May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Food storage advise for Canada

28 Posts
9 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Love the Ancient Grains like Ezekial Bread and Grains, Ameranth, Quinoa, Cous Cous - love Cous Cous,, did I mention Love it.

ReplyQuote
(@forward)
Trusted Member

If you think your hand has been slapped, be Adult about it and don't threaten to leave or See Ya or etc etc.

Oh don't worry Wilderness Return. When i said "good luck and I wish you the Best to anita and denob I meant it. It wasn't some back ass way of saying I'm outa here!"Nah, I realize I too have a lot to learn about this prepping business. I admit I tend to react too impulsively when I think somebody is pissing on my grass. I have to work on that. My communication skills suck.

Although, I didn't much care for the comment about "panicking" nor the insinuation that I had not researched.

We looked at all the things involved in prepping. It's more than just guns. It's more than just food. If we focussed too closely on one feature then we would run the risk of ignoring another.

You would have to be a multi-millioniare to put in a full prep plan in any reasonable length of time and cover all bases - AND - prep for an assortment of different scenarios.

We looked at what we were doing: Do we prep for an apocalyptic/extinction level event OR do we prep for a period of severe economic recession? Do we prep for a pandemic or a solar flare; for cliamte change or civil unrest? We can't forsee what we will have to deal with so we tried to plot the BEST general purpose preps we could without bankrupting ourselves.

Also, there was the question: How much are we going to allow prepping to affect our daily lives? We had to strike a balance between ALL of these considerations and more.

I think we have managed to weave our way through this confusing maze reasonably well.

If others find other ways to do it - terrific! That's wonderful. Post your plan out on the board.

I realize many people have valid criticisms of our plans. OK fine. I will listen.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Prepping for just about anyone means something differerent and something personal. It may mean something else to someone else. It is your plan. I can no more critize your plan than you can mine. If it works for you OR it works for me that is great. The main thing is that you have a plan! You have a plan..... stick to it! We look, we listen, we contemplate and somestimes we tweak our plans. Nice to hear all viewpoints exercise here.

ReplyQuote
(@forward)
Trusted Member

Thanks IRCC.

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

I think this is a great lesson in not jumping to conclusions. I've been otherwise engaged today so I haven't had much time to respond and I wanted to think about it a bit first. First off "forward" I meant no disrespect nor was I speaking directly to you - I was in fact speaking to the OP'er and cautioning him not to make decisions in a hurry.

My other concern was that someone might read your post and think - OH good - I purchase the Mormom Four and I'm all set - I simply can't agree based on basic nutrition but I think we've ascertained that that no one would have ONLY those four items.. .

You have mentioned several times that prepping anything else would cost tens of thousands of dollars. Prepping is expensive - I can't afford to buy everything freeze dried and packed for me - that's why I suggested learning to pack your own food - meaning in mylar bags with 02 absorbers because it will save a lot of money in the long run. I believe in the pack it away for 30 years idea but you need to be eating the items you've packed so your body can become accustomed to it and you be accustomed to cooking it.

Please forgive me for upsetting you and I'm glad you're planning to stick around.

(`'β€’.ΒΈ(`'β€’.ΒΈ ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄) ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄)
*´¨`β€’.ΒΈΒΈAnita <>< *.‒´¸¸¨`*
(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄ `'β€’.ΒΈ)`' β€’.ΒΈ)
ΒΈ.β€’Β΄
( `β€’.ΒΈ
`β€’.ΒΈ )
ΒΈ.β€’)Β΄
(.β€’Β΄

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@forward)
Trusted Member

That's cool

thanks for the post anita. We are learning about home canning and preserving and are slowly building the supply of equipment required: Canner pots, pressure cookers, jars recipe books ect ect ect. There is a really steep learning curve and when it comes to home preserving I'm afraid I'm at the bottom of that curve.

I guess I'm done posting for the night. I'm supposed to be watching a Pokemon movie with my daughtewr and I keep hearing "Daddy are you watching!?"

So I guess I'd better pay attention.

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

Ha - important things first!! POKEMON!

You'll catch on about canning - it's not nearly as difficult or scary as most people think. Glad we could work it out! πŸ™‚

(`'β€’.ΒΈ(`'β€’.ΒΈ ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄) ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄)
*´¨`β€’.ΒΈΒΈAnita <>< *.‒´¸¸¨`*
(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄(ΒΈ.β€’'Β΄ `'β€’.ΒΈ)`' β€’.ΒΈ)
ΒΈ.β€’Β΄
( `β€’.ΒΈ
`β€’.ΒΈ )
ΒΈ.β€’)Β΄
(.β€’Β΄

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@javert)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

haha, I am panicking a bit I have to admit. Luckily I haven't made any big purchases yet. I will Check out Briden pretty soon I think. Thanks for all the advise guys and gals.

ReplyQuote
(@trapper69)

Mountain House freeze dried foods. has 2 Canadian distributurs. Costco.ca ....( http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category.aspx?cat=22869&eCat=BCCA|20418|22869&lang=en-CA&whse=BCCA&topnav= ) which is limited in their selection, but also have a small selection of dried Veggies and fruits from Thrive as well, and delivery is free. And Safecastle.ca / www.safecastle.com/canadian-mountain-house.aspx, which carries a much larger selection of Mountain House products in #10 cans or pouches. Delivery is also free from safecastle. I have checked the pricing and ahve found that safecastle is generaly cheaper than Birden, sorry but thats what i saw.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

THE LDS has upgraded their book, it now contains more words like Grains instead of just Wheat,
will post the link to Anita's blog so you can go and see her review of the book with some details, then go and download it if you wish too.

http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.ca/2012/07/latest-lds-preparedness-manual-free.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+AdventuresInCountryLiving+(Adventures+in+Country+Living)

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Te new LDS book has lots of great info in it and not just about food storage. I downloaded it and have been reading whenever I get a chance. I am not a Mormon, but let's face it, the LDS church basically invented preparedness. The articles at the beginning of the book are great for explaining why you should prep and have lots of advice about well, everything prepper!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Te new LDS book has lots of great info in it and not just about food storage. I downloaded it and have been reading whenever I get a chance. I am not a Mormon, but let's face it, the LDS church basically invented preparedness. The articles at the beginning of the book are great for explaining why you should prep and have lots of advice about well, everything prepper!

Te? The? Cest la vie. Gotcha! πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Te? The? Cest la vie. Gotcha! πŸ˜‰

😑

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network