April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Milk Powder

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I noticed this maybe 18 months or so back. I didn't understand why the stores seemed to run out of stock all the time until I stumbled across this video explaining why. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQm5FZMforg

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Hi peppercorn.. We have had a lot of surprise things out of stock in our local stores. Can't says its milk or chocolate that I have ever noticed.. however the price of powdered milk is crazy and its very hard now to find whole powdered milk, only 2 percent or skim.. two out of three stores have stopped stocking the whole, I have only one that still gets it in and the cost is very high.

Anyone else notice that in the sale section of the stores now, that 80 plus percent of the sale items are no longer food but household items.. you can find high end toilet paper on sale more now then you can basic's like rice, beans, flour, sugar or canned veggies etc.

Its the one big downfall to having a good pantry, it used to be that you could wait for sales to restock but in the past couple years.. some things that used to be in the sale cycle.. are no longer and when you need to restock them.. ouch!

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Its always the large bags out of stock. 2.5kg bags of skim is what I like to buy,I have not seen powdered whole milk at all. suspect its all going to China as the video suggests. From memory the 2.5 kg skim is 22-23 dollars a bag, don't know how that compares with Ont, though we don't have provincial sales tax here. Yes I noticed the lack of real good sales.
Was at the lumber yard, noticed 100% prices increase on 7/16ths osb board since I last bought it in 2015.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Wow, surprised that you don't see whole milk powder in your area, Bulk barn sells it and I expect you would find it there even in Alberta, but yes for the same size bag, around 30 to 33 a bag for the whole.

I hear you about the lumber.. I have seen a 30 to 50 percent increase locally on certain products in the past year.. the cost of a 2 by 4 right now is crazy! and that's for the basic pine ones.. he said its a combo thing between the lower Canadian dollar and what is going on with the states.. I looked at him and said, its says its Canadian cut wood.. So harvested here, processed here, stamped here and delivered to a Canadian store..

So tell me again how the states should have a effect on this?

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

On a side note, when I lived in Iqaluit, I could get a whole milk powder from Quebec that was the best I have ever found, it came in a box with a liner in it.. instead of in our plastic bags I find down here.. It was outstanding and the best flavour.. I would buy them out for a case of it if I ever found that, let me tell ya.

Never found it in a store (even with me looking) but I have had a friend send me it from the north, along with char lol..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wow, surprised that you don't see whole milk powder in your area, Bulk barn sells it and I expect you would find it there even in Alberta, but yes for the same size bag, around 30 to 33 a bag for the whole.

my mistake, yep Bulk barn has it for sure seen it there with the skim...bulk barn didn't come to mind because powdered milk is the one thing I have never seen on a deep enough sale price to consider buying it there.
Superstore is where I by the skim, I only have seen skim there, large and small bags.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

On a side note, when I lived in Iqaluit, I could get a whole milk powder from Quebec that was the best I have ever found, it came in a box with a liner in it.. instead of in our plastic bags I find down here.. It was outstanding and the best flavour.. I would buy them out for a case of it if I ever found that, let me tell ya.

Never found it in a store (even with me looking) but I have had a friend send me it from the north, along with char lol..

Farmgal, check the manufacturer label and track them down. Company name must be there and from there it’s just time. If it’s a numbered company just go to gov business registration site to track down who the registered owners are. It may only be a gov contract type provider but from sounds of it, worth while. Good luck

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Was at two Wallymarts and checked for powdered milk...No whole milk, just skim and only small bags. Stopped at Superstore as well...only seen small bags of skim...But at wallymart the cooked small chicken was 15.00 dollars, I was sure it was only 8 dollars just a week or so ago!

ReplyQuote
(@kootenay-kid)
Reputable Member

Peppercorn. Are you sure the price of the chicken was for just one? Our Supercenter has them for 2 for 15. No one around here has whole powdered milk. Both small and large of skim, but no whole.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I asked hubby to check the price of chicken and we have gone up to 12 per bird.. Only one of our three stores offers this service now and they have the market on it.. once a week they do lower that price to 8.99. This also have a bigger bird now that is a mear three dollars more per bird. 2 for 15 is not bad at all.

I am a bit amazed that no one has whole milk? Now I am going to have to go look at all the other stores to see if they all only have skim as well.

Was amazed to see that the whole pork section of the one store was bare.. they were waiting for a re-order.. its happening in our area more and more.. on the may long weekend.. I wanted to buy some baby potato's and hubby said, they are all sold out, so I say, ok how about baking.. sold out.. ok.. fine just regular, all sold out.. Could not believe it.. went and asked.. yup.. no potato's in the store..

Went to the second big store and there is a little sign.. no more in back.. a whole town with not a bag of potato's to be found.. shakes head.. and the local potato farm is sold out till end of july and my own won't be ready till then either..

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Peppercorn. Are you sure the price of the chicken was for just one? Our Supercenter has them for 2 for 15.

I cant say I am sure but I looked at the sign pretty close, I will double check when I am next in by asking at the counter. It is posible the price was for two, but the signage sure didnt say so.

ReplyQuote
(@foxglove)
Estimable Member

I've cut out a lot of red meat from our meals except for ground beef, stew meat every 5 or 6 weeks and the occasional roast. The prices are so high compared to pork and chicken. A decent cut of steak isn't going to be on our plates any time soon! The sales flyers are full of pre-made frozen meals, chips & soda, cleaning supplies, health & beauty but not much as far as real food. I mail order 25lb bags of dried beans because I can't find anything local except for 1 or 2 lb bags.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've cut out a lot of red meat from our meals except for ground beef, stew meat every 5 or 6 weeks and the occasional roast. The prices are so high compared to pork and chicken. A decent cut of steak isn't going to be on our plates any time soon! The sales flyers are full of pre-made frozen meals, chips & soda, cleaning supplies, health & beauty but not much as far as real food. I mail order 25lb bags of dried beans because I can't find anything local except for 1 or 2 lb bags.

Yep, prices are getting bad, only buy ground beef, roast, stewing meat and chicken, and all from Costo.Local butcher became to high priced though thats still the only place I can get good soup bones.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I agree, if I was not raising my own meat, honestly I don't know bow much we would be eating, even with all my own on the farm, we still have a number of meals that are meat free. Its not uncommon at least one meal per day is meat free but at least one supper min a week is meat free.

I have to go into the city and go to certian stores to get the large bags of beans, because like you said, only small available, and boy has the cost of beans gone up up UP. while the selection has gone down in my local stores.

This past week, a girlfriend and myself drove to the next biggest town over to get to a larger store and the price difference's while cherry picking to a point was clearly there.. we agreed that we saved 30 to 50 at the other store over the one we normally go to.. those price difference's add up and fast. but we also need to look at gas costs. We agreed we would go together twice a month, share gas costs and see if it makes a difference on our overal food costs.

We will see

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I asked hubby to check the price of chicken and we have gone up to 12 per bird.. Only one of our three stores offers this service now and they have the market on it.. once a week they do lower that price to 8.99. This also have a bigger bird now that is a mear three dollars more per bird. 2 for 15 is not bad at all. ........

Went to the second big store and there is a little sign.. no more in back.. a whole town with not a bag of potato's to be found.. shakes head.. and the local potato farm is sold out till end of july and my own won't be ready till then either..

Wild when you see no potatoes etc. Everything is just in time delivery with zero margins forcwastage. End of day one of mini crisis and anything resembling food will be gone from shelves and depending on the emergency, there won’t be much refilling them!
Fingers crossed that nothing serious ever happens.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network