May 05, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Mice & Health - Food preps

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
11.1 K Views
(@bettersafe)
Trusted Member

Wild_E - they had a bunch of thistle in there as well! no pinecones though. I have dogs, so I'm leery of using coolant, but I do have poison liberally hidden in places the dogs can't get into.

will definitely put some of those bucket traps (with water) under vehicle next time I see any sign of a critter in vehicle. It's been a good winter, mouse-wise πŸ˜€

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

the coolant was only because it was so cold and I thought they might like the sweet candy smell. I wedged it in there good and tight though just in case. In retrospect, yes do not put in especially depending on the dogs personality. Mine just does not go near it. The windshield washer was probably enough though.

Glad you'v had a mouse free winter, mine not so, they keep coming like hungry hoards of looters!

ReplyQuote
 John
(@john)

I've had mice in my storage twice. Destroyed food, clothing and hockey gear. Thanks for some tips here people.

ReplyQuote
(@kootenay-kid)
Reputable Member

Our cats are great mousers......they are also very good at letting them go in the house. I have mouse traps everywhere, but never catch anything. I did find a dead mouse (very well played with) beside DH shoes the other morning. They have not been able to get to my food, but they sure make a mess in the cupboard that has casseroles in it. I have to sanitize everything before use. Yes, there is a peanut butter baited trap i that cupboard; as well, the cats can open the door and climb around in there.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This was posted on another site (Italicized is the poster's comments):

DIY Mouse Trap (bottles, rubber bands)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDgAuVK1Br0#t=11

"I'm still partial to the bucket-can and PVC pipe ideas for outdoors and in and around sheds, and chained rat-sized traps under milk crates for the garden or along known squirrel routes, but this seems like a nice alternative for indoors.

Although you'll have to deal with the live mouse afterward and there are clever guys who will escape, it doesn't pose a risk to toddlers' toes or pets' noses. Plus, its using a readily found free/waste item for those on super tight budgets, or whose traps end up broken, or who didn't plan for enough traps."

ReplyQuote
dollyndrew
(@dollyndrew)
Estimable Member

I built the bucket trap. Bait it with peanut butter ( just smear some on the far end of the bottle). Works like a hot damn.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Our cat gratefully brings us live mice like a dog playing "fetch" πŸ™„ - and drops them for us....... alive. We now keep a bucket nearby for these occasions so we can just quickly put it over the mouse (trying to run away) and scoop it into a five gallon bucket. I let them go the next morning...... way down the road.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network