May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What have you added to your preps this week?

1,377 Posts
161 Users
0 Likes
190.1 K Views
Grouchyprepper
(@grouchyprepper)
Estimable Member

I rarely have a chance to show what I can make with steel outside the Prepper community.
So I will post this link to my home made genny.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm3/groucho17/

This link to the vid of the work that I did on the bus/rv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6FsU0xQ50

Turkey point July long weekend...vid sucks but you can see some of the steel
work/welding that was all done with a Canadian tire 120 volt mig welder

moved exhaust system
made Ham radio antenna extension on mirror
made steel supports for 3 tables inside
overhead luggage wrack
modified ladder to make side stairs to fit bus
modified outside portable water heater/shower stand (was an old dolly)
Built cargo carrier on rear bumper

The little welders are useful....Running mine with shielding gas.
I find the flux core wire splatters WAY to much.

ReplyQuote
(@kootenay-kid)
Reputable Member

Nice job on the bus.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

The little welders are useful....Running mine with shielding gas.
I find the flux core wire splatters WAY to much.

Nice work.......flux core splatters with crappy wire, use lincoln or esab only. Good Lincoln .030 flux core in 10 pound rolls is just 78 dollars at Pevey mart. That house brand, cheap Chinese made wire is such crap I have thrown it right across the yard. I do welds with the good stuff that you cant tell isn't done with shielding gas. (and im not a welder, never had a lesson, just a hack) Though .045 flux core is a dream to run but you need a 240 volt welder to light that stuff up proper.

my addition to the pantry.

I don't eat it...to much sugar in it for me, but I have a method for turning it into champagne/sparkling wine...

Your only as valuable as the alcohol you can produce....I plan to be valuable......or drunk

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

...I have a method for turning it into champagne/sparkling wine...

I'm sure many of us would like to see your recipe...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

...I have a method for turning it into champagne/sparkling wine...

I'm sure many of us would like to see your recipe...

I will think it over.....

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I will think it over.....

Please do. It would be interesting to try things that are made from the materials we store. It might also shed some light on things people will need if they wish to make them.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Plants and trees are 55% off at Canadian Tire near me. They sell from a "local" nursery and still have decent selection. Picked up 2 apricot trees, another cherry tree and got a ridiculous deal on 2 white currant bushes marked down to $2 each! Transplanted them today. Even if they die, at that price, it was totally worth the try.

Also added more young hen to my flock. They are in their quarantine coop to make sure they don't make the rest sick, but ironically, it appears I may be dealing with a disease with my main flock, so the new "quarantined" ones may actually be the safe ones.

Processed a large amount of beets and apples.

Finally, Mrs HP tells me that we added a Vitamix to our preps! Not sure I can agree that a $450 blender is a good prep, but oh well...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Learnt something this past weekend. Out on ATV excursion and person asked for a match to burn some nylon rope. Grabbed one of my water resistant match containers and discover half of the matches had lost their ability to ignite! All nice and dry but likely humid or the chemicals had simply lost potency!

As one who used to always cycle through my camping matches and never had an issue has suddenly come to understand how some simple things that one didn’t associate with an expiry type date,due indeed have a shelf life.

I went and tried a few other containers I have in some of my other bags etc and sure enough, some are showing signs of being unable to ignite. Sooooo, what have I added to my supplies this week will be one of refreshing all my matches!

Wondering if anyone believes silica and oxygen absorbers in a vacuum sealed bag would gaureentee success or one simply rotates them out every five.... years? Look forward to comments. I really was ticked about this because I had taken what I thought were very good means to keep them dry etc

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I would rotate them out myself, I think they are hydroscopic by nature.

Had to make a trip to the big city, did my usual check of kijiji before leaving and this sweet little unit followed me home.

in like new condition!

this was the model before the eu1000 inverter series.

I am already load testing it and it appears to sip fuel like the eu series, roughly .5, .6 liters per hour at 400-500 watt load. This is (I think) a near end of production unit as the earlier production units had all metal case, and this one has plastic black end pieces.

I wont say what I paid, but will say in the near mint condition it is in, I could resell it easy, and make a couple c notes

(PS, Just returned to update fuel use, I was off a bit repeated testing is coming in at somewhere around .7 to .75 liters at medium load, good but not as good as the new eu1000 or even eu2000, but then again a much simpler unit.)

ReplyQuote
Grouchyprepper
(@grouchyprepper)
Estimable Member

Nice Peppercorn

Clarence, you will find that flints in lighter deteriorate also. (from experience) 😮

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks peppercorn & grouchy.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

...I went and tried a few other containers I have in some of my other bags etc and sure enough, some are showing signs of being unable to ignite. Sooooo, what have I added to my supplies this week will be one of refreshing all my matches!

Hey Clarence,

Match heads are affected by being exposed to air. Try coating the tips in wax. This prevents air being exposed to the matchhead entirely and adds an extra layer of waterproofing. Moreover, it provides extra safety when keeping 'strike anywhere' matches together in the same container or pocket.

ReplyQuote
(@entropy)
Reputable Member

...I went and tried a few other containers I have in some of my other bags etc and sure enough, some are showing signs of being unable to ignite. Sooooo, what have I added to my supplies this week will be one of refreshing all my matches!

Hey Clarence,

Match heads are affected by being exposed to air. Try coating the tips in wax. This prevents air being exposed to the matchhead entirely and adds an extra layer of waterproofing. Moreover, it provides extra safety when keeping 'strike anywhere' matches together in the same container or pocket.

a thin coat of "clear coat nail polish" works well too.
wax is likely a faster application!?!?!

adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Hey Clarence,

Clarence,

The nail polish is better because you never know when you'll want to use it on your nails for a night on the town.... The perps may not kill you if they think you're a woman....but you may be faced with other terrors... LOL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey Clarence,

Clarence,

The nail polish is better because you never know when you'll want to use it on your nails for a night on the town.... The perps may not kill you if they think you're a woman....but you may be faced with other terrors... LOL

Geese Thanks Wayne,glad you have my six

ReplyQuote
Page 89 / 92
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network