May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bee Keepers

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@chilcotin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Are there any bee keepers on these forums? Or anyone with bee keeping knowledge? Bee keeping would seem to be a natural fit for a self sustaining homestead. Honey is natural and has medicinal properties. Finding a sugar substitute as a sweetner would be critical in a long-running disaster scenario. Sugar has to be imported and supplies here would almost disappear overnight.

Anyway I attended a bee keeping seminar 10 days ago conducted by a gentleman from the Okanagan with 50 years experience. He was a walking encyclopedia, and all the more intriguing because of his reverence for bees. I arrived somewhat intimidated by what I had always perceived as the "mystery" of bees. I left hooked. I am getting hives next spring, and would actually get a couple now, but I think I have too much work to get caught up on as it is without starting a new venture.

One hive easily provides a hundred pounds of honey, and tens of pounds of beeswax. The bees pollinate your garden, and harvest from the neighbours as well. It takes about 275.00 to set up a hive which is not bad at all. Honey is an ideal trade item. It costs a fortune in the stores. Wish me luck!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Awesome idea and well thought out. I WILL wish you good luck and success... please keep us posted on your progress.

ReplyQuote
(@aaronbouge)
Estimable Member

When you say 100 pounds of honey, is that in a year?

And I agree fully, honey would be worth a fortune once the sugar stops getting imported. if your prepping has you stocking up on jars of peanut butter, it goes great on sandwiches. Mmm

ReplyQuote
(@gmurphy)
Estimable Member

this beekeepingg idea is going to payoff for you big time!!! considering ill be one of the folks in line to get some honey! Great idea chilcotin.

ReplyQuote
(@chilcotin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Re: Aaron. A hive will produce this amount of honey each season and still leave enough in the hive to get the bees through the winter.

ReplyQuote
(@prepstore)

Has anyone heard of the bee houses they are selling at Home Hardware? Here is the link- I was interested in this for pollination- I don't think they make honey though.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/General-Merchandise/Wild-Bird-Animal-Supplies/Houses/Pre-Built/Mason-Bee-House/_/N-ntlc5Z1r4p8d/R-I5454321

ReplyQuote
(@davinci)
Trusted Member

i have a little bit of experience with keeping bees from when i was a kid. If I can, i will answer some questions about bee keeping that you have

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network