April 27, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2019-nCoV

137 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
12.6 K Views
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What if anything are other preppers doing in preparation for a possible 2019-nCoV outbreak here ?
Do you have a plan?
Do you have pandemic supplies?
Are you overly concerned, or just keeping an eye on it?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Same stuff I had for sars. Lots of gloves, n95 masks....

However, with age, new heart issue, lungs are in worse shape then back then so will be locking things down pretty tight if it does become an issue. Told wife, forget going to work.

Touchy issue will be kids and grandkids

Idiots are still scanning for people with fevers and blood pouring from eyes. Person could be infected in cab on the way to airport eight hours before landing and show zero signs when some half trained person looks at their thermal camera image. Nice thing to do but best and only logical option is to shut all borders down to anyone having visited China or any other trouble nation. Bet you they didn’t quarantine the entire plane when they snagged the person in Los Angeles! Why not, haul one person out of the line you are concerned about but others just go out and sneeze in cab, bus, at work, grocery store........ idiotic response

Hell of a measure to lock down borders but no option if truly serious.

Nope, like most things, the horse will be out of the barn before people close the doors.

Rub all the rabbit feet you can get and ramp up preps.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Right there with ya Clarence.
We work on a system similar to the old defcon system. We have a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being full blown SHTF and 5 being nothing to worry about.
At this time we are at a 4...keeping an eye on the situation, reviewing SOPs, checking and topping off certain preps, and discussing plans between myself and fiancee.
If we have a transmitted case within a 50 km radius, we will shelter in place.
Fiancee and I can and will work from home, and the kiddos will stay home from school while we get assignments from the school (as much as they will provide)
Leaving home will be done only if absolutely necessary by one adult, with protective measures.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I mentioned gloves etc, but obviously cleaning supplies, garbage bags to put street cloths in for washing, wipes or cloths to use when wiping things down are all needed.

When coming back to the house, if possible, I would recommend a room outside of home to get undressed in. Then ideally redress in another area! Pain in the tush but when you think of stuff that’s dirty, you want to keep the odds down of cross contamination.

Put cloths in bag, seal and wash properly or just put aside. After a plane trip, I like to spray my shoes with Lysol and leave outdoors For a few days. Pretty gross when you think what your shoes step on in an airport washroom 😳

Just like scratching your nose, touching your eyes... it’s not easy to break old habits or get undressed in a safe manner. Many professionals don’t take off and dispose of their gloves properly, so it will be hard for us to do as well. They tend to peel one off but then don’t remove the second one right, same for mask. To help avoid germs hitting your eyes or the old habit of touching them, wear goggles or even sun glasses, tactical wrap around being better then just flat ones, but wear something to keep stuff and fingers away.

If one can, try and get some training from a good medical person and pay attention to the mistakes we will make. If you can’t, just practice with yourself or others and watch the mistakes that one will make and then repeat until old habits are broken.

We are likely familiar with people looking for a place to come and share ones preps, well this ads a new dynamic to the event! Getting them to practice stood hygiene could be fun

I have a hunch, a virus type situation could be real tough to work with. What’s the plan if a child is sick? In a bad situation, the hospitals will be a nightmare and one will need to confront the issue of who goes with the child to hospital and is it worth it? Some will say, Well of course it’s worth it, but is it? What a bloody decision to make! If your child simply has a cold, you will likely be sure to put them at higher risk, then there is the person who is healthy, will you be able to be there for days before seen and will you or them catch it.

Horrible thoughts and I am not recommending one thing over another. I just pray I never have to face this decision. Severity, local resources, gut hunch.... all come into play

Suffice lots to ponder and try and prepare for. One last thing, don’t forget to max out your personal medical requirements. Pharmacy is one spot to avoid when people are sick!

If anyone comes across good mask .....useage videos, it would be good to see them. Masks need to be properly fitted to your face for them to be effective, nice and tight around nose, mouth and all skin

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Well, as there’s not treatment and the mortality rate is a total unknown(I don’t trust the reported 3%), there is little we can do with any certainty. Our basic preps are all covered, just restocked Tylenol and Advil for the kids, we have our meds.

Yes cleaning supplies,
Yes stay home if there are local cases.
Yes on personal hygiene
Be ready to bunk in place but the experts are saying 18 months for this to run its course. So if it has a similar presentation to its microbial family, we’ll just keep on keeping on... just with more hand sanitizer for the family.

As a service tech, I get exposed to everything out there, medical facilities, feces, food processing plants, homes, offices, plumbing, hvac... etc. With the excepts of waste management facilities I only wash when I get home. I am very very rarely sick. Do what you can to boost your immune system now.

So far the youngest claimed death was 32, so unless things change on that side, I assume it’s like h1n1 and the rest of them, primarily dangerous to the older demographics and the immunosuppressed.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

One of my neighbours is actually an expert in the field, he was one of the lead researchers on the Ebola cure. I’ll be talking to him this week.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I find it both pathetic and sad that China, a country known for its openness 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆
Is claiming these low number. Total BS and world health type groups are all suckling from gov teats and will never be open about what is going on. So lie upon lie upon lie or only happy news.

Don’t envy a service tech job, increased opportunity to exposure, bulky clothing, being hot and tendency to remove mask, scratch a nose....

It will take a serious effort to prevent those millisecond movements we make hundreds to thousands of times a day.

By the end of this week or next is when we will or will not see increased cases in non China nations. People WILL escape from their quarantines and seek safety or treatment in other nations. If you think the wealthy are going to stay put your dreaming. You will note that the cases we have appear to be people from China who were allowed to come in by plane!!! This is exactly what I have always said about our stupidity. Shut off ALL access From Asia.or anyone having a been there in one or two weeks.

Deal with the source of problem first and you at least help cut down on secondary exposure. Yep, next two weeks should be informative. Buy what you can in masks, gloves........now because they will fly off the shelves fast

If one doesn’t know, check if you are allergic to latex gloves before buying a thousand 😯

One thing we purchased back in sars days was adult diapers. We figured if a person is bedridden, this would help with comfort or shame as well as laundry. Anything to help lessen the strain on both patient and caregiver is a help. Don’t forget toothpaste

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

I think the biggest thing is information. Real time as close as possible. So news feeds, WHO, even local health networks. And if the time comes, then we respond as the matter requires. It doesnt look like its an issue in Ontario with only two cases and both are in isolation. However, people travel....never know whats around the corner. But really knowledge from authorities is paramount.

After that, it was going back to existing supplies and making sure everything was in good shape, and readily available. Boxes of masks, gloves, face masks, coveralls and a variety of PPE (overkill but still good to have), better filters for the furnace, and lots of personal hygiene supplies such as soap, hand sanitizer, etc. I dont think its time to limit public outings such as to restaurants or the mall, etc....no reason to be over reactionary....but if the time comes...that will have to happen.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Top doc fears more coronavirus cases on horizon:
https://torontosun.com/news/national/viral-terror-top-doc-fears-more-coronavirus-cases-on-horizon

CORONAVIRUS FACTSHEET: What you need to know
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/coronavirus-factsheet-what-you-need-to-know

With genetic code in hand, scientists begin work on Wuhan virus vaccine
https://torontosun.com/news/world/with-genetic-code-in-hand-scientists-begin-work-on-wuhan-virus-vaccine/wcm/c482cb63-db79-49b4-9e66-26b1447e5253

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think the biggest thing is information. Real time as close as possible. So news feeds, WHO, even local health networks. And if the time comes, then we respond as the matter requires. It doesnt look like its an issue in Ontario with only two cases and both are in isolation. However, people travel....never know whats around the corner. But really knowledge from authorities is paramount.

After that, it was going back to existing supplies and making sure everything was in good shape, and readily available. Boxes of masks, gloves, face masks, coveralls and a variety of PPE (overkill but still good to have), better filters for the furnace, and lots of personal hygiene supplies such as soap, hand sanitizer, etc. I dont think its time to limit public outings such as to restaurants or the mall, etc....no reason to be over reactionary....but if the time comes...that will have to happen.

Crown, information is king! I lived and survived by intel. From janitor to...taught to take my sources, “warts and all” thieves, the red neck, the commie, liberal, conservative, independent gay vegan or meat eating book expert, hells angel, church minister, Rabih, Jew hater, parking attendants, clerks, VP.s guards, business people, diplomats,.......all good. Simply step back and try and read the invisible, the gut hunch, experience...

Survival for today and hopefully tomorrow, if you can help someone along the way, perfect, it’s an even better day.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Went to pharmacy to pickup Tylenol but no purel or masks left,

daughter tried ordering masks on line and one place said yes but then contacted her to say, nope your order has been canceled , all supplies are going to medical type establishments.
Home Depot all out of even paint masks, they tried smaller outlets in other surrounding towns of ottawa and all gone as well. Feedback from some sales people was that Asians are buying a lot and supposedly sending back to homeland!

Hardly surprising and once word gets out, there will be some ticked people

Purell and Clorox wipe shelf seemed a bit thin at Walmart

Read that CDC offered help to China but it was refused. If true, I wonder why? Surely the Chinese, a nation we trade with and who we are still allowing their citizens to fly here, would welcome help. I am sure it has nothing to do with obtaining the true numbers, must be a visa issue 😆 😆 😆 😆

Yeppers, always revealing to see response on offer to help. Yet one could ask, who’s the dumb one in the room, them or us for belie them in first place.

Apparently WHO rep was all gushy and praising China on their response efforts. Confident he won’t be forgotten at Christmas !

N95 masks ( if you can get them) come in different sizes and even those need to be fitted to your nose properly. Putting them on and off is crucial for success and I highly recommend people get professional advice on best methods. Surgical masks are apparently of no use against this type of virus. Would I wear if nothing else? I would, but as last resort.

Again, if you can get them, gloves need to be removed in certain way to stop contamination.

Went out today and boy is washing of hands, sliming with purell a fun experience. Oops, touched the face, touch bag after washing hands, got to wash again....everyone who is not used to this lifestyle, really needs to pay attention. Old habits we never paid attention to, can be a real SOB to break or adjust to.

IFFFFFFF, things do get weird and you can, go stock up with as much as you can. Not only from being able to get stuff but it’s also the best way to reduce making mistakes with hand... washing. Just simple reducing the odds of touching your face...

Remember to get goggles or wear the best tactical type glasses you can.

Not saying this is adequate.... but wondering if, one can’t get Purcell, one could use rubbing alcohol as an alternative, or a bleach and water mix that you put in a tiny pocket spray bottle. Something to spray on hands, cart handle, driving wheel, keys, eye glasses.... again, making no recommendations here. Something to look at along with other make shift alternatives. Your call.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Alcohol including hand sanitizer needs to be 90%+ to be effective(so I was told by a dr I know).
N95’s or higher are non existant. I contacted two suppliers I deal with and they were bought out by “Chinese Canadians” as the manager told me. They were waiting for the warehouse to open this morning, walked away with everything in stock.

Disinfectant bleach? NOT the laundry stuff.
I’ll be visiting the ZEP warehouse tomorrow to see if my customer has any institutional grade cleaners/ sterilization suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nagol, interesting your contact said the same thing about Chinese buying up stock.
My wife looked at Amazon.ca. MID MARCH is next available lot for N95 masks from a plant in the US.

Just watched CBC. When I speak of Canada being ill prepared, here’s an example.
US, France Germany, France. Are All sending planes to China to evacuate their citizens. Just watched our federal clowns Babel about we are looking at our options, looking at what our partners are doing. Blah blah. Your looking? Just looking, did no one on the hill say hey Claude, what’s in the response plan for an outbreak in a foreign country? Oh we don’t have one. Well let’s send a military jet over, oh broken again? We are checking with expedia..... glazed expressions around the boardroom table. Well who’s budget is it coming out of, is staff bilingual, right mix of non binary folks, maybe we need to strike a committee, write up protocols and then tender it out....

I commented the other day on medevac planes. They exist, corporations use them to extract their people from countries all the time. We probably are too cheap to have any but You could get you one from the US!

What a pathetic response. Your looking at options ? You moron, send a plane, that’s what other countries are doing! Twit! What options are they thinking besides a military plane, one of our diesel subs? Maybe strap some canoes together.

Seriously pathetic, but what this tells me and once more is confirmation of my opinion on our capabilities when it comes to emergencies. Should it be bad, We are screwed and on our own.

Now pause and think about the following. These jokers can’t figure out what to do for a simple plane flight. NOW imagine how dopey their answer would be if a journalist had the brains and courage to ask, wait for it

What would they do with them when they land back in canada!!.,. Where would they be put until one is sure they are in good health? Seriously, these things need to be in place all the time. Not complicated at all if one uses their brains. It’s called a mobile hospital, manned by military, a hotel can be used. What about mobile “Atco” mobile type trailers that can be setup into a village in days! I lived in them for years up north. So many easy ways to house people who need to be isolated and we should have these ready and on standby for any type of hospital over flow situation. We suffer a large explosion and hundreds or thousands need burn care surgeries....been a few days now since 911, surely we have a location and means to treat a large emergency RIGHT away???? If we can set up Syrian refugees in hotels do we not have the brains to rent an entire hotel and have the military manages things? Of course we could. That is, if we had any plans!!!

But Hey canada, don’t worry, we can’t figure out how to get a plane in the air but we have other far more complex issues all in hand! Trust us, just look at how we speak slowly and stare at the screen with a sincere expression . wash your hands and don’t worry.

Buy hey, maybe I am wrong and booking or sending a military plane really is complicated a few months into a situation we would have been aware of. Let’s assume our Canadian reps missed the people falling over in the streets or maybe they thought it was a circle de soleil event, or those people in white space suits jumping out of ambulances in November, December were just normal surely they noticed like us peasants did a few weeks ago and asked the question about extradition options!

Just wash your hands, we got it under control, no really, really, pinky swear we do!

Hello Expedia, can you get us a good deal on an old 737 from the seventies.... oh hang on a second, let’s see if the one we used during election is still around. Pollutes a great deal but beggars can’t be choosers!

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Our political leaders are a world wide joke. No surprise there.
With any luck, this will start to die down. It seems to have hit a plateau today.... but if it follows other coronavirus’s pattern, this is just a pause between cycles.
Time will tell but it’s my hope that with all the media hype and fast responses from foreign powers, that we have managed to reduce the potential of this strain.
15 or so days will tell us.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 10
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network