane, good quality cameras with infrared. Install cameras and zoom them in so the see what you need. Try and use a crossfire pattern so all areas are covered. It also helps when the idiot goes to break one camera / the other camera looking at it, now captures the twit.
Motion activated and pick highest resolution. Do a pre and post event recording. Make sure time date is set and check off daylight savings box. Check recording regularly. You want minimum two weeks recording capabilities
Configure so you get email alerts, you also want to be able to dial in. Ring makes a decent camera for remote viewing and they offer for a price to record on the cloud

Motion activated lights are essential

All doors need to be armed, motions on all floors. Go hardware whenever possible.
Have panic key and code configured. Make sure installer changes default 1234 code!!!!!
,make sure you have admin code, as well as master and one for each person. All unique
Ask for 7 am hour battery " yuasa" is good and may last ten years. If you can afford it, go cellular back up to regular land line. Not a big fan of internet line
You can get cell enabled game cameras for those hard to wire locations$$$
www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Metal detecting vehicle alerts are an excellent device for long driveways. Don’t get tripped by critters, just cars, atv,s
They do trip during lighting strikes so you want to install a cut off switch near the sounder in the home. Bury the cable in conduit and run a pull string so you can run other stuff movin* forward. The two footvwan$ should be buried in or near the center of your lane way entrance

Www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network