May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Test help wanted for ham radio

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have this neat little setup...
A Pixie II 40 meter QRP transceiver set up to send and receive morse code through a computer.
So far I have used the Reverse Beacon Network to determine that I can get a signal out up to about 1300 km at best and about 750-800 km at worst.
Here is what I'm looking for...
Someone in this range to help test the equipment...Quebec/Ontario.
I will provide all the gear, transceiver/unun/wire antenna/pc interface/all required cables.
I'm looking for someone with HF priveleges (basic with honors or advanced) willing to setup the gear and do some tests.
YOU WILL GET TO KEEP EVERYTHING!!!
All you need to supply is a 12 volt power source(easy peasy for a prepper right?) and a computer (probably using one right now aren't you?) and you will need to download some free and safe software.
To get this running, I will have to order some parts and do some building, so looking at early February as a time frame.
PM me if interested.

RapidSurvival
(@rapidsurvival)
Trusted Member

PM Sent

██ Eric Pinkerton- Owner of Rapid Survival
██ 72 Hour Survival Kits
██ Emergency Preparedness Equipment
██ http://www.rapidsurvival.com

ReplyQuote
(@coalie)

Hi! Interesting project. I am too far away to help. But I am curios. How many watts output do you need for this range?
Under good DX conditions it should be possible to communicate worldwide...
Regards, Coalie.

The loser says it is possible but hard. The winner says it is hard but possible. Be a winner!

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

THe readio used was very low wattage, we're talking under a watt. A few tests were done but no direct contact was made. Does that mean it was a failure? No, of course not. Most likely we were in each others' skip zones. We will be trying again sometime with a slightly more powerful radio (something in the range of a few watts) and perhaps trying an NVIS antenna.

ReplyQuote
(@coalie)

Hi! You need more wattage to enter deeper into the skip zone. How much is allowed there in Can?
Here in Europe it is 4 Watts, and if you use SSB modulation there is 12 watts allowed. This makes a range around 30 km already.Groundwave.one antenna on the roof, the other on the car.

The loser says it is possible but hard. The winner says it is hard but possible. Be a winner!

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I think you are confusing ham radio with CB. While CB is technically HF radio, the two are very different.
The whole idea of this project is to use minimum power for comms and a very small rig. Pushing more power usually sends the signal out further and has little effect on the skip zone. For this, we need to change the take off angle and direct it more vertically so that it is reflected back down closer to it's origin.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think you are confusing ham radio with CB. While CB is technically HF radio, the two are very different.
The whole idea of this project is to use minimum power for comms and a very small rig. Pushing more power usually sends the signal out further and has little effect on the skip zone. For this, we need to change the take off angle and direct it more vertically so that it is reflected back down closer to it's origin.

Denob, hi sent you a few private messages. let me know. cheers

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network