May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

protecting your home

32 Posts
18 Users
0 Reactions
(@hammer)
Estimable Member

I have considered a system similar to that used on "I Am Legend". A sliding bookshelf of some sort.

H

Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best

ReplyQuote
(@32ndprep)

Plywood crossed with 2x4s pre cut and ready to go. Have a cordless drill for mounting on charge. I also thought of adding a thin ply of sheet metal. Hurrican wrap is a good ides too but it is $500 per roll! Instead of drilling into the wall or frame you could pre mount angle iron to drop the whole thing into that can be quickly removed in case someone trys to burn you out?!

32nd.

ReplyQuote
Chimo
(@chimo)
Trusted Member

Every one should have 500 sandbags and a big sandbox on hand..there is a reason why every army in the world use them..easy cheap and flexible.. stack with gun slits...

Chimo...
When All else fails--BIP--

ReplyQuote
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

There is one sign that I made for my friend, it said, "if you can hear the dogs, then you should be able to see the RED DOT". 😈

"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

There is one sign that I made for my friend, it said, "if you can hear the dogs, then you should be able to see the RED DOT". 😈

😆 😆 😆

ReplyQuote
(@blueflash)
Trusted Member

As mentioned, the hurricane film is a great way to prevent windows from being broken as easy. 3M makes a few different thickness of security film that stops windows from being smashed. Unless you spend big bucks, you cannot make windows bullet proof, but even the thin window film designed for hurricane proofing a home is very effective to prevent a intruder to quickly smash a window. Even if a filmed window can eventually be smashed, it would take multiple hard, loud swings of a baseball bat. If someone was hacking away at a window that is protected by security film, that intruder would quickly be noticed and neutralized. Even if you were vulnerable sleeping, 4 or 5 loud swings of a bat hitting a window with security film would wake you up and likely keep the intruder outside still banging away.
I think window security bars are a good option, if they can be installed on the inside and can be rigged up to open quickly in a emergencey, by hinging them and having them locked shut. Putting a combonation lock on it or a keyed padlock, with a key within 10 feet that is hidden. There are also "trick" ways to unlock something like that, by giving a illusion that its lockesd, by having a few loose fitting big nails that appear to be tightly hammered down, but actually are loose fitting nails that can be quickly popped up by a pair of fingers in seconds.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

just an fyi... I know this goes against the prepper mentality, but if you are going to reinforce your windows with a smash-proof film, please make a trip down to your local Fire department! let them know that you have security windows so that in the event of an emergency such as a fire, they will know that they will have to try another method of ventalating your home to extinguish the fire. This could mean life or death for you and your family if you are in need of rescue.

Of course, these records are confidential. Dont file anything with the city, just let them know in person. They will tell the other crews in the hall, and it will stay at that. Just an un-official headsup for those that will still try to save your life pre-shtf. And also, you can count them as people who will NOT try to get into your house if they turn into marauders during shtf, as they will know your home is a tough nut to crack!

Also, in regards to security bars, make sure that they open from the inside, and that you and anyone living in the home KNOW how to operate them. youd be suprised at what you will forget when you actually need to use a window to escape. I would recommend investing in a "glass master tool" to keep in your home so that you can get through the protected window film in case of an emergency. http://www.glasmaster.com/

food for thought

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@profamilia)

Heavy window shutters made of wood or steel, do not look like a fortification but they will work the same as bars if they are anchored and locked properly. Suck as a steel bar to lock them and steel framed. The film for glass is a great idea but it would only slow someone down. I like the film idea myself. But I wont rely on it.

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

They just installed our rolling metal shutters last week... they actually look really good against the siding when they're down. We were worried that they would stand out because they were ugly but we are pleasantly surprised!

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

They just installed our rolling metal shutters last week... they actually look really good against the siding when they're down. We were worried that they would stand out because they were ugly but we are pleasantly surprised!

Can you tell me what manufacturer you used and the model? Do they have a website? If they are secure, but also architecturally pleasing this is an attractive option for me!

We have been looking into window film, and there are several names out there. They can take stop a bat or crow bar, and even have uv protection to save your furniture inside with the windows open all day. 🙂 Tinting, energy saving..... I guess it comes down to cost....

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

A buddy just shared this website with me lol...

http://www.readytodefend.com/

It will provide you with some useful passive deterrence perhaps? 😮

I like some of the window stickers and Un-Welcome Mats they have. I just may have order some of these 😀

Putting this stuff up around my house would seem rather fitting and not really surprise anyone as most of my neighbors have seen me come flying out of the house with a baseball bat on more then one occassion. they all think I'm nuts 🙂

Thanks for the link 🙂

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@underprepared)
Estimable Member

I've seen a lot of the different signs on-line and really like them. Some are funny and get the idea across. The problem I personally have with using them is that for me they may actually elicit the exact opposite response I'm going for. For instance:
Let's say that there is a row of lockers in a hallway. All of them look the same, except one. That one has a sign on it saying "keep out".
Now, which locker do I really want to get in? You guessed it... The one with the sign.
Based on the above example of basic human nature, I'm planning to use deterrents that will blend into the landscape, and adapt those things as necessary.
So, if I'm faced with a pandemic, I want bio-hazard (or something similar) signs. If I see front doors getting an "X" , then I want to put one on my door as well.
Dog sh*t and dirty diapers to provide ambiance as people get closer. Whatever I can find to make my area look unappealing.
Sometimes I even gross myself out thinking about what I'd do to make my front yard look like it's already been picked over. Trash, trash trash...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You could get creative with the code. Keep in mind these codes are used by emergency personnel and be used to save your life so be careful in considering their use.

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

Can you tell me what manufacturer you used and the model? Do they have a website? If they are secure, but also architecturally pleasing this is an attractive option for me!

We have been looking into window film, and there are several names out there. They can take stop a bat or crow bar, and even have uv protection to save your furniture inside with the windows open all day. 🙂 Tinting, energy saving..... I guess it comes down to cost....

I don't know if I'll get this image thing to work for me. Always says I'm using too much memory...
The shutters were installed by SIS and are the brand, "Talius" http://www.talius.com/photo/zenphoto/talius-rollshutters-cabana-security/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ok it might be overkill but what about a few of these?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network