May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Portecting family from home invaders

23 Posts
14 Users
0 Reactions
Fenwolf
(@fenwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

At around 4am this morning we had 5 police cars respond to an alarm at one of our friends homes. The alarm was sent 32 mins before the police arrived. A lot of things could have happened to the family in that time. The 3 men that entered the home were armed and tied up the family. They made threats against the kids to control the parents. We spent the better part of the day with our friends helping to get things straight. They will be staying with us while the police do their investigation. All the kids are now scared and we are doing our best to reassure them that they are safe. This has made me look at they way the police handle crimes and how safe we really are. I think it is time that Canadians start taking back some of our rights and start to really protect our families. Because it is becoming obvious that we can not count on the government or the police to do their jobs and protects us. I will be looking at what security we have in place and what I can do to make it better and safer. Also the parents have decided to look at maybe coming together and getting a bigger place so the 2 families can help each other out.

Any suggestions on ways to make our security better would be of help, as now we are not too sure if a security system is enough. I mean 32 mins to respond to an alarm call is a bit freaking nuts.

(@lgsbrooks)
Honorable Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HdRrxXtd4PU this is what we got for our doors ($100), we have roll shutters on the outside of the windows and we having bars put on windows inside /basement...the only option is to burn our home down to get at us.

ReplyQuote
(@oddmott)
Estimable Member

Just be careful with any of the barricade systems. You may remember the TV ad system of the mid-90s... it was a door stopper that slid into a metal sleeve-hole in the floor at the base of your door.

You'd simply slip the barricade into that slot and nobody could break in no matter how hard they tried... well, the product was taken off the market and the company was hit with numerous lawsuits because the product worked too well. Owners actually lost their lives when firefighters and EMTs were unable to enter their homes (fast enough) to save them in an emergency.

Just food for thought.

It's coming... and it's going to hurt!

ReplyQuote
(@bandit86)
Estimable Member

12 gauge shotgun in a safe in the bedroom closet.

What did you expect? We're all thought to trust in the police but how far are they? Lucky they were able to call the police. Burglars (not the cracks monkey variety) often cut the phone lines then you get no 911 help unless you happen to have a cell phone.

Get the kids some martial arts it could make them feel safer

Then join your fellow canadians who already think they should have the right and the means to protect themselves. Make some call to your mp, join an association whatever you decide.

Want to see the future, past or the unknown? Learn to be psychic. Ask me how!
A good time to invest in spf3000 if you live on the NK penninsula.
Oh November 17, how I fear thee...

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

I've yet to hear of an emergency response thats quicker than 30 minutes to an automated alarm system. Actually that is much quicker than expected. Usually its 45-60minutes as monitored systems are not a real person and prioritized as such. Police response to a 911 call is within minutes especially to intrusion where life is at stake.

I think the issue is more with the way police respond to security alarms. Perhaps something to take up with your monitoring system and/or your local police service to see why, and if that can change.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
(@bandit86)
Estimable Member

I've yet to hear of an emergency response thats quicker than 30 minutes to an automated alarm system. Actually that is much quicker than expected. Usually its 45-60minutes as monitored systems are not a real person and prioritized as such. Police response to a 911 call is within minutes especially to intrusion where life is at stake.

I think the issue is more with the way police respond to security alarms. Perhaps something to take up with your monitoring system and/or your local police service to see why, and if that can change.

There are all sorts of false alarms. You can't expect police response to every call like that. I did private patrol for a security company. In a year I didnt get a single real call it was all stupid calls like fax machines setting off motion sensors, couples in too big a rush to turn off systems.
Unless you get some sort of 2 way communication it won't work.

And Then you will have to wait 10-30 minutes for the cops to arrive.

Want to see the future, past or the unknown? Learn to be psychic. Ask me how!
A good time to invest in spf3000 if you live on the NK penninsula.
Oh November 17, how I fear thee...

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member

At around 4am this morning we had 5 police cars respond to an alarm at one of our friends homes. The alarm was sent 32 mins before the police arrived. A lot of things could have happened to the family in that time. The 3 men that entered the home were armed and tied up the family. They made threats against the kids to control the parents.

32 Minutes to respond to an alarm in a private home at 4 in the morning ?!. It does not take a genius to figure out that chances are great that the residents will be home at that time. These calls should be a priority for the police. They are essentially risking the publics safety with a slow response time like that. Who knows how this could have turned out if anything escalated out of control. But three armed criminals breaking into a home and tying up the family makes me wonder what they were after at your friends house and how they knew what he had they wanted ?. I often wonder who has access to the info collected when I buy ammo at Canadian Tire or when I bought a new shotgun at Sail in Burlington this weekend ?. Any employee can copy that info and pass it on to criminals to plan and target specific houses with specific things in mind.

I am happy to hear that you are helping out Fenwolf. I got that impression of you and its good to hear I was right :). Now in terms of advice I am no expert but I would use: bars in windows leading to basement, break in bar on front and back door (if you are regularly checking your smoke detectors you don't have to worry about fire department breaking down your doors etc.) and motion detected flood lights on the outside of the house and any detached garage etc. I know this is by no means a complete list of what you can do but this is easily done and relatively cheap to do. I would also look into a professional Alarm System through a Security company (I have no idea about their services or cost) to find out how they can help secure your home and family.

A gun safe in your bedroom closet with a shotgun and ammo would be legal according to the Gun Law and storage regulations. I am not sure that its something you can advocate in a public forum despite whatever your personal feelings are about this. But the option is there to do so legally :). Self defense is almost a dirty word here in Canada it seems the label "victim" is so much more accepted in peoples minds.

Btw did they catch the 3 criminals ?.

ReplyQuote
Fenwolf
(@fenwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

They have not been caught yet as their faces were covered with hunting masks. We are going to start doing some security upgrades to their home over march break and I am also going to program their security system to ring my Cell with an alert if it goes off again. I am going through my Gun safety course books with my friend and his wife as well and they are both going to take the course with my wife. She now fells she should know how to use the guns as well. And after our wedding on march 22 I am going to be buying some more gear for home and a few new toys ( looking at a nice SW 40 cal)

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member

Hey man, sorry to hear about the break in. Just curious, what area(North South East West) of what city did this take place in? Was this Hamilton? It's good to know where these types of things happen...

ReplyQuote
Fenwolf
(@fenwolf)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hamilton East End

ReplyQuote
(@whitebear)
Eminent Member

The joke of the inet about cops are busy until you shoot someone might work before you get a 12 gauge. Just tell 911 that someone has broken in and you shot them. I am not kidding.

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member

The joke of the inet about cops are busy until you shoot someone might work before you get a 12 gauge. Just tell 911 that someone has broken in and you shot them. I am not kidding.

LOL this was a very funny read until I realised that you might actually be right and have added a great advice to this.

ReplyQuote
(@justin-k)
Trusted Member

Man calls 911 and says someone is breaking into my garage, dispatcher says just stay in the house we will send someone , it will be about 20 mins we are very busy. Man hangs up

Man calls 911 again and says there is no rush now I just shot him... Police arrive in under 2 minutes

ReplyQuote
(@whitebear)
Eminent Member

Thatms the story/joke!!!!! The finish of the story that I read was police are upset noone is shot and confront the homeoener - "I thought you said someone was shot?" Homeowner replies "I was told you were too busy!"
Funny when you read it but something I think is unfortunately true. Castle laws can be tricky but in essence I do believe yhat if someone has broken/forced their was into your house or is in the process you should be able to defend yorself and family. Unfortunately I believe thst a vast majority have the mistaken belief that the police will promptly arrive and take care of things. So there is no need for homeowners to take steps tp protect themselves. Very wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@frostfucious)
Eminent Member

not sure if you'd get arrested for it, but chloroform is pretty easy to make at home and there are a couple thousand videos on how to make smoke bombs on youtube - just saying a chloroform popper would deal with intruders pretty quick in a pinch, you would just want to have masks in your bedroom with you

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network