May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Stevens shotguns

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Prepperlight
(@prepperlight)
Topic starter  

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of how well the 320 or 350 pump action shoots and performs?

(@shadow12)

I've had to chance to handle most of the Stevens line (owned by Savage but manufactured in China). I personally didn't like the action, as it felt loose and shaky, the sights weren't all that great either. For a few bucks more you could go to the Mossberg line. I have a couple including the famous 500, and I love it in terms of function, and operation. Also the 500 has a hugh number of aftermarket parts. Its all preference though. To simply answer the question, a Stevens shotgun would probably do the job for home defense, but if I personally was trusting my life to it, I would go Mossberg.

ReplyQuote
Prepperlight
(@prepperlight)
Topic starter  

Thanks Shadow. You're the second person to suggest this to me.

ReplyQuote
(@twenty3rdpsalm)
Trusted Member

Have a look at the Maverick 88 line if you on a tight budget /// They are Mossberg made & have only a few minor differences (safety location being one) /// Most all of the after market parts as well as Mossberg factory parts are interchangeable between Mossberg & Maverick (the notable exception being forends) /// I have the one in the link & then purchased a full length Mossberg barrel as well

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3820/maverick-88-security-3-12-gauge-pump-shotgun

Keep Safe / 23rd

ReplyQuote
Prepperlight
(@prepperlight)
Topic starter  

23, thanks for the advice. It has great reviews on the site linked and on YouTube. I will definitely be checking this one out.

ReplyQuote
(@shadow12)

Have to agree with >Twenty3rdPsalm> the Maverick 88 is perfect if you just want the short barrel. The combo from Cabelas will give you both a long and short barrel... the only thing I did not care for in the Mavrick was the forearm... but thats personal preferance. I use the Mossberg 500 short barrel at work ... tough gun.

ReplyQuote
Prepperlight
(@prepperlight)
Topic starter  

This may be a silly newbie question, but what is the benefit to having the long and the short barrels?

ReplyQuote
(@twenty3rdpsalm)
Trusted Member

This may be a silly newbie question, but what is the benefit to having the long and the short barrels?

Short barrel has no choke (a tapering at the end of the barrel to aid in keeping the pellets in a tight group) - this is known as a "cylinder bore - or CB" which also can be used with smooth bore slugs & buckshot - a shorter barrel length (mine is 18.5") also equates to better maneuverability /// Longer barrel length will have a choke like "improved cylinder - or IC" which can be used for hunting birds (my spare is a 28" IC) /// long & short, if you plan on using your shotgun for hunting & defensive purposes , then you'll need both barrels /// it should also be noted that you can buy a rifled slug barrel as well for improved accuracy when using slugs

Hope this helps

Keep Safe / 23rd

ReplyQuote
(@shadow12)

Now we are getting into an area I am very framiliar with. In the smooth bore (shorter barrel in this case) you would use buck or RIFLED slugs but NEVER sabot slugs (these have a case around the slug which is used in only a rifiled slug barrel). You can put a rifiled slug and buck out a long IC barrel but only if it does not have a removable choke.

ReplyQuote
Prepperlight
(@prepperlight)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I have to say the information on here is fantastic

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

Now we are getting into an area I am very framiliar with. In the smooth bore (shorter barrel in this case) you would use buck or RIFLED slugs but NEVER sabot slugs (these have a case around the slug which is used in only a rifiled slug barrel). You can put a rifiled slug and buck out a long IC barrel but only if it does not have a removable choke.

Why wouldn't you use the sabot slug in a smooth barrel? I have chopped down a few trees with them using a maverick 88. Have I been lucky and avoided an exploding barrel?!?! Thanks in advance for any info!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network