May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

New in Ottawa

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
 Vay
(@vay)
Topic starter  

Blended family of 6

I've been more focusing on techniques of food preservation for the basic veggies I try to grow up to now, and things like making yogurt and cheese, fur products, skills like carpentry, welding and water filtration...there are so many bylaws that I can't legally do all that much beyond that for now.

I also keep rabbits (bylaw is 5 plus young up to 7 weeks) and breed them. We have more than the limit, but most are in an indoor grow pen until large enough...currently 4 adulta in outdoor hutches and 11 four month olds in my basement.

My husband and I both have hunting/fishing licences and are pretty knowledgeable in trapping as well.

Our kids (My 3 young teens and his 5 year old) think we're ridiculous, but they never complain when we make them eat less commonly desired things like hearts and gizzards, kidneys and liver... tongue...they were all raised to be able to appreciate the more...acquired taste...required for those types of foods, knowing they can and should consume them when necessary.

I do a lot of dehydrating, pickling and canning, though I have a hard time keeping it on the shelves because despite their laughter at my antics, they always crack open a few jars of pickles, pickled green beans and pickled carrots.

I probably still have enough to last 2 months, though.

Eventually our plan is to obtain land... we'd like to move to Newfoundland, but we are more or less waiting as to not uproot the kids. And work. And other excuses. Eventually, though... at least that's what we tell ourselves... realistically we'll likely just end up on city outskirts. 15 more years on my mortgage...

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Welcome to the board, we are about 45 min outside of ottawa and it sounds like we would have lots to chat about if we had coffee 🙂 Look forward to get to know you better.. Got to go get cleaned up and get supper on.. just had the last lamb of the year born, moved into a jug and settled in with a first time momma sheep.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

welcome indeed. yes, it sounds like you would enjoy the freedom of a larger piece of property and outside the stifling rules of Ottawa. cheers

ReplyQuote
 Vay
(@vay)
Topic starter  

Thank you- likewise!

Do you do anything with the wool? I play around with spinning fur...rabbit/cat/dog blend. I do use it to knit stuff...but not for our use...mostly for silly things to keep the pets entertained. I generally buy yarn to make things for us... knit 2 pairs of longhorns for the hubs this winter...he thought it was weird...then he wore them...being a construction worker, he's not laughing anymore and wants more. Dweeb. Lol

I'm looking forward for the opportunity to hunt coyote and practice my tanning... getting bored with rabbit pelts...have a small stack to process in the freezer...I'm just not feeling it lately with spring in the air!

ReplyQuote
(@canuck_prepper)
Trusted Member

Welcome from Northbayish.. Sounds like you are off to a good start

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

We're 6 too about 8 hours north in one of the safest places in a TEOTWAWKI situation. That being said it's great for fishing/ trapping (we have a trapping land on a lake) and hunting now too. We extensively garden too on our 100 acres.

Listen to the podcast I'm a guest on

The island retreat

Channel on youtube on MAGs and my protectors family progress on this site. Between the two you'll know I'm serious about working hard to abvance my family and friends.

I always make the first trip to meet so don't worry about the distance.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I use my wool mainly for use in the garden and some for stuffing but I do not do much with it at this time in regards to yarn etc, I have so many balls of wool in storage that I don't need to add more at this time.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network